06-21-2017, 04:04 PM
User Info
I just finished my first shave with a 34G.  I'm amazed at this razor.  I have vintage Gillettes (Olds, NEWs, Techs, Super Speeds) an ASD2, a Fatip Grande and a 23C.  This razor certainly lives up to it's reputation.  I never really liked the long handle of the 23C and the top cap of that razor is a bit wider than the bottom plate and occasionally I can feel the sharp corners.  I know the Merkur heads are supposed to be the same but the cap of my new 34G does not protrude.  Length, balance and aggressiveness/effectiveness were just perfect for me.  Being of Zamac construction I don't expect the life cycle of a vintage or the all-brass Fatip but I'm seriously considering letting go of a few of the old Gillettes I have and picking up a few reserve 34Cs.  My first DE was a Muhle R89 but I sold it long ago.  I think the Merkurs may benefit from not having a molded Zamac post like the EJ/Muhle heads but instead seem to have an affixed non-Zamac  post.  I'm hoping that vigilant cleaning and avoiding over tightening will prevent trouble in this area.  After a few years of gradually improving my technique and prep I'm able to get pretty much the same shave with any of my razors, but this little guy was spot on for comfort while providing excellent results.  I should have bought one of these right off the bat and been done with it.  It might be Zamac...... but it's an awesome razor.

1 227
 06-21-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
Excellent review. I think I still have a 34 somewhere...Might have to dust it off as they are solid shavers. P.s. I never had a quality issue with any of my Merkurs.

73 4,303
 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
34 is my daily driver, have them both in gold and chrome.   The chrome one has slight slide advantage on the skin.   But the gold looks so luxurious. 

Have tried many razors, but the 34 is the daily driver and for good reason, so easy to shave with, smooth, efficient, and aggressive enough for daily shaves without irritation.

5 118
 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
User Info
Hey guys. I feel like I heard someplace that the Weber design was based in part on the geometry of the 34?  Has anyone heard that as well or am I just spreading rumors?

17 1,430
 06-22-2017, 07:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(06-21-2017, 04:15 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Excellent review. I think I still have a 34 somewhere...Might have to dust it off as they are solid shavers. P.s. I never had a quality issue with any of my Merkurs.

Yes, I agree. I own 2 Merkur razors and quality seems to be first rate.

7 2,159