06-21-2017, 09:39 PM
User Info
Hi

Does anybody use a shaving soap?  I never used it, and seeing if its actually a good alternative to cream.   If so, anybody recommend any brands they use? Look forward to hearing from you

0 4
 06-22-2017, 02:56 AM
User Info
(06-21-2017, 09:39 PM)garfield Wrote: Hi

Does anybody use a shaving soap?  I never used it, and seeing if its actually a good alternative to cream.   If so, anybody recommend any brands they use? Look forward to hearing from you

Almost everyone here would be using shave soaps. There are shave soaps ranging from 5 USD to 50 USD. Some of the common brands are Mystic Waters, Cold River Soap Works, Mike's Natural etc from USA and then there are European brands like Meissner Tremonia, Pannacrema, Eufros etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 702
 06-22-2017, 05:25 AM
User Info

As noted, soaps are generally the most dominate choice in the wetshaving community so look around on the forum - you'll find volumes of information on products and reviews.  Also, take the time to introduce yourself in the Introduction forum so we can "meet" you!   Smile

73 4,269
 06-22-2017, 06:56 AM
User Info
Definitely try Tallow & Steel and L&L Grooming soaps. They cost a bit more, but definitely deliver with the best slickness, cushion, and post-shave feel a soap can provide.

10 144
 06-22-2017, 09:29 AM
User Info
To me at least creams and soaps compliment each other more than they compete... that said, I do seem to prefer hard soaps.

It comes down to how much you want to spend, any preferred scents, and if you prefer artisan or non-.artisan soap. Plenty of options either way, you might want to check out a reputable vendor like BullGoose to get some ideas.

A personal favourite is Mike's Natural Soaps, but I got many others I like as well Smile

3 4,370
 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Any of these makers will meet or exceed your expectations of soap. 

Barrister & Mann 42
Barrister & Mann Diamond Shaving Soap
Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti (Beta 4.0) 150g
Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina (Beta 4.2) 150g
Martin De Candre Fougere (fern) - 200g
PannaCrema Nuàvia Verde
PannaCrema Nuàvia Red
KROKOS Abbate Y La Mantia Shaving Soap (Saffron)
JabonMan EUFROS Ylang Ylang
JabonMan EUFROS Brisa de Oriente
JabonMan EUFROS Rosa Bourbon
JabonMan EUFROS Fougere
CRSW Juniper Shaving Soap
Tallow & Steel Rainforest Shave Soap
Soapy Bathman Irish Waterfalls Shave Soap
Centerfield Made Exclusively for David James Shaving Supply
Chiseled Face / Zoologist – Civet Shaving Soap
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Shave Soap
Grooming Dept – Lime shaving soap
Grooming Dept – Elan
TABULA RASA - Abraka Barber Shaving Soap
TABULA RASA – Steam Punk Shaving Soap
Nanny’s Silly Soap - Yushu Traditional
KShaveWorx - Frazzled Kilt Shave Soap
Gentleman’s Groom Room Essence of Scotland - Mountain Yew Shaving Soap
Fitjar - Fjellheim (Mountain Fresh) Shaving Soap 

11 659
 06-22-2017, 05:34 PM
User Info
I think I have used a soap once or twice , as mentioned many of the gents here use soap. Creams especially the top tier options such as castle Forbes , penhaligans , and xpec to name a few are equally as good for me as soaps. If I were to recommend a soap to try it would have to be Mystic Waters unscented. Super easy to lather , super easy on the skin. If you decide you like using soaps there are many scents to chose from as long as your skin does not react to anything you should be able to find something you like.

59 1,405
 06-22-2017, 06:08 PM
User Info
Many of the guys here prefer soaps to creams.  There are a lot of good soaps available.  Soap preferences are highly subjective, so if you ask for recommendations you're likely to be overwhelmed by the number of suggestions.  Some of the excellent artisan soaps you may want to consider are Asylum (BullGoose), Cold River Soap Works, Mystic Water, Mike's Natural Soaps, Shannon's, and Wet Shaving Products.  Look at the scent descriptions each artisan offers and go for the ones which appeal to you.

48 5,703
 06-22-2017, 10:15 PM
User Info
Also, part of the reason soaps are more popular around here is because of the variety. A lot of the creams all have the same base so they perform similarly.

6 677
 06-23-2017, 04:52 AM
User Info
Generally I use two brands of shaving soaps, Tabac and Proraso.  I also use just plain bars of soap from Herbaria.  I've tried other brands but simply never found any I like better than my old standbys.

In creams it is almost exclusively TOBS.

0 70
 06-23-2017, 06:30 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info

Shaving cream in a can is (mostly) like dinner in a box; TV dinners. Sure you can eat 'em. They may suffice, and even hit the spot, but if they're all you've ever had, how could you know the difference between a meal-in-a-box and REAL FOOD, and what a significant difference it might be? Of course, some don't care, but how would you know unless you try. Traditional shaving products like hard soaps and creams (not from propellant cans) are like real food. The benefits are higher quality (healthier) ingredients, Interesting and varied fragrances and interactive involvement in the process culminating in what many consider to be a far more satisfying shaving experience.

20 329
 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
Maybe investigate the postings in the "Soaps & Creams sub-forum?   http://shavenook.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

1 109
 06-26-2017, 06:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Many days since the OP's first and still only post. It seems his questions have been answered. Well done, TSN Biggrin

4 1,903