06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  • Wayjr
  • Kennesaw, GA
User Info
This has been discussed before in other threads, but I think that it would be good to revisit it. I have learned many things as I have been wet shaving.
Here are a few things that I have learned.
1. Time is your friend. Take the time to properly shave. This means properly prepping your face/neck, shaving, and then applying post shave. If you are don't have the time, use ac cartridge razor. You'll save your face/neck from being shredded.
2. Properly lather the soap or cream. Get enough soap/cream to get on your brush for a good lather. Then, using the brush work the soap/cream into a thick frothy lather so that it will protect your face.
3. Go slow. It doesn't matter if you make one pass or four. The slower you go the better the shave and less of a chance that you'll cut yourself.
4. Use aftershave. After all in the end, your scraping a metal razor across your face. Whether your preference is balm or splash, using an aftershave will moisturizer your face and help it heal.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice. The best way to improve your technique is by practicing. Practicing will also help you improve your lathering skills.

Wayne

0 55
 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM
User Info
Thanks, Wayne, this is a good set of reminders for all of us.  Methods may differ but the fundamentals of a good shave are captured in your summary.  Well done!

73 4,346
 09-07-2017, 08:30 PM
User Info
(06-22-2017, 10:09 AM)Wayjr Wrote: This has been discussed before in other threads, but I think that it would be good to revisit it. I have learned many things as I have been wet shaving.
Here are a few things that I have learned.
1.  Time is your friend. Take the time to properly shave. This means properly prepping your face/neck, shaving, and then applying post shave. If you are don't have the time, use ac cartridge razor. You'll save your face/neck from being shredded.
2.  Properly lather the soap or cream. Get enough soap/cream to get on your brush for a good lather. Then, using the brush work the soap/cream into a thick frothy lather so that it will protect your face.
3.  Go slow. It doesn't matter if you make one pass or four. The slower you go the better the shave and less of a chance that you'll cut yourself.
4. Use aftershave. After all in the end, your scraping a metal razor across your face.  Whether your preference is balm or splash, using an aftershave will moisturizer your face and help it heal.
5.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  The best way to improve your technique is by practicing. Practicing will also help you improve your lathering skills.

Wayne

Love your points. I would add "use no pressure!"

0 5
 10-14-2017, 05:35 AM
User Info
I think the most important thing I've learned is to use the reduction method and not try to get BBS in one pass.

1 54
 01-06-2018, 03:50 PM
User Info
Yep....that's pretty much the way I was taught.

0 16
 01-07-2018, 06:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That method worked for me for over 51 years.  Now I apply the same principals to my electric shaver whether I'm using an electric pre-shave or a good wet lather.

181 25,142
 01-07-2018, 06:54 AM
User Info
Yes some very good information and facts here.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 46
 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM
User Info
Great set of reminders

I used to watch my father shave in the mid 1960's, I was like 7 years old, he could have shaved with anything he desired like an expensive electric or whatnot, he chose a DE Gillette 
probably a Super Speed and Gillette Blue blades.
He did it using shave cream from a can like Gillette foamy lemon-lime or menthol, and it was simple and clean. 
His face always smooth to the touch and smelled nice too.

Take time
A good lather
Go slow
Use after shave

Sage words of advise, and how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice practice practice!

0 33
 07-16-2018, 04:46 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Good set of basics.   For me, thinking about the shave process and not just  mechanical steps was a big step.  I have started to notice the difference in brushes and razors.  A new & mild razor did shaved my neck difficult spots in the 1st pass today.  Practice, Practice, Practice is definitely important.

On a lighter note, I noticed money savings was not one of the things you learned about shaving.

9 690
 07-23-2018, 12:55 PM
User Info
I have a Mùhle Rocca, and find that two passes are all I need using a very light touch both time. The least pressure upsets my skin! I could use more pressure with my now broken Edwin J..

0 140
 09-05-2018, 06:33 AM
User Info
Last night I took out my RazoRock GC and started shaving. It immediately felt like a blade that had been used 10 times, pulling and leaving a raw spot on my chin. After the first pass, I checked to see which blade I was using, and as I did I noticed I HAD NOT TIGHTENED DOWN THE BLADE from my previous shave. A Big Duhh to a newbie, lesson learned. My 2nd pass was smooth and efficient.

0 19
 09-05-2018, 09:27 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
The biggest lesson I have learned from DE shaving is to appreciate the time spent relaxing. 

There's no reason why not to enjoy something that we all love to do. 

Isn't it funny when you hear people say something about how much they hate shaving? I tell them to grow a beard and go caveman or start wet shaving.

0 345
 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM
User Info
The biggest thing I have learned is a double edge razor will save you money is a LIE. But I still like it. A little humor there.

1 65
 09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
User Info
Aside from the mechanics of traditional wet shaving, one of the most important things I learned was to take my time and enjoy the journey.  I shave at night and one of the biggest reasons is that I have time to enjoy the ritual.  I put my brush to soak, shower, wash my face with a facial wash, choose my hardware and software (this can take a few minutes since I like to smell each soap and see which one I want to shave with, lather up, and shave.  I usually have some jazz playing and sometimes a shot of bourbon or scotch.  I'm on the move and deal with a lot of people, so that is my "me" time.

0 80
 09-12-2018, 03:59 PM
User Info
(09-05-2018, 03:11 PM)Hardrock Wrote: The biggest thing I have learned is a double edge razor will save you money is a LIE. But I still like it. A little humor there.

No humor at all.  It's the honest truth.  I got into DE shaving because I need to do something better for my skin.  When I saw how cheap razors blades were, I figured that a welcome side-effect would be that I was going to save money.  Boy was I wrong.  I don't have the thousands invested that some have, but I took a look at my "den" today and realized that the whole "save money" thing is a myth.  I love traditional wet shaving and would never go back to cartridges, but I have surrendered myself to the fact that I'm actually spending more money to shave.

0 80
 09-16-2018, 08:00 AM
User Info
I Believe wet shaving just made shaving fun and interesting, since is something we all/most of us require to do as hygiene on a daily basis.
Exploring, technique, gear, study, trial & error made what once was boring interesting and exciting.
At least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 130