06-22-2017, 12:53 PM
User Info
I've been told that several (most?/all?) bases in the US have a "barber shop" as part of the Base / Post exchange... is this usually a 'proper' barbershop, or just a hair dresser with a different name?

Odd perhaps, but I have reasons to ask Tongue

3 4,343
 06-22-2017, 01:39 PM
User Info
My daughter is in the Navy and the exchange at her base has a barbershop that looks like one in the civilian world.

43 5,477
 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
User Info
The barbershop on our postage stamp sized base was a real barbershop, but it only did haircuts as far as I remember. We all shaved daily so there was need for that service.

Dang! Think of all the $ I could have saved If I wore the hairdoo that I sport today back then! (a buzzcut that I do myself)

32 6,419
 06-22-2017, 02:22 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
They have barbershops but it's haircuts only.  The going rate is around $10 a haircut.  I've had great barbers, and some real hack jobs - uneven side burns, a friend had his ear cut with an electric razor... LoL

46 893
 06-22-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
A lot of them never even used their scissors on Marine bases ... but the barbers were experts at high-and-tight haircuts using electric clippers!   Smile

1 148
 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM
User Info
Every USAF base I was stationed at had a barbershop but it was regulation haircuts only, not full service with shaves, etc. Efficiency was the model to get everyone within standards.

0 159
 06-22-2017, 05:22 PM
User Info
I was in Jack's war.  As you can assume a long time ago when people thought he was a god, I and many others did not.  During my tour I was a several bases of Army, Navy and Air Force.  There was a barber shop on all and they cut hair thats all.  These bases were mostly in southeast Asia.  Nobody gave a damn who they looked like.

0 235
 06-22-2017, 05:46 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-22-2017, 12:53 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I've been told that several (most?/all?) bases in the US have a "barber shop" as part of the Base / Post exchange... is this usually a 'proper' barbershop, or just a hair dresser with a different name?

I'm kind of curious about your reasons for asking.

3 516
 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM
User Info
(06-22-2017, 05:46 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 12:53 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I've been told that several (most?/all?) bases in the US have a "barber shop" as part of the Base / Post exchange... is this usually a 'proper' barbershop, or just a hair dresser with a different name?

I'm kind of curious about your reasons for asking.

Reasons Wink

So I can expect to get a cheap buzzcut - which suits me fine, since my hairstyle these days is "as short as my clippers can manage" - but nothing more if I should happen to find myself near one. Thank you guys Smile

3 4,343
 06-23-2017, 04:01 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Most state side base barber shops only do haircuts.  Many years ago when I was stationed in Okinawa Japan the barbers also did straight razor shaves, and they were excellent.

8 1,241
 06-23-2017, 04:27 AM
User Info
(06-22-2017, 03:56 PM)1981Eagle Wrote: A lot of them never even used their scissors on Marine bases ... but the barbers were experts at high-and-tight haircuts using electric clippers!   Smile

I will verify that.  The "barbershop" on our Marine base mainly just did a quick cut with electric clippers.  The Woman Marines on our base went out in town to get their hair styled.

4 464
 07-01-2017, 10:38 AM
User Info
(06-22-2017, 03:56 PM)1981Eagle Wrote: A lot of them never even used their scissors on Marine bases ... but the barbers were experts at high-and-tight haircuts using electric clippers!   Smile

I can attest to this also. The USMC was the best with the clippers. On the Army base I had to make returns to square up my flat top. The USAF bases were a bit glitzyer with the thinning shears but mine was close enough they didnt have to use them. I do recall the the barbershop at Nellis would use a straight to clean up my neck and over my ears. I didnt mind till I felt that cold steel quivering against my skin. I bought a 30 dollar set of clippers and never looked back. A 10 dollar haircut plus tip every week buys alot of diapers.

8 169
 07-02-2017, 05:08 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I can only speak to how it was when my father was a career Airman. They always had a barbershop, my father ( and I) got a haircut every two weeks and the price at one time was 2 bucks.

7 2,249
 07-06-2017, 09:26 AM
User Info
While I was in ('85-'00) most were affiliated with the PX/NEX. While I was stationed in Iceland the base barber was a contractor however. Anybody stationed in Kef in the early '90's will remember Henry the barber. No matter what you asked for, you were gonna walk out looking like everybody else, with a high fade. Henry had that one cut in his repertoire...

0 5
 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM
User Info
In my experience with the Army over the last 20-something years, most bases with an Army and Air Force Exchange service (AAFES) exchange have a basic barbershop.  The barbers are a diverse lot, some great, some not so much.  You can count on an OK military style haircut.  By operating rules for the Army or DOD, they cannot use any kind of razor, but do use clippers and shears and take all comers.  Lots of kids.  In busy ones you will see customers gravitate toward the good barbers, and away from the poor ones.  

There are unique experiences to be had however related to the US military from a barbering standpoint.  While a cadet, nearly all the barbers were old men of Italian descent from New York City, as were the tailors.  Many of those guys are gone, but it was great for a kid from one of the most rural parts of the US to come to New York, "Where you from?"..."Is that west of Jersey?"

In the days before the officer and NCO clubs were phased out, one could usually get a better quality barber at one of the clubs than at the PX, even though they were technically part of AAFES.  My barbers at the Fort Hood officer's club were brilliant but driven away when the club system was changed.  Some, like the Cascade Club at Fort Lewis just kept the same barbers as ever.  I am sure you can get a haircut from Ms. Kim today as you could 20 years ago, the same elder Korean lady that has cut the hair of every commanding general of I Corps probably going back to Schwartzkopf in the late 1980s.  

While in theater, I had my hair cut occasionally by Indian and Indonesian men hired by AAFES, who were generally used to giving a neck massage after the cut.  The rest of the times, my fellow soldiers cut mine when we were too far away from the big bases.  

My most unique barbering experience is with the US Disciplinary Barracks Barbershop on Fort Leavenworth.  I think the current price is $4.25 with absolutely no tipping, by appointment only.  These are trustee inmates from the US Disciplinary Barracks (yes, the main prison for the US DOD) serve as the barbers in a training program.  If you go, bear in mind that while good behavior has earned them status, they are nearly all convicted murderers.  (I did not believe this until working with one of the former operations officers of the prison).  And they are allowed to use razors, including straights, and they do give shaves.  There is a certain...dynamic if you request that service.  There is nearly always a large, muscular, and armed MP sergeant at the entrance.  (Well, he is always there, just not always large).  The barbers are all unique characters whose stories in just the barbershop could fill several posts.  

I am now retired from the Army and the barber who cuts my hair is the man who ran the barber training programs for many years at the Federal Prison in Leavenworth and the USDB.  However, he is now approaching his late 70s, and I expect he may retire soon.  He is a very nice fellow.

To the OP, should you ever come to the US Command and General Staff College, please send me a PM.  I noticed that there was a Norwegian officer in the last class.

26 245
 07-06-2017, 05:42 PM
User Info
Matt, I don't plan on staff college anytime soon; I'm perfectly happy as a captain with the distinct possibility of one more notch up the ladder before I retire - but I loved your stories Smile

My commanding officer went to staff college in the States, but that was more than a decade ago... but he have some pretty funny stories, most of them from off post adventures Biggrin

3 4,343
 07-06-2017, 07:30 PM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 05:42 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Matt, I don't plan on staff college anytime soon; I'm perfectly happy as a captain with the distinct possibility of one more notch up the ladder before I retire - but I loved your stories Smile

My commanding officer went to staff college in the States, but that was more than a decade ago... but he have some pretty funny stories, most of them from off post adventures Biggrin

Hans, there are more adventures to be had in the Kansas City area than one first realizes.  Although I always seemed to have my share while on short trips to Europe. Wink  Hope you can make it.

26 245