08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Evening all,

I'm several shaves into my return to traditional shaving but I'm experiencing the same problem that I encountered previously. My skin is quite particular. I've been using Edwin Jagger 'Sea Buckthorn' cream which is a pretty good cream and performs well but I can tell that my face is on the edge of its comfort zone. While I'm not actually having a reaction to the cream I do feel that if I used it everyday I probably would. I feel a very slight but distinct burn, not awful but uncomfortable enough to notice. If memory serves, the cream I had the most success with in the past was Nancy Boy 'Replenishing' and I have some of that on order. As trying lots of different soaps and creams is quite costly (been there, done that) I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a soap or a cream that might be suitable for the more sensitively skinned gent. A couple of caveats though. No tallow or animal derived products, that's not my thing. I'm in the UK and as much as I'd like to say that money is no object... it is, so preferably something easily sourced from the UK or EU. If I could afford to buy soaps and creams willy nilly, I would but alas, I can't. As for scent, my sense of smell is terrible so the performance is much more important than the scent (which I can hardly smell anyway - I'm hard of smelling). Soap or cream, either is ok. I'm very happy with my Mühle Silvertip Fibre so I'll learn to get lather from whatever I have to use. Perhaps a product with fewer ingredients might be the way to go, then I might be able to work what it is my face doesn't like (unless of course, it just doesn't like being shaved).

0 132
 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have very dry skin and now, sensitive too.
I can recommend you some products like Art of Shaving unscented shaving soap or shaving cream(I shave with this cream today and very good),Tabula Rasa unscented shaving cream ,Calani shaving soap "Purissima",Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera shaving cream,Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn street shaving soap and cream,Truefitt and Hill Ultimate comfort shaving cream or the Taylor of Old Bond Street for sensitive skin.
Also,consider the idea of using a pre shave oil or gel.The RazoRock shave gel could be use as a pre shave gel and works wonders for me.Also the BlueBeards Revenge pre shave oil or King of Shaves pre shave oil.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
I think Calani's Purissimo is a good idea indeed: http://www.calani-seifenmanufaktur.de/ep...ucts/Pu-RS

The Oriental Plum is a gem: http://www.calani-seifenmanufaktur.de/ep...ucts/OP-RS

I can also recommend the Haslinger, maybe the Aloe Vera?
http://www.rasierladen.de/haslinger-rasi...?shop_ID=2

Also IIRC Martin de Candre is veggie, and very mild: http://www.shaving-soap.net/presentation...-soap.html

0 641
 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Some excellent suggestions, thanks. Martin de Candre is definitely on my 'to try' list, if only it wasn't so expensive! Haslinger is a good price but sadly it contains tallow so wouldn't be suitable for me.

0 132
 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
User Info
Not British...

Provence Sante is a good quality soap and not animal based, so are the Klar soaps, Klar Kabinett is fairly inexpensive in the States when it's available. Since you're hard of smelling it should work fine for you. DeVergulde Hand is Dutch, veggie, inexpensive, and pretty nice, especially factoring in the low price.

32 6,308
 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
An all natural shave cream you might want to try is Kiss My
Face. They are all natural and very inexpensive.

100 12,437
 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have sensitive skin and I have good luck with Speick and Proraso products.

173 23,486
 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of choice and I only wish I had the funds to sample them all. KMF is quite hard to find in the UK and not nearly as cheap as it is in the US (also, it appears that it contains parabens but I think that might be a mistake by the UK vendors). Speick is available from Connaught at a reasonable price. Klar looks interesting, I've been reading the threads about Klar and Dr Dittmar with interest. The Dittmar flakes seem good value but the soap actually works out slightly more expensive than MdC. Art of Shaving also works out expensive as it's American (the soap more so than the cream). I'm sure I've tried T&H Ultimate Comfort in the past and it hasn't left an impression on me either way, same with De Vergulde Hand (although I didn't have a particularly good brush back then). ToBS Jermyn Street does look interesting and could be worth a try, I might even be able to buy it from the shop as I'll be in London sometime in the next month or so.

The best value option seems to be the Calani Purissima soap, although the delivery cost is almost as much as the cost of the soap itself.

0 132
 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-24-2012, 02:06 PM)Exapno Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of choice and I only wish I had the funds to sample them all. KMF is quite hard to find in the UK and not nearly as cheap as it is in the US (also, it appears that it contains parabens but I think that might be a mistake by the UK vendors). Speick is available from Connaught at a reasonable price. Klar looks interesting, I've been reading the threads about Klar and Dr Dittmar with interest. The Dittmar flakes seem good value but the soap actually works out slightly more expensive than MdC. Art of Shaving also works out expensive as it's American (the soap more so than the cream). I'm sure I've tried T&H Ultimate Comfort in the past and it hasn't left an impression on me either way, same with De Vergulde Hand (although I didn't have a particularly good brush back then). ToBS Jermyn Street does look interesting and could be worth a try, I might even be able to buy it from the shop as I'll be in London sometime in the next month or so.

The best value option seems to be the Calani Purissima soap, although the delivery cost is almost as much as the cost of the soap itself.
If you are heading to London,just stop by the TOBS shop and try the ones for sensitive skin.
I think that The Real Shaving CO has a cream for sensitive skin,which is made by Creightons too and its cheap there in UK,like 2 pounds.Also The Natural Grooming CO is another good one,found in ASDA.

86 7,123
 08-24-2012, 07:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Upon the recommendation of Teiste, I ordered some Tabula Rasa unscented shaving cream. Can't wait to try it.

173 23,486
 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I'm trying to find Tabula Rasa cream from the German site (http://www.1001seife.de/) but it's a nightmare to navigate. I think I'd be having trouble even if I was fluent in German!

0 132
 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Tabula Rasa are top notch shaving creams,thats all that I can say about them.

86 7,123
 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
i would have to highly suggest Mystic Water and Mike's Natural Soaps as they are very natural soaps and the best ones that i have tried so far. i also have very sensitive skin and i have used Cella, Vitos, and others that i found just had too many ingredients that i did not want on my face every day. Mama Bears unscented soaps are fine also, but i really enjoy the two i mentioned for the post-shave skin care.
i would also highly suggest you pick up some Unrefined Organic Shea Butter to help with any skin issues and to help heal and moisturize your skin after you shave. It is incredible stuff. Here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter
Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-25-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
Musgo Real shave cream has lanolin and helps soothe the skin. TOBS Avocado feels great. The Nancy Boy Replenishing is indeed good...and terrific, protecting lather, if you use a brush with it. Like Johnny says, the Speick products are great and the Proraso.

I thought the Tabula Rasa was pretty expensive, if you need to watch your money. For a bit less, Castle Forbes Lavender is terrific. Lavender is healing to the skin, supposedly.

Good ole Palmolive or Prep is great too.

21 1,472
 08-26-2012, 04:39 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Vegan rules out a great contender in MWF, (Mitchell's Wool Fat) but there are many alternatives.

I would agree with the Klar range. Either the Klar Seifan in any of the three scents or the Klar Kabinett, a stronger, rose scent. Even though the Kabinett appears expensive initially, the amount supplied will last you years even with daily usage.

Dr. Dittmar's,TOBS Avocado cream, any Nancy Boy, Proraso, (the Sandalwood Cream specifically),Speick cream or stick and Mike's soaps but find the veggie based one without any tallow.

Dr. Selby's is a fantastic soap,great for sensitive skin, priced well and it lasts forever. I don't think it has any animal based ingredients in it.

No doubt you'll find one and out of all of the above there are many, well priced alternatives to try and don't forget, you can always sell off or trade what doesn't work for you on the forums.

6 905
 08-26-2012, 01:16 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I'm pretty sure Dr. Selby's has animal derived ingredients in it, the soap at least (no idea about the creams). Teiste knows more about it than I do. Shame really. Mystic Water and Mike's Natural are also tallow although I didn't know Mike did a veg based one, I'll check out his site.

0 132
 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Ingredients: Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, fragrances, CI45350, CI42015, CI47005

Dr. Selby's soap above; yes, Stearic acid.

Mike's; I guess that he was testing a veggie formula. I don't see one on his site now. You can e-mail him and check it out.

If you are still considering MdC, just note that the 170gm jar can last almost if not a year with daily usage. The lather it makes with my Muhle synthetic brush is astounding and requires only a small amount of product.
To the States, the shipping cost is high but hopefully, within the EU, it is tolerable.

6 905
 08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-26-2012, 01:16 PM)Exapno Wrote: I'm pretty sure Dr. Selby's has animal derived ingredients in it, the soap at least (no idea about the creams). Teiste knows more about it than I do. Shame really. Mystic Water and Mike's Natural are also tallow although I didn't know Mike did a veg based one, I'll check out his site.

Yes,the Stearic Acid comes from tallow in the Dr Selby ingredients.That was said by the Terry SL guys (the company behind Dr Selby and other brands).

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
And the La Toja's stick Potassium and Sodium sterates are from tallow too.Said by the Henkel stuff (I had a phone conversation with them).

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Some things to keep in mind- you may likely be sensitive to any and all that have lanolin. I get the burn from them. Also keep in mind the other variable- the brush. Some types of hair might suit you better alleviating brush burn that you may be thinking is all soap issues. Just a thought.

135 1,944