06-24-2017, 10:23 AM
User Info
which shaving brush good better: Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger or Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger ??? and what's the difference between the two ?

i must to say i use the shaving brush for face lathering, i don't use in shaving bowl.

Thank you very much ....

0 58
 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
I don't have any experience with the Colonel but I do own a Berkeley 46 in Best.  I like it quite a bit.  With a 20 mm knot it is on the small side for me, so I only use it for travel these days.  Reading the specs, it looks like the Colonel has a 22 mm knot with almost the same loft.  I face lather with the Berkeley, so would expect the Colonel to be even better for face lathering given the knot diameter to loft ratio.  If I had to chose between the two, and were looking for an "every day" brush, I'd probably lean toward the Colonel given the bigger knot and somewhat bigger handle.

Good luck!

13 1,155
 06-24-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
In short the 46 is more of a face lather knot. It's loft is a bit shorter and has appropriate density for such a task. The colonel can be used for face lathering and has an overall larger face feel due to a larger diameter knot and a higher loft. The 46 has a shorter handle that some gents might find a bit small. If you think you wouldn't be put off by the 46 shorter and overall smaller handle (diameter) as well as its smaller sized knot it sure is a tremendous face lather brush. The colonel has always been the great do it all brush at a beautiful price point. It comes with a handle that is suitable for all it seems as it's just the right size in terms of height and the shape with natural diameter variance. The colonel might be a touch less dense and with the taller loft you will notice the knot splay a bit more. Either brush is a winner in my book. Please also consider the Duke series , the 1 might be a bit small similar to the 46 but the Duke 2 is a beautiful brush as well as the 3 , all legendary face lather tools.

59 1,404
 06-27-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info
You made me go look. One of my Simpson's is a Colonel.  I find it works well for both face or mug lathering and with soaps and creams.

0 69