06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
I had been reading about Charcoal Goods DEs for some time. At first I wasn't interested because they were brass handles with a Zamac head. Then came the brass heads, but I was still less than interested because I seem to be infatuated with stainless steel DEs. Finally, after reading so many praises I wanted one ....... and there were none to be had ! So I kept my ear to the ground, and my eyes peeled. Finally a WTT level 3 OC head came up in the BST on another forum. 

I came to an agreement on the head and a couple of hours later Charcoal Goods announced that Level 2 SBs would be available on the CG website. I had missed out on the OCs that were available a few weeks ago, so I was ready to go this time. I knew what to expect and I scored a level 2. Bought handles for both the OC and SB. Fortuitously both packages came to me this past Thursday. I had skipped a day shaving to give the OC level 3 some whiskers to mow down and I wasn't disappointed.

I used a tub of Charcoal Goods Shave Soap that Brian had been nice enough to include free gratis, perhaps because I had bought the two handles along with the head. I went with a new Gillette Nacet and the shave was exquisite. You know how some first shaves bring a smile to your face. This was one of those. The razor is up there with Wolfman, LA BBS-1, Timeless, Blackbird and any other of the many I've had the pleasure of shaving with. 

Next day was the SB and the same Nacet. This was the level 2 SB so the one days growth was appropriate for testing it out. Another fantastic shave, though I confess my preference for the level 3. I have seen someone recently describe Brian as an artist. I must admit I concur with that assessment. There is something elegant about these two razors in terms of design, size and feel. If you're on the fence on getting a Charcoal Goods, jump in, the water is fine. 
[Image: p1020910-jpg.13811]
[Image: p1020911-jpg.13812]
[Image: p1020912-jpg.13813]

7 223
 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM
User Info
Fantastic report, Jimmy. Brian's creativity has pushed the envelope in an incredibly crowded market.

158 1,016
 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
They look Great! Enjoy them.

59 4,385
 06-24-2017, 04:50 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Your Level 3 open comb with the Helix handle is identical to mine. It's my favorite razor, out of 60 or so, including Wolfman, ATT, Timeless, etc., in both form and function. Brian is truly both an artist and an artisan. Well done!

5 316
 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for a good review Jimmy!

48 5,717
 06-24-2017, 05:36 PM
User Info
Jimmy, your nice review is consistent with my first crack at the Level 2 brass head I just received.  Smooth sailing all the way.  Now, I await a chance at Level 3.  Patience is a virtue.

73 4,269