06-25-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
I happened to pick up a couple of packs recently to fulfill an order and had my first shave with them. I am no fan of the Derby Extra. Very mediocre in my estimation and there are better blades out there at just about the same price point. But these Derby Premium blades are of much better quality. Even the packaging looks better and a bit more classy. The blade was sharp, smooth and forgiving. An excellent near BBS shave first time out. I won't put them at the top of the list with just one shave. Need to get a few more shaves in and go through a couple more blades, but if they provide this type of shave consistently they just might be worth $10 for a 100 pack.   Sisi
[Image: zQSzL2E.jpg]

1 89
 06-25-2017, 06:43 AM
User Info
I wonder what the difference is between the two.
They are both from the same Turkish plant and have the same coatings. Maybe it's a quality control thing and only the best from a production run, make the cut???
Anyway I've never shaved with a Derby...I might have to try one out.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1 94
 06-25-2017, 06:57 AM
User Info
Derby Premium! I'll give them a try. 

I used the Extra. They were fair.

1 401
 06-25-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 06:43 AM)kberga69 Wrote: I wonder what the difference is between the two.
They are both from the same Turkish plant and have the same coatings. Maybe it's a quality control thing and only the best from a production run, make the cut???

Well, the Derby Extra say S/S with a Chrome/Ceramic coating if I'm not mistaken. And these have the same but have added a Platinum-Tungsten with Polymer coated edges.... Whether those make a difference, I do not know. But they are better than the Original. If I had to compare them I would say somewhere between Personna Lab Blues, Polsilver SI and just about there to GSB's. At least imo.....

1 89
 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM
User Info
Check out this generous pif by Ricardo. http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=45163
The blades are definetly sharper and the stiffness/flexibility is kind of weird. I put one in a slant and it did not twist but bent a little. 
On top of that and more importantly, there is something in the coating that irritates my skin, so I PIFed them.

8 1,064
 06-25-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 07:07 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 06:43 AM)kberga69 Wrote: I wonder what the difference is between the two.

Well, the Derby Extra say S/S with a Chrome/Ceramic coating if I'm not mistaken. And these have the same but have added a Platinum-Tungsten with Polymer coated edges.... Whether those make a difference, I do not know. But they are better than the Original. If I had to compare them I would say somewhere between Personna Lab Blues, Polsilver SI and just about there to GSB's. At least imo.....
The extras have the same coating.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

0 9
 06-25-2017, 08:31 AM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 08:01 AM)sky pilot 83 Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:07 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:

The extras have the same coating.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk
Indeed they are coated the same. I have no idea what makes the premium feel better than the extra, but I do notice a significant difference between the 2. Maybe a higher grade of steel perhaps or process?

1 89
 06-25-2017, 06:13 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I am a derby extra fan.  However, i fully accept the experiences that we have all had and the varied opinions of derbys.

I just received a few tucks of the premium blades and have only shaved twice with them, but i think there is definitely some type of difference,  felt a bit sharper and very smooth.

0 357
 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
For those of you interested in Derby Premium, you may want to look at these 2016 threads on those blades.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ight=derby

48 5,727
 06-26-2017, 04:30 AM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 06:29 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: For those of you interested in Derby Premium, you may want to look at these 2016 threads on those blades.

Thank you.....

1 89
 06-28-2017, 03:05 AM
User Info
The manufacturer stated that they are using Swedish Steel (Sandvik) for the premium blades and they made improvements in the coating process. These may be the difference.

17 454
 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 06:21 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: I happened to pick up a couple of packs recently to fulfill an order and had my first shave with them. I am no fan of the Derby Extra. Very mediocre in my estimation and there are better blades out there at just about the same price point. But these Derby Premium blades are of much better quality. Even the packaging looks better and a bit more classy. The blade was sharp, smooth and forgiving. An excellent near BBS shave first time out. I won't put them at the top of the list with just one shave. Need to get a few more shaves in and go through a couple more blades, but if they provide this type of shave consistently they just might be worth $10 for a 100 pack.   Sisi
[Image: zQSzL2E.jpg]
The Modern Man has them for $7.US/100

0 22
 07-02-2017, 02:07 AM
User Info
(06-28-2017, 03:05 AM)Barbaros Razors Wrote: The manufacturer stated that they are using Swedish Steel (Sandvik) for the premium blades and they made improvements in the coating process. These may be the difference.

Thanks for the info. This could very well might be the case. Whatever it is they are doing, it works. Great shaves with these blades.

1 89