06-28-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
So I now rotate three brushes, a Kent BK2, a Frank Silvertip, and an Omega Boar hair. I have to say that each brush produces fine lather, and I could easily do with just anyone of them. Each has a slightly different feel, but the performance is actually equal. Still there is something aesthetically pleasing about the rotation; each brush has its own visual character. I also rotate three razors, a 1951 Gillette Aristocrat, a 1952 Made-in-Canada Gillette Tech, and a 1974 Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty). Again, the design of each razor is aesthetically pleasing, but there is a real difference in performance. If I had to choose one, I would take the Tech.

0 89
 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Aesthetics is the main reason I buy and use the brushes i do. I mean, I can tell the differences in hair types and grades but it doesn't  MAKE a difference,  or much of one to me. At least not as much as the beauty of the design  does. Including the shape and proportion of the knot. I'd rather have a beautifully done Rooney style 3 in an impeccably understated material in a best badger than a Simpson Manchurian Keyhole (not a personal fan of the design).

7 2,361
 06-29-2017, 03:04 PM
User Info
(06-29-2017, 02:51 PM)Mouser Wrote: Aesthetics is the main reason I buy and use the brushes i do. I mean, I can tell the differences in hair types and grades but it doesn't  MAKE a difference,  or much of one to me. At least not as much as the beauty of the design  does. Including the shape and proportion of the knot. I'd rather have a beautifully done Rooney style 3 in an impeccably understated material in a best badger than a Simpson Manchurian Keyhole (not a personal fan of the design).
Design is important. I love the simplicity of the vintage Gillette razors. And the material used in brush handles plus the design can be amazing. I have to focus on not overdoing the acquisition thing.

0 89
 06-30-2017, 05:13 AM
User Info
Aesthetics certainly play a part but also change and variety and personal mood.

I gotta admit that over the more than half century I've been shaving I've accumulated more razors and been handed down more razors than any sane person needs.

But it is still fun to switch between soaps and creams and aftershaves and razors and blades and brushes as long as I can appreciate each experience.

0 173
 06-30-2017, 07:19 AM
User Info
I suppose we traditional wet shavers are like all other collectors, always looking for the next item. I haunt a consignment store where I've acquired my 1974 Super Adjustable and my 1952 Gillette Tech. If an open comb of any brand ever shows up, I won't be able to pass it up.

0 89