10-23-2017, 08:51 PM
User Info
(10-21-2017, 06:31 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: Matt, on the highest setting, what other razor does the Rex compare to? Thanks!

Very similar blade gap as a fatboy on the upper numbers (9) but remember that Gillette changes both gap and angle. Whereas the Ambassador gap alone.

0 220
 10-24-2017, 05:05 AM
User Info
Matt. I just recently acquired a mint vintage Gibbs Adjustable which you mentioned in your video was an inspiration when designing the head of the Rex and it shows. I had my first shave with the Gibbs and to be honest I'm still in a little disbelief because all I can say is WOW what a great shave!  I only needed 2 passes and just a touch up on my neck cowlick and it was a solid BBS result.  I had it set on 5 for the 1st pass and then down to 4 for the 2nd and touch up. So have you compared the REX to the Gibbs?  If so how does it compare shave wise with a Gibbs and how is it different from the Gibbs because what I experienced with the Gibbs was one of the nicest shaves that compares to some of the very best razors in my den and I have a good sized collection of modern and vintage razors including some Arsitocrats. Red Rings, Fatboy, Toggles, Streamline, NEW Deluxe Big Boy. Timeless. Charcoal, ATT and Blackland to name a few so it was in some pretty good company. So would I be as surprised with a shave by the REX as I was with the Gibbs?

0 134
 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 05:05 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote: Matt. I just recently acquired a mint vintage Gibbs Adjustable which you mentioned in your video was an inspiration when designing the head of the Rex and it shows. I had my first shave with the Gibbs and to be honest I'm still in a little disbelief because all I can say is WOW what a great shave!  I only needed 2 passes and just a touch up on my neck cowlick and it was a solid BBS result.  I had it set on 5 for the 1st pass and then down to 4 for the 2nd and touch up. So have you compared the REX to the Gibbs?  If so how does it compare shave wise with a Gibbs and how is it different from the Gibbs because what I experienced with the Gibbs was one of the nicest shaves that compares to some of the very best razors in my den and I have a good sized collection of modern and vintage razors including some Arsitocrats. Red Rings, Fatboy, Toggles, Streamline, NEW Deluxe Big Boy. Timeless. Charcoal, ATT and Blackland to name a few so it was in some pretty good company. So would I be as surprised with a shave by the REX as I was with the Gibbs?

The GIBBS is certainly the major inspiration here. Later on, Personna made a razor called the Precision Micrometric that was an updated version of it - took standard DE blades. That was another inspiration because of the modified cap and retained TTO knob. 

The Gibbs and Personna have nearly the same head Geometry, But the personna is slightly more narrow of a head giving slightly more of an aggressive shave (we are talking very small amounts but they do make a difference). We used the measurements of the Personna. 

So if you like the Gibbs you should love the Ambassador. The weight being significantly higher makes for a more easy / weight doing the work kinda shave. 

Really not trying to "shill" or anything but I have almost been exclusively using mine at home for months. Again, I got into this hobby 12 years ago looking for a perfect irritation free shave. And for me it's all that. 

Thanks, 

Matt

0 220
 10-24-2017, 06:48 AM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 05:27 AM)Razor Emporium Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 05:05 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote: Matt. I just recently acquired a mint vintage Gibbs Adjustable which you mentioned in your video was an inspiration when designing the head of the Rex and it shows. I had my first shave with the Gibbs and to be honest I'm still in a little disbelief because all I can say is WOW what a great shave!  I only needed 2 passes and just a touch up on my neck cowlick and it was a solid BBS result.  I had it set on 5 for the 1st pass and then down to 4 for the 2nd and touch up. So have you compared the REX to the Gibbs?  If so how does it compare shave wise with a Gibbs and how is it different from the Gibbs because what I experienced with the Gibbs was one of the nicest shaves that compares to some of the very best razors in my den and I have a good sized collection of modern and vintage razors including some Arsitocrats. Red Rings, Fatboy, Toggles, Streamline, NEW Deluxe Big Boy. Timeless. Charcoal, ATT and Blackland to name a few so it was in some pretty good company. So would I be as surprised with a shave by the REX as I was with the Gibbs?

The GIBBS is certainly the major inspiration here. Later on, Personna made a razor called the Precision Micrometric that was an updated version of it - took standard DE blades. That was another inspiration because of the modified cap and retained TTO knob. 

The Gibbs and Personna have nearly the same head Geometry, But the personna is slightly more narrow of a head giving slightly more of an aggressive shave (we are talking very small amounts but they do make a difference). We used the measurements of the Personna. 

So if you like the Gibbs you should love the Ambassador. The weight being significantly higher makes for a more easy / weight doing the work kinda shave. 

Really not trying to "shill" or anything but I have almost been exclusively using mine at home for months. Again, I got into this hobby 12 years ago looking for a perfect irritation free shave. And for me it's all that. 

Thanks, 

Matt

Thanks Matt for the quick response and explanation of how the Rex came to be. Sounds like you have a winner and I'll have to give it a try.

0 134
 10-24-2017, 09:01 AM
User Info
In addition to weight the Rex I presume is better balanced than the Gibbs adjustable which is very head heavy. If you like the Gibbs 15/17 you'd like the 16 which is almost as hefty but much better balanced. There were modifications to the head of the 14/16 after its introduction, perhaps the Personna head absorbed the later mods into its head design.
[Image: 9a07febb396cc941065db36fab972b66.jpg]

1 222
 10-24-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 09:01 AM)jmudrick Wrote: In addition to weight the Rex I presume is better balanced than the Gibbs adjustable which is very head heavy. If you like the Gibbs 15/17 you'd like the 16 which is almost as hefty but much better balanced.
[Image: 9a07febb396cc941065db36fab972b66.jpg]

Just saw one of those on the French eBay and was wondering how it shaves. Thanks for the info!  Thumbsup

0 134
 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
I just picked this up from a TSN member (thanks!).  I haven't used it but it is an impressive razor.  Build and finish quality are great, nice weight and balance.

[Image: JbUXIJM.jpg]

19 1,788
 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 02:01 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: I just picked this up from a TSN member (thanks!).  I haven't used it but it is an impressive razor.  Build and finish quality are great, nice weight and balance.

[Image: JbUXIJM.jpg]

The shave is second to none. It just doesn't get any better.

121 13,208
 11-28-2017, 04:00 PM
User Info
what blade are you using in your Rex.  GSBs and Polsilvers are my blade of choice...

19 1,788
 11-28-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
Tom, give us your comments on the adjustment knob.  From what I understand, it does not click into place, and rotates freely.  Are you finding that it inadvertently gets moved during the shave?

50 6,421
 11-28-2017, 04:34 PM
User Info
Will do Ricardo.

19 1,788
 11-28-2017, 04:59 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 04:00 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: what blade are you using in your Rex.  GSBs and Polsilvers are my blade of choice...

Personna(Israel) 
Astra Superior . I also like the Voskhod because of their teflon coating.

121 13,208
 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
The adjustment knob does not click into place and can move slightly if inadvertently touched however, I just move it back. No big deal.

121 13,208
 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
Alright.  Thanks.  I'll give one of those a try!

19 1,788
 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
It's been over a month and still waiting for mine.

17 447
 12-02-2017, 05:52 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 05:04 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Alright.  Thanks.  I'll give one of those a try!

I would love to know what you think of the razor. Certainly one of my favorite DE razors. I have used the Crystal blades and the Nacet. I prefer the Nacet Gillette blade personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 81
 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
My Rex is on deck for this week's shaves.  Will add my thoughts when I get through a couple.

19 1,788
 12-04-2017, 04:38 PM
User Info
One shave in and I really like this razor.  I set it to 4.5 for my first pass and then dialed it back to 3 for the ATG pass.  Very smooth shaver with a Polsilver SI.  Easy BBS with 2 passes and touch up.  Balance is very nice, knurling is great and good looking to boot.  While the adjustment knob spins freely without any "clicks", it didn't move during the shave, even when I experimented to see if I could get it to "accidentally" move.  Tomorrow I'll start out at 5 or 6 for the first pass.

[Image: x4Y4Q0s.jpg]

19 1,788
 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM
User Info
Second shave with the Rex.  Started out at 6 for WTG and ATG, dialed back to 3 for touchups.  Very nice!  The fit and finish on this is very nice.  No issues with the adjustment knob slipping during the shave.  Feels solid.  Looking forward to seeing more of these in the wild and more conversation about them.  

[Image: 1QGMojx.jpg]

19 1,788
 12-06-2017, 03:54 AM
User Info
I like my Rex so much that I ordered a second during their Black Friday sale!  I do a lot of traveling and wanted a backup in case the first gets lost or damaged.

0 46