09-29-2017, 06:59 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I’m curious to see in the future if once the initial pre-orders are filled and the initial hype dies down if the razors won’t be finished more thoutoughly. I can’t help but wonder if they tried to speed up the process due to falling behind on their initial release date?

8 451
 10-01-2017, 02:24 AM
User Info
Received an email from Matt @ Razoremporium regarding complaints about surface scratches. Matt has offered to fix the problem no charge to his customers who bought the razor including two way free shipping. Since my razor does have some light scratches I will be sending my razor back for repair. I thought this is truly fantastic customer service.

121 13,122
 10-01-2017, 07:13 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I received mine yesterday and I took it out for the maiden voyage last night.  I set it at 3 and did my normal three passes.  It was definitely a great shave.  Good audible feedback, middle of the road blade feel (not too much, not too little).  Very smooth to say the least.  My trouble area is my neck where I have to do East/West passes to get bbs. If I'm not careful I can get a little bit of razor burn.  Not so with the Rex.  I'm happy with the purchase, but can definitely see they left room for improvement.

Initial thoughts:

Unpackaging/Presentation-I thought the box looked very professional.  I gave it a little wiggle as I pulled and it came right apart.  Once I took the razor out I slid the box back together and put it in a drawer with my other boxes where it will remain until I die or if I would decide to sell it.  Grade A-  

Quality-This is where the Rex fell a little short of my expectations.  When I purchased it I considered two things.  1) How much people like the Gibbs and the Rex was being based off of that. 2) How nice and shiny the Rex was in the pic on RE's webpage.  When I took it out of the box and did a once over my initial thoughts were this is not up to par with the Blackbird or ATT when it comes to finish.  I thought it was going to be highly polished based on their demo pic.  What I got looked like it was something between polished and brushed.  Even with the email I got this morning from Matt I'm a little confused with his pics showing what "Polished" and "Brushed" looked like, and that they were going with a brushed finish on their next batch.  None of my other polished razors show machined marks anywhere near what the Rex shows.  It's not horrible, but it's not great either.  I've attached a pic below.  On the plus side the knurling is absolutely fantastic.  It looks great and feels wonderful in my hand during use.  I think for me the real downgrade of the razor comes with the lather release slots.  It's clear their machinist had a hard time cutting these, or didn't use the right tool.  They're uneven, you can tell the tool was slipping or not cutting right.  Hopefully this is something that will be corrected on the next batch.  Grade C

Shave Quality-This is where the razors shines.  I'll reiterate my sentiments from above.  I found the Rex to a smooth operator.  It's a razor you can pick up and go to town with.  There's no fumbling around trying to find the right angle.  It's very intuitive.  The blade feel is medium as well as the audible feedback.  I'm very impressed with the shave quality which is the most important factor in purchasing a razor.  Grade A+

Final thoughts:  When I look at my purchase of the Rex as a whole I would say I'm pleased.  Disappointed a little bit with what could have been, which actually gets overshadowed by the fact that it shaves so damn well.  I think RE made a wonderful razor and any complaints (mine included) are easily correctable.  Let's not forget this is the first razor they have produced which is no easy feat.  

[Image: 8H8VEVv.jpg]

44 618
 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
I got the email from RE about the tumbled finish as well and I am a little conflicted.  Here is another comparison picture from that email.  Original finish on the left, new on the right. 

[Image: ce23cc15-b982-47a2-a2d8-baefe7d502eb.jpg]

13 147
 10-02-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
I think that tumbled finish looks better vs the  original polished finish that shows the machine mark alike ridges

0 197
 10-03-2017, 09:27 AM
User Info
I commend them for trying but execution was poor at best... It doesn't say much for the machine shop they used either!! I understand its an America made razor and RE's 1st stab at producing a razor but for them to ask a premium price for what they are offering would be embarrassing and unacceptable to me when I was a business owner.

3 79
 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I have no clue how difficult it is to polish metal or to find a vendor who does, but if a business shows one thing at pre-order (flawless finishing), then that's what they'd better deliver to those customers who ordered. The flaws should have been caught at inspection and sent back to the shop until it was performed correctly.

59 2,818
 10-03-2017, 02:40 PM
User Info
(10-03-2017, 09:27 AM)MikeL Wrote: I commend them for trying but execution was poor at best... It doesn't say much for the machine shop they used either!! I understand its an America made razor and RE's 1st stab at producing a razor but for them to ask a premium price for what they are offering would be embarrassing and unacceptable to me when I was a business owner.

Pretty harsh assessment. One I agree with unfortunately. The concept and design look great but execution fell a bit short with this run.

9 133
 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM
User Info
I’m still stuck on my B&R Adjustable. I’m disappointed that this one is not up to par but Rocnel has a new one coming out that seems to be an upgrade on the original design they did as a team. I own both the silver one and the black one and love the performance and build quality of both. I looked at this one but glad I did not preorder now. This is a very difficult design to do with quality metals but the guys in Turkey have done theirs right. Maybe this will go back to the drawing board and be done right on the next run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 876
 10-03-2017, 04:29 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Well I bought the razor to shave with not display in a museum....It shaves great...feels great and looks great......totally happy and glad i,m not so damn fussy about tool marks.....in fact if i find any i,ll like them as well.

6 2,027
 10-03-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
I agree with Harvey. I'm not bothered by the minor cosmetic imperfections.

7 546
 10-04-2017, 04:12 AM
User Info
(10-03-2017, 04:29 PM)Harvey Wrote: Well I bought the razor to shave with not display in a museum....It shaves great...feels great and looks great......totally happy and glad i,m not so damn fussy about tool marks.....in fact if i find any i,ll like them as well.

(10-03-2017, 06:38 PM)Shave Monkey Wrote: I agree with Harvey. I'm not bothered by the minor cosmetic imperfections.

+1.  I've been using this razor for a week now and it shaves great!  The very light machine marks on the cap don't bother me at all!

0 40
 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
Sent mine back and they should get it in a few days. They promised a fast furn a round  as all they have to do is put it in their tumbler not send it out.

121 13,122
 10-11-2017, 11:46 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I am kinda surprised I haven't really seen any of them in use in SOTD pictures. I think I have only seen one?

8 451
 10-11-2017, 12:47 PM
User Info
I LOVE this razor!  It's absolutely fantastic and honestly don't see one thing wrong with it cosmetically.  Besides, I'm more interested in the performance.  I have shaved with it twice so far and I couldn't be more pleased.  I have used levels 2-5 (on my face and dome) and it really is one of my favorite razors- moved right to the top of the den.  The build quality on this razor is incredible and see why they offer a lifetime warranty...  

Thank you Matt for making a great razor!

0 47
 10-11-2017, 06:03 PM
User Info
Got mine back Yesterday. Great job of polishing the head. I am still a baby with wet shaving but I find it to be a very smooth shave at levels 2 - 5. I used a Med Prep yesterday and a PolSilver today with excellent results. IMHO this is a great razor and I’m glad I made the plunge. I still need a lot of work on my technique but it feels really good so far.

0 9
 10-16-2017, 02:56 AM
User Info
Things went pretty quiet on this razor lately. It would seem they have changed all their inventory to the brushed finish but have they found a fix for the sloppy machining of the safety bars? Anyone have any close up pics of the new changes?

3 79
 10-16-2017, 03:41 AM
User Info
I've seen the pics of the sloppy machining, and I'm wondering if that wasn't the exception that slipped through quality control rather than the rule.  Mine (#62) has none of those flaws, and even the light machine marks on the cap don't detract from the looks of this razor.  Mine is a great shaver, and I'm keeping it as received.

0 40
 10-16-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
(10-16-2017, 03:41 AM)Mogaert Wrote: I've seen the pics of the sloppy machining, and I'm wondering if that wasn't the exception that slipped through quality control rather than the rule.  Mine (#62) has none of those flaws, and even the light machine marks on the cap don't detract from the looks of this razor.  Mine is a great shaver, and I'm keeping it as received.

When did you Order your razor? Just curious. I ordered mine in May and I’m #202

0 47
 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
(10-16-2017, 04:50 AM)Flyingbald Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:41 AM)Mogaert Wrote: I've seen the pics of the sloppy machining, and I'm wondering if that wasn't the exception that slipped through quality control rather than the rule.  Mine (#62) has none of those flaws, and even the light machine marks on the cap don't detract from the looks of this razor.  Mine is a great shaver, and I'm keeping it as received.

When did you Order your razor?  Just curious. I ordered mine in May and I’m #202

March maybe?  I ordered it before my birthday in April.

0 40