07-02-2017, 07:00 AM
User Info
The most expensive shaving cream I have used is TOBS. I usually lather Proraso. On the low-end, I have a Williams soap that I rarely touch. Are the high-end soaps really worth it? If I spend upwards of $50 for, say, Mitchell's Wool Fat, would I be likely notice a big improvement over Proraso?

0 88
 07-02-2017, 07:42 AM
User Info
I think you would probably notice a difference (how big, I dont know) between Proraso and one of the expensive brands.  I do not think you would notice AS BIG a difference between CRSW, B&M, heck even Stirling (there are more, these are just 3 examples) and the expensive brands.  At least not enough to justify the extra coin.

Having said that, you could also say the same thing about a car.  It's getting you to the same place, the only difference is the amount of enjoyment you get from going from Point A to Point B.  If you have the disposable income, go for it.  If not, I think there are several "step ups" from Proraso that would give you a better, more enjoyable shave.  My 2 cents.

13 469
 07-02-2017, 08:02 AM
User Info
Look into Tabac. Lasts forever and performs as well as the $50+ soaps

10 147
 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM
User Info
I would recommend that you try shavedash.com - you can get sample sizes of many products like MdC, Pannacrema Nuavia, SV, Mike's, Valobra, etc.

26 992
 07-02-2017, 08:32 AM
User Info
I started wetshaving with Proraso so I feel I can comment.

The short answer in my experience, is yes, some of the high-end ($50+) products are worth it.  I find Santa Maria Novella v3 and ABC to be among the best shaving products available, and I would be happy using either of them as the only product I own.  

However, you can get performance that is very close for a product in the 15-20 dollar range.  For me personally, this would mean Barrister and Mann, CRSW, L&L Grooming, or Mystic Water.  However there are many more that others find to be among the best.

Where more expensive products are better than Proraso for me is protection and post-shave feel.  If you do one pass WTG shaves and use a balm or moisturizer, you might never need anything other than Proraso.  If you do 3-pass shaves, that's when a pricier product can make a difference.  

For the record I love Proraso Red and Green and still use them even though they are not the absolute best in my stable.

11 967
 07-02-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 07:42 AM)22bulldog Wrote: I think you would probably notice a difference (how big, I dont know) between Proraso and one of the expensive brands.  I do not think you would notice AS BIG a difference between CRSW, B&M, heck even Stirling (there are more, these are just 3 examples) and the expensive brands.  At least not enough to justify the extra coin.

Having said that, you could also say the same thing about a car.  It's getting you to the same place, the only difference is the amount of enjoyment you get from going from Point A to Point B.  If you have the disposable income, go for it.  If not, I think there are several "step ups" from Proraso that would give you a better, more enjoyable shave.  My 2 cents.

exactly.  you will never know if you don't try at least one nice soap or cream. thats what bst is for

73 1,263
 07-02-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
Once i tried xpec i never went back (when you factor in price per ounce... Xpec isnt that bad... Especially when on sale... Check bullgoose).  Now mdc, abc, adp, and xpec is basically my rotation

0 96
 07-02-2017, 10:52 AM
User Info
The majority of my rotation is high end European. I find them to be well worth the money. That being said, TOBS Cedarwood is a top 5 cream for me....

158 1,017
 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
So my opinion is that don't always get what you pay for.
I have soaps that out perform much more expensive soaps.
Some of my favorite soaps are also some of the least expensive.
You just have to buy them and try them.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1 94
 07-02-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 07:00 AM)Ilnones Wrote: The most expensive shaving cream I have used is TOBS. I usually lather Proraso. On the low-end, I have a Williams soap that I rarely touch. Are the high-end soaps really worth it? If I spend upwards of $50 for, say, Mitchell's Wool Fat, would I be likely notice a big improvement over Proraso?
MWF is hardly a high-end soap. Available for $10-12. (Although, IMO, it performs equally, if not better than many "high-end" soaps.)

39 3,881
 07-02-2017, 01:05 PM
User Info
Value is a subjective concept.  With soaps, which is all I currently use, there is not always a cost/quality relationship.  An inexpensive soap may work great for one guy, and an expensive soap may not work well for another guy.  I've tried most soaps out there, and my current rotation consists entirely of soaps by several artisans.  That doesn't mean that more expensive soaps are not worth it.  It just means that I've found what I like and other soaps, regardless of whether they are less or more expensive, don't add to my shaving experience.  My suggestion is to find whatever soaps works well for you and you're happy with.  It's those soaps which will be worth it to you.

48 5,729
 07-02-2017, 02:07 PM
User Info
I think some of the more expensive soaps/creams are really that good.
Some of the cheaper soaps/creams are in fact almost as good as the really great expensive ones.

Unfortunately after 6 years on the forums, I have reached the conclusion, that only one person can really know which of the the expensive ones are worth and which ones are not and which of the cheaper ones are as good performers as the best expensive ones - you yourself.

I sometimes find TOBS creams good, sometimes I feel they lack a little bit. They are NEVER great performers for me, but not bad performers either.

You just have to test them to know for sure......

24 5,850
 07-02-2017, 02:22 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 02:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: ...that only one person can really know which of the the expensive ones are worth and which ones are not and which of the cheaper ones are as good performers as the best expensive ones - you yourself.

Signs011 

It is not for nothing that the ever returning mantra of wetshaving is Your Mileage May Wary.

3 4,374
 07-02-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 12:38 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 07:00 AM)Ilnones Wrote: The most expensive shaving cream I have used is TOBS. I usually lather Proraso. On the low-end, I have a Williams soap that I rarely touch. Are the high-end soaps really worth it? If I spend upwards of $50 for, say, Mitchell's Wool Fat, would I be likely notice a big improvement over Proraso?
MWF is hardly a high-end soap. Available for $10-12. (Although, IMO, it performs equally, if not better than many "high-end" soaps.)

I have to question that - MWF is the worst performing soap I have ever used among with Lea Classic  Wink

24 5,850
 07-02-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info

Some Gents adore MWF, to me it's the worst performing soap I have ever used among the 500+ products I have tested in the last 6-7 years time.

YMMV, so your mileage may vary also applies here.

24 5,850
 07-02-2017, 03:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
"Worth it"is a relative term. If you are using the yardstick of it costs twice as much is it twice as good, as your standard then many are not, but if you're willing to pay more for something that is better in some form then most are. Higher end products in whatever industry are usually aimed at a market that for whom the price difference is not that significant and who are just willing to pay more for the difference whether it's quantifiable or subjective as in a proprietary fragrance.  In the end if the difference wont break you then yes, it's worth it.

7 2,281
 07-02-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 08:32 AM)surfshaver Wrote: ...you can get performance that is very close for a product in the 15-20 dollar range.  For me personally, this would mean Barrister and Mann, CRSW, L&L Grooming, or Mystic Water.  However there are many more that others find to be among the best.

For the record I love Proraso Red and Green and still use them even though they are not the absolute best in my stable.
Let me add Stirling and Wet Shaving Products (WSP). I also started with Proraso green and I still break it out once in a while, at least once a month in the late spring through summer. I agree with surfshaver that it is good, but not the best. Only one can actually be called the best.

2 151
 07-02-2017, 03:57 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-02-2017, 03:35 PM)Mouser Wrote: "Worth it"is a relative term. If you are using the yardstick of it costs twice as much is it twice as good, as your standard then many are not, but if you're willing to pay more for something that is better in some form then most are. Higher end products in whatever industry are usually aimed at a market that for whom the price difference is not that significant and who are just willing to pay more for the difference whether it's quantifiable or subjective as in a proprietary fragrance.  In the end if the difference wont break you then yes, it's worth it.

There is also a phenomenon that goes by the phrase cognitive dissonance.
WARNING:  I m not a psychologist, and I do not play one on TV.
As I understand the term, it means that if you pay a lot for something, then you are inclined to rationalize that your decision was correct to pay that much for it.

0 1,054
 07-02-2017, 06:13 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 02:25 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Some Gents adore MWF, to me it's the worst performing soap I have ever used among the 500+ products I have tested in the last 6-7 years time.

YMMV, so your mileage may vary also applies here.
Indeed Claus.

39 3,881
 07-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Buy the AoS tallow while you can. It is worth it.

57 2,560