07-02-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
I think Mel S Meles has hit the nail on the head. We do tend to rationalize spending more by convincing ourselves that what we have paid more for really is better. I'm pretty sure single malt enthusiasts do that (but then I'm a bourbon drinker). At some point I will spring for a really expensive soap and hide the expenditure from my wife.

0 88
 07-02-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
What I have learned in my 4+ years wet shaving is the simple answer is yes.  Going from Proraso to Nuavia will be an absolute revelation, but is Nuavia's $60 ish pricetag justifiable over a top artisan soap in the $18-$20 range?  No.  Artisan's I'm talking about would include Wholly Kaw, B & M, CRSW, Mike's Natural, etc.  More often than not the 'high end' you pay for is the scent.  Nuavia Blue and Rossa are two of the most amazing scented soaps I own.  IMO, the 1 soap that outperforms it's price point by a wide margin is Stirling no question and you get more of it for that $13 pricetag, 5.8 oz.

Creams on the other hand I don't have many of, but in my experience you do get what you pay for.  For me TOBS is completely unusable but I know I am not in the majority.  I will happily pay a premium for Penhaligon's creams, not the soaps, because they perform as good as my best soaps.  Same goes for Musgo, for what you get it's on the expensive side but it's one of the few creams that contains Lanolin and is a great performer.

18 62
 07-03-2017, 04:24 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(07-02-2017, 06:30 PM)Ilnones Wrote: I think Mel S Meles has hit the nail on the head. We do tend to rationalize spending more by convincing ourselves that what we have paid more for really is better.

There is some truth to that. But YMMV still... because on the other hand, there are also people who convince themselves that nothing is better than the cheaper stuff (without trying the more expensive stuff).

Like wine. Some people are happy with anything that is red and tastes like alcohol, while others can nitpick at every subtle difference between bottles of the same exact wine. Who is right? The eye of the beholder.

62 2,916
 07-03-2017, 09:31 AM
User Info
(07-03-2017, 04:24 AM)Nero Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 06:30 PM)Ilnones Wrote: I think Mel S Meles has hit the nail on the head. We do tend to rationalize spending more by convincing ourselves that what we have paid more for really is better.

There is some truth to that. But YMMV still... because on the other hand, there are also people who convince themselves that nothing is better than the cheaper stuff (without trying the more expensive stuff).

Like wine. Some people are happy with anything that is red and tastes like alcohol, while others can nitpick at every subtle difference between bottles of the same exact wine. Who is right? The eye of the beholder.

I've seen it both ways. I know guys who make four times what I do in a year and they think I am nuts for spending a $100 on a razor. They only use antiques that they got in thrift stores or flea markets for less than $20. Don't even suggest that they borrow a new razor for a free trial.

2 249
 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I believe that expensive creams don't worth it. I started wetshaving 4+ years ago and Speick was my first cream. Since then, I've tried a great number of products, but none of the creams was better than this one. In my opinion, this cream is better than the expensive English creams by a wide margin. It's even better than some highly- praised soaps. Proraso products are fine, but admittedly not excellent. I can find them here for about 3 euros each, a very affordable price. For that money, they're great. If you spend a couple more euros, you can buy the Speick but it's half the quantity of the Proraso... I've finished two Speick tubes and I'd be happy to buy another if I didn't have all these products waiting for their turn to come.
Some soaps may worth it. When I first tried the Nuavia line, on September 2015, I was extremely satisfied, I had very high expectations from them. A few months after that, I had the chance to try some of Larry's creations( CRSW), I Coloniali, Savon de Volcans etc. I now think they're all great, still use them with great results. I appreciate all of them, but I wouldn't buy again the Nuavias at their current price, having so many other great products in my collection. So, it depends. You can be sure about a product only if you try it a few times. Otherwise, you simply can't know.

49 2,007
 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM
User Info
Yes, some soaps and creams are worth the extra cost. The thing is that cost performance do not correlate. 
Proraso is a good performer, no matter what you compare it to. I could bring up an example or two of high end soaps that are not good at all IMO. 
Any how. Let me know if you would like to try some middle of the road soaps. I can send you some.

8 1,184
 07-03-2017, 10:29 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(07-03-2017, 04:24 AM)Nero Wrote:

This^

169 1,420
 07-03-2017, 01:26 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 07:00 AM)Ilnones Wrote: The most expensive shaving cream I have used is TOBS. I usually lather Proraso. On the low-end, I have a Williams soap that I rarely touch. Are the high-end soaps really worth it? If I spend upwards of $50 for, say, Mitchell's Wool Fat, would I be likely notice a big improvement over Proraso?

In short, I don't believe price is a sole indicator of performance. Your low end of Williams isn't a good example, but you could get comparable-to-Proraso shaves with Palmolive cream and be spending even less!

I haven't used the "high end" creams like Xpec or Castle Forbes, but I have used Truefitt and Hill and AOS -- they aren't necessarily a better shave than TOBS but the scents are great.  Similarly, my wife uses L'Occitane bath gels and soaps, and they aren't better than anything the shave artisans make except the scents are more mature.

With shave soaps, spending $15 or $20 isn't a big deal because it is my experience that they last longer than creams (price per shave goes down on soaps). I get great shaves with a $1 Palmolive stick, but enjoy the more expensive B&M, DR Harris, etc. A great performer that doesn't break the bank is Haslinger.

6 776
 07-03-2017, 02:21 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-03-2017, 01:26 PM)Gig103 Wrote: A great performer that doesn't break the bank is Haslinger.

Signs011

Another great one in the same price range is Mystic Water. 

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN deleted.  The link was not Mystic Water, which is a TSN Artisan.

(Cue Sesame Street song:  “One of These Things Is Not Like The Others.”)

1 1,102
 07-03-2017, 09:22 PM
User Info
(07-03-2017, 02:21 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 01:26 PM)Gig103 Wrote: A great performer that doesn't break the bank is Haslinger.

Signs011

Another great one in the same price range is Mystic Water. 

MW has one of the, if not the single best, post-shaves I know. But in hard water, even the new formula doesn't lather worth a damn for me (and PHX has very hard water). I got a nice lather with distilled water but it isn't worth the hassle for me, even though that lanolin yields two enthusiastic thumbs up.

6 776
 07-04-2017, 04:28 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(07-02-2017, 03:57 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 03:35 PM)Mouser Wrote: "Worth it"is a relative term. If you are using the yardstick of it costs twice as much is it twice as good, as your standard then many are not, but if you're willing to pay more for something that is better in some form then most are. Higher end products in whatever industry are usually aimed at a market that for whom the price difference is not that significant and who are just willing to pay more for the difference whether it's quantifiable or subjective as in a proprietary fragrance.  In the end if the difference wont break you then yes, it's worth it.

There is also a phenomenon that goes by the phrase cognitive dissonance.
WARNING:  I m not a psychologist, and I do not play one on TV.
As I understand the term, it means that if you pay a lot for something, then you are inclined to rationalize that your decision was correct to pay that much for it.

Could be true for many but that's not what I'm so inadequately trying to point out. There are some fortunate people for whom the difference in price of a stick of Palmolive and a puck of C&S is insignificant. If there is something about the higher priced product they like, and for some it could just be the fact of the exclusivity of the cost, then its worth it to them. "Worth it" is a very subjective concept.

7 2,352
 07-04-2017, 05:48 AM
User Info
"Worth" is a very personal thing; as been suggested by most posts here. My current personal situation is such that I must carefully weigh what I purchase. Shaving wise there are some things that I will cut other corners and do some saving to be able to "afford" a specific brand/product. AS balms is one....I've tried both and will pay $34 for L'Occitane CADE over $15 Pre de Provence #63 even though the performance is only slightly better with the CADE; I'm hooked on the scent. I've been given a sample of the CADE Rich Cream as well and it will eventually replace my T&H Limes as my "luxury-special shave" lather. I'm still working on my original traditional wet shaving purchase of T&H Limes and TOOBS St. James, but will be looking for a less expensive cream as my daily driver.
Any suggestions?

0 195
 07-04-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
"One man gathers what another man spills" ymmv, caveat emptor, eye of the beholder, etc...I am thinking not only of shaving soaps but old girlfriends! Strike a chord? I thought so. Anyway, we are talking soaps which are inanimate objects. Being a follower of statistics I'd safely say the bell curve (utility curve?) works for me for the soap universe too. I use XPEC, SMN, ABC and love them. I also use and love less expensive soaps. I crave superior performance and hopefully price will not be a primary factor. And while I am on the topic I am thinking about unscented soaps which I also own and love. I can't imagine everyone agreeing on scent but I can imagine a good consensus on performance regardless of scent.

36 901
 07-04-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
This morning I lathered up Proraso White with a silvertip badger, and it's hard to imagine a soap performing any better.

0 88
 07-04-2017, 06:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(07-04-2017, 06:51 AM)Ilnones Wrote: This morning I lathered up Proraso White with a silvertip badger, and it's hard to imagine a soap performing any better.

I agree. It can get a little better but MOST ARE NOT AS GOOD AS.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ht=Proraso

62 2,916
 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
In general yes, more expensive soaps (things) are better, but the real question is not 'are they better?', but are the differences in performance worth the difference in price - to you. There's really no good answer to that except, try samples and see!

Having said that, most of us agree that there are 'sweet spots' that are a good balance of cost and performance. 200ml of Castle Forbes at $29 US from shaving.ie is excellent and you can shave with 1/2g, or under 10 cents a shave after delivery. If you can find the AoS tallow like was (and maybe still is) sold 3 pucks for $33, it would be difficult to find a better soap at a better price though the scents seem faint now. I shaved with AoS tallow lemon yesterday.

Cheers, Steve

7 535
 07-04-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
The only 'High End' or 'Expensive' soaps I have are MDC, Nuavia and Santa Maria Novella. In my opinion Nuavia and SNM were definitely worth it and MDC not so much.

4 925
 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info
skin type is so important. my skin dries easily so MDC not in my den anymore. Having said this, a guy at work absolutely loves MDC and a $13 US made soap too, go figure.

36 901
 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm into this hobby to have fun, and the concept of "worth it" doesn't ever enter in. I enjoy trying a variety of products, and those that I enjoy most find their way to my favorites drawer, and those that I don't are gone. Which products make it into that drawer have little to do with cost, and everything to do with personal enjoyment.

38 5,155
 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM
User Info
I know that MdC has different scents, but I tried the regular scented MdC and was totally unimpressed.  I thought the smell was terrible and the performance was "just fine".  As good as many others but absolutely no better than many of my favorite moderately priced soaps and creams.  In my humble opinion, spending anywhere near that amount of money for a soap or cream is ridiculous.  Do others also think it stinks, literally?? JMO

13 197