07-02-2017, 06:48 PM
User Info
I am thinking about purchasing my first slant razor. Any suggestions? I am considering the Fine Accoutrements Superlite Slant Razor. Thanks, Rich

0 4
 07-02-2017, 07:34 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-02-2017, 06:48 PM)Biggypops Wrote: I am thinking about purchasing my first slant razor. Any suggestions? I am considering the Fine Accoutrements Superlite Slant Razor.

The request is incomplete.  If you want informed replies, answer this question:
“I am thinking about purchasing my first slant razor because . . .” ?
You will get different answers in relation to the different ways that that inquiry may be completed.

0 1,028
 07-03-2017, 04:05 AM
User Info
AFAIC you can't beat the tried and true Merkur 137 in bang for the buck. There are cheaper slant (twisted head) razors out there, but in my considerable experience with new and vintage slants the only one to surpass the 137 is the Razorock Wunderbar which is much more expensive. YMMV.

6 186
 07-03-2017, 06:17 AM
User Info
Do you like more aggressive shaves or milder shaves? The mildest slant i've used has been the iKon X3. I didn't like the Fine slant; it was too light and I felt I had to press harder than I had to to make it functional; but it tore my face up. I really like The Merkur 37c, but I can't use it everyday. The Maggards slant is really nice and smooth, but you can definitely feel the blade on your face. The ATT slants are nice but for me, work just as well as the Merkur 37c, but I was able to use them daily but I personally prefer a lighter razor - maybe the AL versions (if they exist) might work.

I haven't used the newer RazoRock ones so I can't comment on those - I have used the RRSS and I liked the iKon X3 much better.

22 652
 07-03-2017, 08:23 AM
User Info
I really like the att s2 for a few days growth and the s1 is very nice as well but a touch too mild for anything past daily shaving. Very efficient razors without a very aggressive twist like the ikon slant(not talking about the x3 or any of the shavecraft products)

25 752
 07-03-2017, 08:23 AM
User Info
I'm not that convinced by the Fine slant. If it's ultralight you're after, a better choice (imho ofcourse, ymmv etc) would be the PAA bakelite slant.
Other options:
Merkur 37c is fabulous. Proven alltime classic. Same for the Merkur 39c, if you're into heavy. Italian Barber cloned the head, with that one you can put your own grip on it.
Maggard slant. A fun razor that needs a bit of care because it can be aggressive.
The iKon X3. A bit too muted for my tastes, but a very effective razor
Different beast would be the iKon 102 which is a slant of the non-torqued variety. Effective and fun, although I like my diagonals (what I call my non-torqued slants) better with less weight.
More expensive end of the available spectrum:
Wunderbar, great slant. Period.
ATT S1. Marvellous daily driver, needs two or three passes but the result is buttery soft.
ATT S2. OC variant of the S1, bit more bite to it, not for my daily use but boy does it deliver.

Personally, I'd say go for the 37c, and if you like the slant experience, broaden out from there.

2 98
 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM
User Info
Thanks for ALL the great comments regarding the ATT S1 And S2 Slant razor!

BTW: Mine is still available on the BST Angel

41 364
 07-04-2017, 01:45 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 06:48 PM)Biggypops Wrote: I am thinking about purchasing my first slant razor. Any suggestions? I am considering the Fine Accoutrements Superlite Slant Razor. Thanks, Rich

Wave1 Hello Rich, my rotation includes merkur 37C, ikon 102, ikon slant, ikon x3, alpha ecliptic razor, ATT S1 and S2. I like all my slants that's for sure which provide me with a different shaving experience. If I were to make a choice I would surely go with a merkur 37C and pair with an astra sp razor blade. The razor is affordable and will provide you with one of the best shaves when your technique and other shaving supplies are in order. I have certainly achieved BBS with the combination that I just mentioned to you. You take care of yourself Rich. Badger
[Image: portada-homealone.jpg]

1 3
 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM
User Info
I would agree with the Merkur 37C suggestion.

38 3,796
 07-04-2017, 02:39 PM
User Info
My thanks to you gentlemen for your kind advise. I am going to give your suggestions much thought. Sincerely, Rich

0 4
 07-05-2017, 07:05 AM
User Info
I started with a Merkur 37c as my adventure into slants began, it's an excellent choice to start and won't break the bank.  I eventually moved on to a ATT S2 as my daily driver

0 46