07-03-2017, 11:04 AM
User Info
Just steamed a FS knot out of a handle, needed a little attention as it was set cockeyed and could be a bit shorter.  Ended up tearing the bottom half of the hair-glue-bump-thing off.  

Kind of surprised the middle hair is up in the bump and the butts aren't all trimmed to the base of the knot.  

So is the glue bump to give it shape, hair being more or less all cut the same length?  Scratching my head on this.

[Image: ybQtwqW.jpg]

1 108
 07-03-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
(07-03-2017, 11:04 AM)old school Wrote: Just steamed a FS knot out of a handle, needed a little attention as it was set cockeyed and could be a bit shorter.  Ended up tearing the bottom half of the hair-glue-bump-thing off.  

Kind of surprised the middle hair is up in the bump and the butts aren't all trimmed to the base of the knot.  

So is the glue bump to give it shape, hair being more or less all cut the same length?  Scratching my head on this.

[Image: ybQtwqW.jpg]

Yes. See this post.

The parabolic shape of the bump dictates the shape of the knot's dome (or canopy), subject to hole (or socket) diameter and depth of set. A fan-shaped knot with the same construction would have a less pronounced bump.

3 1,036
 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
There's videos online. 

I don't know how to describe it concisely. There's a mold I think called a cannon. To arrange the hairs into a bulb or fan shape. I don't know how FS makes theirs but Simpsons and DaVinci each had a video clip I've seen online before showing some of their process.

10 1,460
 07-03-2017, 11:42 AM
User Info
I found one I was thinking of.

10 1,460
 07-03-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
(07-03-2017, 11:37 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Yes. See this post.

The conical shape of the bump dictates the shape of the knot's dome (or canopy), subject to hole (or socket) diameter and depth of set. A fan-shaped knot with the same construction would have a less pronounced bump.

Thank you for the thorough clarification, I've subscribed to Brushology: on glue and bumps for future reference and the links are informative as well.  This thread, linked from Brushology, Glue bump, an explanation had a picture of another brush with an air bubble under the knot.  Something I hadn't considered while remounting a knot.  

(07-03-2017, 11:42 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: I found one I was thinking of.

Thank you for this, as with reading Brushology it lead to other videos that were informative as well.  

This video demonstrates how knots are mounted in the handle and I think, at least for this particular brush, how the glue bump is created.  

For whatever reason I didn't think hair would be cut to length prior to making the knot but the knot sheared from full length hair after the knot was shaped and tied.  Clearly 180 degrees from reality.

Thank you again fellas for the education, it's appreciated!

1 108