07-04-2017, 05:55 PM
User Info
Congrats, Ken! Happy Independence Day as well.

7 278
 07-04-2017, 08:18 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
OK, how many of us used a Paladin brush today - bonus points for a PK-47 or flowers for the wife.

My shave today was all USA made products from the original 13 colonies.  I double checked and apparently Kansas was not one of the 13.  I tried.

Congrats on the anniversary(s).

4 260
 07-04-2017, 08:21 PM
User Info
I used my pk47 today!

13 1,079
 07-05-2017, 04:57 AM
User Info
Thanks to all for the congrats, well wishes, etc.

(07-04-2017, 10:44 AM)doc47 Wrote: How was the wedding by the way?

Wedding was great. They had it next to an old barn in the Willamette Valley about 20 miles north of Corvallis.

Pam, Hank, and I made the trip in a Toyota Tacoma pickup and took two-lane roads with narrow shoulders much of the way. Covered a little over 2,300 miles on the way out and a little over that on the way back. (Sorry we missed you Dave. We passed through Sweet Home on the way out, but were in a hurry to make Corvallis then. Took a different route -- up 101 to Astoria, then to Hood River and east along the Columbia. Fun to see some spots where I windsurfed 30 odd years ago. Maybe next time. We'll be back, I'm sure. And if both of our kids end up there -- which is a possibility -- we probably will too.)

(07-04-2017, 03:37 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Three celebrations in one day, congrats! 30 years and hope you have many more!

We'll have been together for 35 years in August. Not sure about the exact date. One night I just didn't go home, and then my sense of what was home changed. But I struggled over formally tying the knot. When we finally got married, we exchanged vows and said our I dos in Missouri (by no more than a stone's throw), although I'd only obtained a Kansas license. I took some comfort from that.

(07-04-2017, 08:18 PM)SCOV Wrote: My shave today was all USA made products from the original 13 colonies.  I double checked and apparently Kansas was not one of the 13.  I tried.

Maybe this will help. I'm a mongrel (Bohemian, Scots-Irish, Pennsylvania-Deutsch, Swedish, English, Cherokee, etc.), but a 5x great-grandfather (Francis Kane) died (of disease, as did many) at Ticonderoga in October 1776, so he would have been there when the Declaration of Independence was read that July.

3 953
 07-05-2017, 09:52 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
OK - my July 5 Iowa and Kansas shave with razor and blade from east coast in honor of Ken's 5x great-grandfather.  A favorite brush by the way!
[Image: ARu3fKt.jpg]

4 260
 07-05-2017, 11:17 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 09:52 AM)SCOV Wrote: OK - my July 5 Iowa and Kansas shave with razor and blade from east coast in honor of Ken's 5x great-grandfather.  A favorite brush by the way!
Cheers
Family tradition, as I remember it first being related to me when I was about 12 (so over 40 years ago), had it that Francis Kane married Mary Kennedy (or Canady) in a Presbyterian church in northern Ireland a few weeks before embarking for Pennsylvania in the early 1770s. Mary's wedding dress was said to have been made of white satin with a long train that was carried by four pages, "indicating she at least belonged to nobility". Also, Francis was supposed to have died at Valley Forge. But about 10 years back I was poking around in National Archive records and found that Francis and Mary both came over in 1773 as indentured servants, and that Francis died at Ticonderoga in 1776, not Valley Forge during the winter of 1777-78. It's pretty easy to see how that confusion could have come about over several generations of oral tradition. And the stuff about the white dress, etc., was probably just someone's fanciful embellishment. Anyhow, in light of the indentured servant status, it seems highly doubtful that I descended from nobility along that line. I'd guess Francis served to satisfy his master's or someone else's (through barter) military obligation in exchange for release from indenture, which isn't to say he wasn't a dutiful and brave patriot. In any case, he paid the price.

Mary gave birth to a daughter, also named Mary, within a few months after Francis died. Mary Kane married William Lynn (born 1775 in PA), my paternal grandfather's namesake. Cody's full name is William Cody Lynn.

As you might guess, we're waiting for handles from Corvallis, and I haven't got back into the swing of things yet.

3 953
 07-05-2017, 12:23 PM
User Info
Happy Anniversary and congrats on the PK-47 a truly beautiful brush and one I hope to own one day soon!

3 900
 07-05-2017, 05:35 PM
User Info
I used my Paladin Chief in honor of our first President and Commander in CHIEF George Washington...
and it's the only Paladin I have .

If you ever get a chance to go to Valley Forge, do so. Take along a book about the Revolutionary War: just sit in the middle of this big grassy patch, read and imagine. I did, it was incredible!

RON

0 147
 07-05-2017, 06:11 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 05:35 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I used my Paladin Chief in honor of our first President and Commander in CHIEF George Washington...
and it's the only Paladin I have .

If you ever get a chance to go to Valley Forge, do so. Take along a book about the Revolutionary War: just sit in the middle of this big grassy patch, read and imagine. I did, it was incredible!

RON

We lived within 10 miles of Valley Forge for a couple years (1991-1993). Our home was near Downingtown within an arrow shot of Marsh Creek State Lake. We kept our horse there. She had a stall in a 200+ year-old barn. For a kid from Kansas who studied history but grew up in a county with not much recorded history before the mid-1860s, Philadelphia was mind-blowing. Loved to walk through the cemeteries, including the one at Valley Forge. 

Another place I'd recommend that still breathes its history when I was last there is Antietam battlefield.

3 953