07-04-2017, 07:20 PM
User Info
Can anyone give any advice on a good menthol soap/cream ? I've got some proraso pre shave and soap that gives a decent menthol feel and I've used up my Queen Charlotte Vostok soap who are no longer in business. Looking for a mid-high menthol feeling soap. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 33
 07-04-2017, 07:28 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I love Cold River Soap Works Arctica. Plenty of menthol, and a pleasant light fragrance.

5 317
 07-04-2017, 08:47 PM
User Info
CRSW Limenthol
Image credit @edengler

[Image: v57wl6B.jpg]

26 986
 07-04-2017, 08:52 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I really like Edwin Jagger Cooling Menthol.  It has a pretty strong smell, but, is not overwhelming.  It has a fair amount of menthol.  Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite is in the super freeze category, it might be a bit much.  Lea Mentholated, and, Ingram shaving creams are both mentholated, and, are good, without being overwhelming.  A lot of people seem to like Margaritas in the Arctic, by Stirling, of Texas, and, there is always, of course, Palmolive with Menthol.  That last one is a bit strong.  Be careful of certain menthol creams, though.  The wrong kind of emulsifiers/binders used to blend menthol, with the other ingredients, can cause irritation.  

Oh, Krampert's Finest makes a couple of mentholated soaps, and, there is one called Frozen, which is a Rose scent.  Alas, I forget who makes it.  I am allergic to something in it, and, must pass on it.

1 567
 07-05-2017, 03:37 AM
User Info
For me Stirling's collection of menthol soaps provide a nice balance of menthol kick without taking it over the top.  I am a bit of a menthol junkie and follow up most shaves with Fine's Snake Bite for an intense finish, but I really do not enjoy that much menthol intensity in a soap.  Stirling seems to nail the balance with Margaritas in the Arctic, Orange Chill, and most recently Iced Pineapple.  Strong enough for nice menthol skin buzz without reaching the point of "Oh my God my face is burning !!! "

Kramperts Finest Frostbite which is made by Soap Smooth and is also a very nice menthol buzz in a very good performing soap.

6 223
 07-05-2017, 03:59 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 03:37 AM)Newton Wrote: For me Stirling's collection of menthol soaps provide a nice balance of menthol kick without taking it over the top.  I am a bit of a menthol junkie and follow up most shaves with Fine's Snake Bite for an intense finish, but I really do not enjoy that much menthol intensity in a soap.  Stirling seems to nail the balance with Margaritas in the Arctic, Orange Chill, and most recently Iced Pineapple.  Strong enough for nice menthol skin buzz without reaching the point of "Oh my God my face is burning !!! "

Kramperts Finest Frostbite which is made by Soap Smooth and is also a very nice menthol buzz in a very good performing soap.

Is Kramperts stronger than stirling menthol ?

0 33
 07-05-2017, 04:28 AM
User Info
Margaritas in the Arctic from Stirling is my end all menthol soap.  It outperforms it's pricepoint and the matching splash is phenominal.  It's more than a touch of menthol but won't freeze your face off like the Glacials

8 52
 07-05-2017, 04:46 AM
User Info
I Coloniali - the hard and creamy soaps (with Mango Oil, and Rhubarb, respectively) are mild-to-moderate, in terms of menthol intensity; both are excellent, in terms of in-/post-shave performance. Both are no longer produced, so might be difficult to find. 

Santa Maria Novella - the Crema da Barba (v3) is an excellent (albeit expensive) alternative; contains menthol, plus eucalyptus.

0 427
 07-05-2017, 04:48 AM
User Info
I've seen some menthol crystals for sale on Amazon and other places I wonder if you could just dilute one in some water and add it to the soap or if it's a glycerin soap just microwave it and get it melted and add one to it.

0 33
 07-05-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
+1 for Sterling's Margaritas in the Arctic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19 106
 07-05-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
Quite a few to choose from. In addition to above, you could consider:-

Barrister & Mann Arctique(available this Friday)
Mystic Water Prospect Creek
Phoenix & Beau Denali 
Meißner Mint Ice.

31 5,282
 07-05-2017, 04:57 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Savon de Volcans Romarin Menthe.

Amazing soap. Actually I used it yesterday for one more time and the shave was exceptional. It outperforms most other artisanal soaps I've tried. It's that good.

Available at Bullgoose.

49 1,940
 07-05-2017, 05:11 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Stirling lemon chill paired with the AS.  Really great on a hot day!

7 191
 07-05-2017, 08:45 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
 07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(07-05-2017, 04:46 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: I Coloniali - the hard and creamy soaps (with Mango Oil, and Rhubarb, respectively) are mild-to-moderate, in terms of menthol intensity; both are excellent, in terms of in-/post-shave performance. Both are no longer produced, so might be difficult to find. 

Santa Maria Novella - the Crema da Barba (v3) is an excellent (albeit expensive) alternative; contains menthol, plus eucalyptus.

SMN V3 has great menthol as well as stellar performance.

Chiseled Face Cryogen is a pure menthol soap.  There's nothing colder out there and I've tried them all.  One thing I like to do is add Cryogen to whatever other soap I'm using (in a lather bowl) to create a mentholated superlather.  Try Castle Forbes Lavender with Cryogen, about a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio.  However cold you want it.  Amazing!

46 933
 07-05-2017, 09:31 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 09:21 AM)EricM Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 04:46 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: I Coloniali - the hard and creamy soaps (with Mango Oil, and Rhubarb, respectively) are mild-to-moderate, in terms of menthol intensity; both are excellent, in terms of in-/post-shave performance. Both are no longer produced, so might be difficult to find. 

Chiseled Face Cryogen is a pure menthol soap.  There's nothing colder out there and I've tried them all.  One thing I like to do is add Cryogen to whatever other soap I'm using (in a lather bowl) to create a mentholated superlather.  Try Castle Forbes Lavender with Cryogen, about a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio.  However cold you want it.  Amazing!

I've heard Cryogen was insanely cold.

0 33
 07-05-2017, 09:52 AM
User Info
Mid to High is Stirling's Margaritas in the Arctic. Do you like the smell of limes? because it will fill your house with it as you lather it up. The aftershave is also magnificent. For very high menthol get any of Stirling's Glacial line.

2 150
 07-05-2017, 10:35 AM
User Info
BM artique.
Stirling Glacials.

24 698
 07-05-2017, 11:00 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(07-05-2017, 09:31 AM)BradleyD1146 Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 09:21 AM)EricM Wrote:

I've heard Cryogen was insanely cold.

Cryogen is the coldest soap out there.  B&M Arctique is the coldest AS I've used (even against Cryogen AS).

46 933
 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM
User Info
(07-04-2017, 07:28 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I love Cold River Soap Works Arctica. Plenty of menthol, and a pleasant light fragrance.

Agree! Pretty darn cold but not tear inducing borderline painful. CRSW Limenthol is another one to try with a perfect menthol level. Definitely know you are using a mentholated soap, nice cooling effect but not overpowering.

0 71