07-05-2017, 03:28 AM
User Info
My wife and I watch MASH when the series is on, and when we can catch it ... it was funny, and the cast was strong, and (to us) it beats - hands down - reality TV and some of the stuff that passes for funny entertainment today ...

I've seen Hawkeye shave with what looked like a Gem back when Trapper was still there and later - with a what looked like a black handle Gillette after BJ replaced Trapper.  I've seen Trapper shave with a straight.  
When I think of it, I've seen shaving in a lot of older movies and television ... High Pains Drifter, Rio Bravo, Tombstone, Band of Brothers ... just about EVERY mafia movie!  
What do all these have in common ... they are older, but also set in the past for the most part.

Jump to the future ... have you seen anyone shave in Star Trek?  Star Wars?  Aliens? or any other movie set in the distant future?  They may still shave, and I've not seen or remember every episode of Star Trek - but if they do - I've missed it.  Even in movies where people 'hybernate' I guess it suspends the hair growth too - they typically come out of their sleeping berths clean shaven.  

Do you know of a futute-set movie or television show that featured shaving?

Heck - share your ones of the past here too.   Wink

3 203
 07-05-2017, 10:10 AM
User Info
 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 10:10 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Star Trek razors: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Razor

That's pretty cool - I'm not a Trekkie for sure!

3 203
 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Off the top of my head, iirc, there was a scene in "Play it Again, Sam" where the Woody Allen character applies what seemed like half a container of canned goo all over his face and then wipes away the foam from his lips with a swipe of a finger. Don't remember what kind of a razor he used.

There was the scene in "The Graduate" where Benjamin slices his finger while shaving. Maybe that was a Gillette TTO?

I kind of remember Ward Cleaver shaving in an episode, and also the Bill Bixby character in My Favorite Martian.

There are definitely others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

And you're right. There's much less in terms of shaving scenes in more modern film/tv.

7 2,299
 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM
User Info
James Bond gets a Straight Razor shave from Miss Moneypenny in Skyfall.

0 195
 07-20-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
Mt wife and I have been watching M*A*S*H lately - I never realized (until I began traditional shaving) how much shaving is in that show.  I've seen Henry Blake and Trapper shave with a straight, Frank Burns (getting ready for a date with Hot Lips) shaving with what looked like a micromatic or some other SE GEM.  I've seen BJ shaving too.  I even saw a Col. who was a Gereral's aide head shaving ....

A lot of shaving going on in that show!

3 203
 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
Here's a quick add on just for fun
It's recent TV

0 195
 07-30-2017, 08:18 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(07-20-2017, 03:00 PM)1981Eagle Wrote: Mt wife and I have been watching M*A*S*H lately - I never realized (until I began traditional shaving) how much shaving is in that show.  I've seen Henry Blake and Trapper shave with a straight, Frank Burns (getting ready for a date with Hot Lips) shaving with what looked like a micromatic or some other SE GEM.  I've seen BJ shaving too.  I even saw a Col. who was a Gereral's aide head shaving ....

A lot of shaving going on in that show!

Eagle, my wife and I just saw an episode of MASH in which Hawkeye was shaving. I couldn't have been more excited when I was watching Armstrong take his giant leap for mankind. My wife was getting ready to call 911. As best as I could tell it was a Super Speed.
But to address your question, I don't think I've ever seen a movie or tv show set in the future that had a shaving scene in it.

7 2,352
 08-24-2017, 06:07 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Event Horizon (set in 2047) shows Sam Neill as Dr. William Weir using a straight razor while on a space station. Sam's technique is horrible...I will not try holding the blade at a 103 degree angle.

...and he came out of his sleeping berth clean shaven!

0 360