07-05-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
This is a question that may have already been answered somewhere in the forum. I have a Frank silvertip with a very densely packed knot. I have to leave a lot of water in the brush and use a lot of product to get it to yield the lather. I love the feel of the brush, and as long as I do the water product thing, I get great lather.  My question: are densely packed knots highly valued?

0 88
 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 06:25 PM)Ilnones Wrote: This is a question that may have already been answered somewhere in the forum. I have a Frank silvertip with a very densely packed knot. I have to leave a lot of water in the brush and use a lot of product to get it to yield the lather. I love the feel of the brush, and as long as I do the water product thing, I get great lather.  My question: are densely packed knots highly valued?

A few years ago, it seemed to me like that densely packed knots were the rage. Is yours 3-band or 2-band? Sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference.

I've always preferred medium density 2-bands for the reasons you mention. Softer-haired 3-bands typically want higher density to compensate for less resilience.

3 997
 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 06:38 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:25 PM)Ilnones Wrote: This is a question that may have already been answered somewhere in the forum. I have a Frank silvertip with a very densely packed knot. I have to leave a lot of water in the brush and use a lot of product to get it to yield the lather. I love the feel of the brush, and as long as I do the water product thing, I get great lather.  My question: are densely packed knots highly valued?

A few years ago, it seemed to me like that densely packed knots were the rage. Is yours 3-band or 2-band? Sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference.

I've always preferred medium density 2-bands for the reasons you mention. Softer-haired 3-bands typically want higher density to compensate for less resilience.

Mine is a three band with lots of backbone, because of the density, but very soft

0 88
 07-05-2017, 06:49 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 06:46 PM)Ilnones Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:38 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:

Mine is a three band with lots of backbone, because of the density, but very soft

That's the tradeoff. I have some amazing Rooney 3-bands from a few years back. I enjoy using them once in a while just for the luxury, but they aren't what I usually reach for. I don't prefer highly dense 2-bands, but I also don't like 3-bands with medium density. I just have an aversion to the feel of a floppy brush. But that's highly subjective. Sounds like you have a very nice brush.

3 997
 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 06:49 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:46 PM)Ilnones Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:38 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: A few years ago, it seemed to me like that densely packed knots were the rage. Is yours 3-band or 2-band? Sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference.

That's the tradeoff. I have some amazing Rooney 3-bands from a few years back. I enjoy using them once in a while just for the luxury, but they aren't what I usually reach for. I don't prefer highly dense 2-bands, but I also don't like 3-bands with medium density. I just have an aversion to the feel of a floppy brush. But that's highly subjective. Sounds like you have a very nice brush.
It is a nice brush. I have a Kent BK2 that is very floppy by comparison, but I have recently mastered face lathering with it. I do love the  Frank silvertip. I notice I have trouble spelling "densely."

0 88
 07-06-2017, 02:41 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don't like densely packed brushes.  I've sold 2 brushes because they were too dense for me: an M&F Blonde and a Semogue OC 2-band finest.  Shortly I'll be selling 3 more of my too dense brushes: a Simpson Chubby 1 best, a VP Leonhardy 2-band Silvertip and a WSP Monarch.  That'll leave me  with just 2 dense brushes which I intend to keep for a change of pace occasionally: a shavemac 2-band and a shavemac 2-band unique.

7 909
 07-06-2017, 06:04 AM
User Info
I absolutely adore densely packed 2-Band knots.  Shy

83 21,078
 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I prefer medium density and very soft tips... after trying low, medium, and high density.
So 2-band Thater hit the sweet spot for me.

59 2,824
 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 08:26 AM)Nero Wrote: So 2-band Thater hit the sweet spot for me.
Indeed...one of the best balanced knots around!  Cool

73 4,303
 07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
User Info
Ken has explained things just the way I see them as well. I too enjoy the old dense Rooney three bands , I also shy away from an overly dense three band unless it had a magic high loft that allowed the brush to work proper.

60 1,533
 07-06-2017, 05:17 PM
User Info
It all depends on your skin and what type of face feel you enjoy.  Brushes with uber density will not have as much flow, so they will require more product and will not excel at creating a lot of lather quickly.  They will, however, give you a lot of scrub, if that's something your skin can tolerate and you enjoy.  I like the feel of very dense brushes, but I have to accept that they will never create the quick explosion of lather I get from less dense brushes.

50 6,100