07-06-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
You had RAD (razor acquisition disorder).  You bought and sold and razors and thinned out the rotation to the razors you really like.  You think, "I'm done" ... 

You had a BAD (brush acquisition disorder).  You bought and sold, bought and PIF'd, or bought and tossed brushes until you had what you like  and you thought, "I'm done" ...

You had a soap or cream acquisition disorder - you tried so many, you can no longer count ... You've thinned them out to the point that you now have your favorites.  You think, "I'm done" ..

Same for blades ...

So have you ever got to the point that you have everything you want and need in a category - how long does it last?

The reason I ask is that I am at that point right now with all categories.  My razor rotation is a Rocnel SE-G, an ATT H and a ATT Calypso R.  I load them with Gem PFTE's, Astra SP's, Treet Black Beauties, and Gillette Silver Blues.  I have the brushes I want.  I have the creams and soaps I like ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?

1 150
 07-06-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
About a few weeks until I see something on the BST that might catches my eye.

24 687
 07-06-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
If one is serious about a hobby, as opposed to a passing fad, one is never "done."  The pace of acquisitions may decrease, because you get more selective as you refine your preferences.  However, you will always be intrigued by and acquire new items because it's a hobby and you're just into it.

43 5,486
 07-06-2017, 05:42 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(07-06-2017, 04:48 PM)1981Eagle Wrote: You had RAD (razor acquisition disorder).  You bought and sold and razors and thinned out the rotation to the razors you really like.  You think, "I'm done" ... 

You had a BAD (brush acquisition disorder).  You bought and sold, bought and PIF'd, or bought and tossed brushes until you had what you like  and you thought, "I'm done" ...

You had a soap or cream acquisition disorder - you tried so many, you can no longer count ... You've thinned them out to the point that you now have your favorites.  You think, "I'm done" ..

Same for blades ...

So have you ever got to the point that you have everything you want and need in a category - how long does it last?

The reason I ask is that I am at that point right now with all categories.  My razor rotation is a Rocnel SE-G, an ATT H and a ATT Calypso R.  I load them with Gem PFTE's, Astra SP's, Treet Black Beauties, and Gillette Silver Blues.  I have the brushes I want.  I have the creams and soaps I like ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?

which one uses the GEMs?

1 509
 07-06-2017, 05:52 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I have not reached "Done" yet. Hope I don'tSmile

59 4,329
 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM
User Info
What a strange concept...

It ebbs and flows, partly in sync with available funds and partly in time to what triggers my interest... but it never ever goes away.

3 4,344
 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM
User Info
I prefer to have "slowed down" on the acquisitions vs. "stopped" Smile

In home audio, there is the concept of "end game" gear that permanently halts new purchases. I believe it's meant to signify the end of a personal journey vs. what many of us in the wet-shaving world experience as an ongoing exploration.

23 905
 07-06-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 04:48 PM)1981Eagle Wrote: You had RAD (razor acquisition disorder).  You bought and sold and razors and thinned out the rotation to the razors you really like.  You think, "I'm done" ... 

Same for blades ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
I hope soon...running out of space.

5 110
 07-06-2017, 08:30 PM
User Info
I don't tell myself "I'm done". I'll know when I stop visiting TSN, because reading reviews and seeing photos definitely contributes to the desire to try new things.

I still need to try CRSW and Mike's Natural, for example.

6 641
 07-06-2017, 10:14 PM
User Info
Personally, I found a while back that getting a crappy shave due to "having" or feeling the "need" to try a new product was very unpleasant and unfulfilling. So although I haven't tried as much of the market today as I did when I got into wet shaving, I have to say I am happy to enjoy a quality shave over choosing to risk it with a new product.

Recently, I did a huge den clearance but have still managed to buy and try a few items that weren't on my radar. They were more quick impulsive buys but it was different from when I was buy soap after soap after soap years ago. I got to the point where I wasn't happy sitting on so much stuff that I knew I wouldn't enjoy using.

I look at it more as a pacing. I'm happy to be open to new products but realistically I have found what works the best for my skin so now it is simply trying something that is either different or better. I have no interest in chasing a rabbit that will lead me into blind buying so many products.

79 1,287
 07-07-2017, 01:29 AM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 05:42 PM)Quando Wrote:

Same for blades ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?

which one uses the GEMs?
The Rocnel... I love that razor!

1 150
 07-10-2017, 02:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
If I had discovered wet shaving while I still was working, my brush and razor collections would probably filled a room or two. I wouldn't have had the financial restraints i do today. Even so it has been a struggle not to fall into that abyss. It is one reason i turned to vintage blades, which are worth it anyways. They help satisfy that need to acquire without dropping $300 a pop.

7 2,250
 07-10-2017, 04:57 AM
User Info
Well, I don't know exactly. I'm not in acquisition mode anymore but I intend to keep the razors that made the cut. They've been in the cabinet for years and will stay there for many more years if the past predicts the future. I do have 3 lather catchers that I bought from a friend that I intended to have replated. But I haven't even cleaned them since I got them 2 years ago, so I'm passing them on to a gent who expressed an interest in that genre of razors. So clearly I'm done with acquisition. Why? My shaves simply can't get better and spending more $ won't result in a better quality or more enjoyable shave.

32 6,420
 07-10-2017, 05:29 AM
User Info
I started with a bad case of BAD then went RAD with DE/SE razors and then onto straights and strops and at the same time was stocking up on soaps, splashes and balms but now am going the other way, I have given or sold a lot away and still have more to get rid of, currently at 17 brushes, 16 straights and 5-6 assorted DE/SE razors and have not purchased and soaps or splashes in several months, my shaves I can't see getting any better and I gave up chasing that BBS that only lasts a few hours so it two smooth passes with zero irritation and ending with a DFS id good for me, the only thing I chase now is that smooth sharp HHT 4 honing a straight either for me or someone else.

6 1,211
 07-10-2017, 05:36 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info

Same for blades ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?

Not very............always good intentions though.

4 2,657
 07-10-2017, 05:50 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I am a Positive Thinking person.  With my spending on shaving gear, I cannot afford a drug habit.

4 259
 07-10-2017, 06:44 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have most of the razors and brushes that I desire to use in my rotation but I will never be truly done. There are many pieces of hardware still worthy of being acquired but any further additions have much less utility and return relative to their cost. Any razor or brush bought is bought to be kept and used, not resold or placed in storage. I am done but for the elusive very special items. For consumables it is a matter of cutting off purchases until existing items can be used before they spoil. I have been finishing off various creams for almost three years to that end. Some new soaps are now on order but no creams as some have not stored well. Trying to maintain a sane balance and support some of the wonderful artisan soap makers in the process. About three years since a razor purchase, 2 years for creams/soaps, 18 months for a brush, and 12 months for aftershave. Visiting the forum destroys restraint... time to visit the local shave shop!

0 580
 07-10-2017, 07:15 AM
User Info

Same for blades ...

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?

For me, nothing ever lasts.  I say that's it and a week or two later I am ordering again.  The other problem, or not a problem but an issue is new products are coming out more frequently.  We are what we are and it won't change.

0 235
 07-10-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
Razor and blades, I am done.  I use 1 razor for my face and 1 for my melon, the melon doesn't like slants so hence the need for a 2nd razor.....anyway, I own and use 2 razors all others have been sold.  I found blade nirvana so I buy only 1 blade. 

I tinker with brushes, they are more expensive so it's slower but I could technically be done if I wanted to be.  Brush count is 5

Soaps....what I have and use works beautifully but, I will always try new soaps/artisans so this will likely never be truly done.  That being said, the bar is set very high for me to add a new soap to his soapy bretheren but I've been surprised before

0 46
 07-11-2017, 11:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-06-2017, 05:23 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: If one is serious about a hobby, as opposed to a passing fad, one is never "done."  The pace of acquisitions may decrease, because you get more selective as you refine your preferences.  However, you will always be intrigued by and acquire new items because it's a hobby and you're just into it.

Great points, Ricardo. I've slowed down on my purchases, but doubt that I'll ever stop buying more shave goods. It's fun engaging in procurement, and let's face it, products do get used up.

3 1,812