07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I have a Klenzo brush to reknot. I've had good success in the past (several years ago) with TGN knots.
I see a HMW listed as well as the Finest (two band).

Does anyone have experience with the TGN HMW knot? Is it worth 2.5x the price of the Finest?

Thanks

57 1,569
 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 07:50 PM)MaxP Wrote: I have a Klenzo brush to reknot.  I've had good success in the past (several years ago) with TGN knots.
I see a HMW listed as well as the Finest (two band).  

Does anyone have experience with the TGN HMW knot?  Is it worth 2.5x the price of the Finest?

Thanks

The first HMW I bought and the second HMW I bought from TGN was day and night. The first one was incredible and then second one, bought about 2 years after was horrible. Tons of grey junk in the knot even after 5 washing and it would just not produce lather. Below is an example of the 22mm HMW TGN knot I got back at the end of 2011 I think. Very much gel tipped, soft and not very dense. The finest I think is less of a risk and is more reasonable in price.

[Image: uaR7twS.jpg]

79 1,298
 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM
User Info
I have both from recent purchases and my favorite knot is the Finest. The HMW is a nice knot but the Finest has the gel tips which I like.

9 118
 07-07-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
I've been advised to avoid the HMW from TGN due to the softness. I'm not sure if in the context of that discussion about it that quality was a concern. Just that the Silvertip and Silvertip Grade A were a better value for the money.

I really like the Silvertip Grade A. For softness with a respectable compromise on the backbone front.

For my day to day preference I prefer the Finest. 

I haven't gotten a new knot from TGN in a while. Except for the flat top finest. Which didn't really impress me.

7 1,316