07-08-2017, 12:49 AM
User Info
I own a variety of vintage GEM razors (1912, Bullet, ClogPruf, MMOC)  as well as an ATT SE1.  While I rotate through all of my razors on a regular basis I have this strong sense that the Artist Club blades (Feather Pro is my favorite) are smoother, more efficient and less irritating than the GEM Personna blades.  Of course, since there is no easy way to compare the GEM and ATT razors, I have no way of knowing if my impression is a function of the differences between the blades or the razors.

For those of you who shave with both GEM and Artist Club blades, how do you compare them?  

For those of you who have had the good fortune to try one of the modern GEM razors (ATT, Blackland, Rocnel), does a modern, stainless steel design change the feel of a GEM blade?

Cheers

4 79
 07-08-2017, 01:27 AM
User Info
Interesting and timely question.  Looking forward to the responses.

50 6,424
 07-08-2017, 02:04 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
AC work much better for me. I believe the biggest disadvantage of modern( and vintage) GEM razors is the lack of blade choices. If Ted Pellas don't suit you, then you can't continue using the razors.

49 2,017
 07-08-2017, 03:40 AM
User Info
I find I prefer the GEM in one of my 1912s to the Feather AC in my RR Hawk, but just slightly.  I do find I need to change the GEM blade more often than the AC blades. I still like most any modern DE blade in my black handle Super Speed more than either of those but again, only slightly.

0 168
 07-08-2017, 05:48 AM
User Info
In my experience, the Feather AC Blades are far, far sharper than the GEM blades. The AC blades are a little more finicky to load into some razors, and because of their width, the razors can be less 'nimble', but perhaps the sharpest of all blades, including the Feather DE blades.

24 662
 07-08-2017, 06:44 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(07-08-2017, 12:49 AM)rodmonster Wrote: I own a variety of vintage GEM razors (1912, Bullet, ClogPruf, MMOC)  as well as an ATT SE1.  While I rotate through all of my razors on a regular basis I have this strong sense that the Artist Club blades (Feather Pro is my favorite) are smoother, more efficient and less irritating than the GEM Personna blades.  Of course, since there is no easy way to compare the GEM and ATT razors, I have no way of knowing if my impression is a function of the differences between the blades or the razors.

For those of you who shave with both GEM and Artist Club blades, how do you compare them?  

For those of you who have had the good fortune to try one of the modern GEM razors (ATT, Blackland, Rocnel), does a modern, stainless steel design change the feel of a GEM blade?

Cheers

Yes. The Blackland Sabre has made the GEM blade a daily user for me. I prefer daily shaves during the week and have tried many other GEM style razors that with consecutive shaves give me a building irritation. I take the approach with all my razors to match a blade that is smooth and efficient for my needs. As Nick mentioned above the GEM style is a singluar blade choice so waiting for the right characteristics in a razor design was the only path to using the GEM blade.

61 4,626
 07-08-2017, 08:21 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-08-2017, 06:44 AM) pid=\814952' Wrote:eenglerYes. The Blackland Sabre has made the GEM blade a daily user for me. I prefer daily shaves during the week and have tried many other GEM style razors that with consecutive shaves give me a building irritation. I take the approach with all my razors to match a blade that is smooth and efficient for my needs. As Nick mentioned above the GEM style is a singular blade choice so waiting for the right characteristics in a razor design was the only path to using the GEM blade.

That's no light endorsement for the Sabre as I share similar experiences with GEM blades in other razors. Personally, I think GEM blades are so-so; the GEM carbon—absolutely horrid. To find the razor that tames them into an acceptable shaving experience is really something. I'll have to purchase a Sabre after reading your feedback. Thanks.

When using my vintage razors I prefer the Feather FHS-10 over GEM blades by a vast margin. I wish GEM blade were manufactured to the same standards as Feather blades.

13 626
 07-08-2017, 08:45 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(07-08-2017, 08:21 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 06:44 AM)pid=\814952 Wrote:eenglerYes. The Blackland Sabre has made the GEM blade a daily user for me. I prefer daily shaves during the week and have tried many other GEM style razors that with consecutive shaves give me a building irritation. I take the approach with all my razors to match a blade that is smooth and efficient for my needs. As Nick mentioned above the GEM style is a singular blade choice so waiting for the right characteristics in a razor design was the only path to using the GEM blade.

That's no light endorsement for the Sabre as I share similar experiences with GEM blades in other razors. Personally, I think GEM blades are so-so; the GEM carbon—absolutely horrid. To find the razor that tames them into an acceptable shaving experience is really something. I'll have to purchase a Sabre after reading your feedback. Thanks.

When using my vintage razors I prefer the Feather FHS-10 over GEM blades by a vast margin. I wish GEM blade were manufactured to the same standards as Feather blades.

This was an eye opener for me, I had almost given up on the GEM blade. 

Fingers crossed you find it to your liking!

61 4,626
 07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info
(07-08-2017, 08:21 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 06:44 AM)pid=\814952 Wrote:eenglerYes. The Blackland Sabre has made the GEM blade a daily user for me. I prefer daily shaves during the week and have tried many other GEM style razors that with consecutive shaves give me a building irritation. I take the approach with all my razors to match a blade that is smooth and efficient for my needs. As Nick mentioned above the GEM style is a singular blade choice so waiting for the right characteristics in a razor design was the only path to using the GEM blade.

I don't have any vintage razors. The Feather FHS-10 is the blade used in the OneBlade CORE and Genesis razors. What other razors use this blade? Which vintage razors?
Thanks ...

49 417
 07-08-2017, 09:38 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-08-2017, 09:20 AM)akbkr23 Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 08:21 AM)Entasis Wrote: When using my vintage razors I prefer the Feather FHS-10 over GEM blades by a vast margin. I wish GEM blade were manufactured to the same standards as Feather blades.

I don't have any vintage razors. The Feather FHS-10 is the blade used in the OneBlade CORE and Genesis razors. What other razors use this blade? Which vintage razors?
Thanks ...

The Valet/Auto-Strop vintage razors. The Feather FHS-10 was initially made to work with these razors—not the OneBlade. The middle cutouts in the Feather FHS-10 are so the Valet cover (that have bent tabs) will work. It's one of the reasons when I read that OneBlade didn’t review any of the vintage razors when designing theirs, I call nonsense.

13 626
 07-08-2017, 02:42 PM
User Info
Up until recently I would have agreed that the AC blades are sharper than the Gem blades.

However, I think it is significant that none of the vintage razors were designed for the modern stainless steel blade with its ptfe coating and 3 facet grind. It takes a modern razor to bring out the full potential of this blade (this is not a knock on the vintage SE razors - I own about a hundred of them).

Thus the Blackland Sabre was a real eye-opener for me. Loaded with the Gem stainless steel ptfe coated blade it holds its own against the Asylum Rx, General, Hawk, etc.

--Bob

0 185
 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
Thanks Bob,

That is exactly the type of response I was hoping for regarding the new stainless steel GEM razors.  In terms of aggressiveness, how would you compare the Blackland with the Asylum Rx or the ATT SE1?

4 79
 07-08-2017, 05:54 PM
User Info
The Sabre falls into the "mild but efficient" category, meaning that it is a lot closer to the SE1, General, etc. than to the Asylum Rx. The razor has a mild feel when shaving, not a lot of blade feel, and quite forgiving - shaves were routinely free from irritation and weepers. Despite this, it is as efficient as more aggressive models and achieving a BBS shave was not difficult.

--Bob

0 185
 07-08-2017, 06:40 PM
User Info
(07-08-2017, 05:54 PM)spidey9 Wrote: The Sabre falls into the "mild but efficient" category, meaning that it is a lot closer to the SE1, General, etc. than to the Asylum Rx. The razor has a mild feel when shaving, not a lot of blade feel, and quite forgiving - shaves were routinely free from irritation and weepers. Despite this, it is as efficient as more aggressive models and achieving a BBS shave was not difficult.

--Bob

Interesting comment. I use the SE1 and RX, and the SE1 shaves close, but nowhere near the RX - and that said, the shave doesn't last as long.

29 1,207
 07-09-2017, 12:03 AM
User Info
(07-08-2017, 06:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 05:54 PM)spidey9 Wrote: The Sabre falls into the "mild but efficient" category, meaning that it is a lot closer to the SE1, General, etc. than to the Asylum Rx. The razor has a mild feel when shaving, not a lot of blade feel, and quite forgiving - shaves were routinely free from irritation and weepers. Despite this, it is as efficient as more aggressive models and achieving a BBS shave was not difficult.

--Bob

Interesting comment. I use the SE1 and RX, and the SE1 shaves close, but nowhere near the RX - and that said, the shave doesn't last as long.

My Asylum Rx does indeed shave closer than the Sabre (and just about every other razor I own, for that matter), but the difference is small, and the Rx is much more likely to draw blood if I get careless or momentarily lose focus.

--Bob

0 185
 07-09-2017, 07:50 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-08-2017, 02:42 PM)spidey9 Wrote: Thus the Blackland Sabre was a real eye-opener for me. Loaded with the Gem stainless steel ptfe coated blade it holds its own against the Asylum Rx, General, Hawk, etc.

--Bob

First eengler, Obie (in another thread) and now you, Bob weighting-in with positive notes for a modern day GEM razor. I'm impressed! All of you experienced shaving enthusiasts whose forum posts/threads I read intently.

13 626
 07-09-2017, 05:05 PM
User Info
For over a year now, I've been shaving with Feather ACs exclusively -- Pro Supers. It's been years since I've used GEM blades, though I have almost 100 of them on hand. I have an ATT G1 on order and am looking forward to trying the GEM blades in it. AC Pro Supers will be a hard act to follow, though.

Follow-up: The Pro Supers were a hard act to follow. I exchanged the G1 for an ATT Calypso SE.

0 99
 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(07-09-2017, 05:05 PM)Viseguy Wrote: For over a year now, I've been shaving with Feather ACs exclusively -- Pro Supers. It's been years since I've used. GEM blade, though I have almost 100 of them on hand. I have an ATT G1 on order and am looking forward to trying the GEM blades in it. AC Pro Supers will be a hard act to follow, though.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I love Pro Supers in my ATT SE2 and modern Alumigoose. What are your favorite razors with that blade? Just curious.

6 385
 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM
User Info
(07-09-2017, 05:27 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 05:05 PM)Viseguy Wrote: For over a year now, I've been shaving with Feather ACs exclusively -- Pro Supers. It's been years since I've used. GEM blade, though I have almost 100 of them on hand. I have an ATT G1 on order and am looking forward to trying the GEM blades in it. AC Pro Supers will be a hard act to follow, though.

I love Pro Supers in my ATT SE2 and modern Alumigoose. What are your favorite razors with that blade? Just curious.
My rotation is:

ATT SE2 v1 with Colossus handle
Colonial General black with Charcoal Goods copper handle
Colonial General aluminum with UFO Kaiser aluminum handle
Kai Captain Excelia kamisori-style straight

Looking to pair the ATT G1 head with my Kronos handle.

0 99
 07-10-2017, 10:00 PM
User Info
I am going to assume that Personna sells far more GEM blades for industrial/utility use than for shaving.  Other than the PTFE coating, is there a difference in the edge between the GEM utility blade and shaving blade?  Is the GEM edge a modern design similar to the Artist Club blade edge?

Anyone have a microscope available and the skill to compare the quality of the blade edge between the GEM and AC blades?

4 79