07-08-2017, 10:21 AM
User Info
Have the new Tallow & Steel Morocco. Scent is heavy on the smoke. All I get is smoke. Do any one else has this soap.

3 49
 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I do. Keep it open for a few days and once the "smokiness" mellows down you will feel many more interesting elements of this amazing concoction.

112 1,495
 07-08-2017, 11:35 AM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
Yup I have it as well, use it for a few days and the smokey scent dies down, when I first got it smoke was all I could smell too

2 455
 07-08-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
ARGH, Thank's for the advice, will do.

3 49
 07-08-2017, 01:22 PM
User Info
Anyone that has a few of the new scents care to comment on them? I've heard that the new formula is very good but haven't seen too much info regarding what the new scents are like.

3 920
 07-08-2017, 02:02 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-08-2017, 01:22 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: Anyone that has a few of the new scents care to comment on them? I've heard that the new formula is very good but haven't seen too much info regarding what the new scents are like.

I didnt like some of the new scents , but I know Ryan have been working in improving them.I also looking forward for a LE foroafeitado , using the Classic scent as a base but slightly tweaked.

88 7,214
 07-08-2017, 02:25 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
(07-08-2017, 02:02 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 01:22 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: Anyone that has a few of the new scents care to comment on them? I've heard that the new formula is very good but haven't seen too much info regarding what the new scents are like.

I didnt like some of the new scents , but I know Ryan have been working in improving them.I also looking forward for a LE foroafeitado , using the Classic scent as a base but slightly tweaked.

Where did you here about this? I loved the classic scent! When is this coming?

2 455
 07-08-2017, 02:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-08-2017, 02:25 PM)iShave Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 02:02 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Where did you here about this? I loved the classic scent! When is this coming?

Well ,I am the admin of foroafeitado and we are working that with Ryan , but he is now busy with other projects.

And yes , thats the idea.Classic scent slightly tweaked.The Classic scent is nothing less than sublime.

88 7,214
 07-08-2017, 02:35 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info

The soap and aftershave is the best I've used... post shave is top of the class. Scents... well... I like the ones I have, they don't smell impressive off the puck but when lathered they open up a bit more, the aftershave smell really great and hit the scent profile very nicely. I think the soap base is mudding up the scent a good bit, they still smell good maybe 7 out of 10. The performance and especially the post shave is what has me using T&S almost everyday.

2 455
 07-08-2017, 03:12 PM
User Info
I have the Boreal...
Performance is off the carts, imo better than any current artisan soaps.
Scent, at least for me, is somehow a let down. Now, is not that awful, it's just unusual, hard to describe. Even so, i've been using it for the fast 2 weeks every day, i can not go over performance.

0 1
 07-10-2017, 02:55 AM
User Info
To echo the posts, I've read the scents were a bit of a let down but the performance is great.  I was disappointed Rainforest didn't come back

18 62
 07-10-2017, 05:38 AM
User Info
I liked the scent of Himalaya the best out of all the new ones. I wasn't a fan of the scents of the old or new release; they were just too complex for my tastes.

23 656
 07-10-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
I had Morocco. It was too smokey for my taste and I sold it. I also own West Indies. It's nice. The allspice, coconut, and orange are a nice combination. Too be honest, I think old scents were great. Rainforest is one of my all time favorites. Classic, dark, and grog were also great. I wish Ryan would bring these back.

5 108
 07-10-2017, 06:55 AM
User Info
Never got a chance to use  Rainforest. What is the scent profile for the aftershave of Morocco.

3 49
 07-10-2017, 06:56 AM
User Info
Morocco shave soap reminds me of the smell of Copenhagen dip.

10 164
 07-10-2017, 09:15 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I have a 1x used Maya set if anyone with Morocco wants to trade.  Maya smells great but I got a little burning.

Cheers,
Eric

48 976
 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
(07-10-2017, 09:15 AM)EricM Wrote: I have a 1x used Maya set if anyone with Morocco wants to trade.  Maya smells great but I got a little burning.

Cheers,
Eric

You should try it again... I had this happen to me with the rainforest scent but I think on the 2nd or 3rd shave I never got that burn again.

2 455
 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(07-10-2017, 09:15 AM)EricM Wrote: I have a 1x used Maya set if anyone with Morocco wants to trade.  Maya smells great but I got a little burning.

Cheers,
Eric

About the time you posted I was in the local shave shop and bought those two! Got the last Boreal aftershave as well but they were out of the soap. Unfortunate you have chosen to sell as much other social media paints a good picture of both. They have cut back on the Cade in Morocco due to the smoke levels. I am looking forward to trying these out. You should be able to sell quickly. Good luck.

0 631
 07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Yeah, it's strange.  I've used almost every T+S produced and only had a reaction with Maya.  I may give it another try but the AS especially lit me up.

Eric

48 976
 07-11-2017, 06:45 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I will prattle on for those who have not tried Tallow & Steel.

My first day using Tallow & Steel. I like challenging scents and felt the smokiness of Morocco would make it the least popular so I started with it... and found... This soap is everything an artisanal soap maker should aim for.

Presentation is excellent with the black plastic container being of ample width and depth to allow for easy loading of larger brushes with little risk of spillage and unnecessary cleanup or waste. The lid has a very course thread that screws on without any fiddling or fuss. The flat edge of the lid is wide and mates to the jar in a perfect air tight seal. It is tough as well, taking a chest high drop to a tile floor with nary a scuff. Labelling is attractive with colourful scent/region appropriate artwork. It contains all the necessary ingredient and scent information and conveys a lot about the T&S ethic. Labels are applied with a level of precision that speaks to the attention that also went into the contents. The containers are wide and flat - perfect for stacking if you suffer from SAD.

On my first use of this soap I loaded a Simpson T3 Manchurian for 30 seconds which is my norm. In retrospect 25 would have been enough and possibly 20 seconds if the soap was in daily use. Added 10-12 drops of water and face lathered. Opening the jar and loading the smokiness of Morocco was on the rough side but within a very few seconds of starting to lather the scent subsides and mellows. Still smoke predominated but if you are an outdoors type it is very pleasant. I couldn't pick out the individual notes but it hinted at a dark rose in the background.

The soap lathered quickly and smoothly. I like a fairly thick deep lather for a straight razor shave and T&S delivered with ease. A 6/8 Thiers Issard was the razor of the day. One WTG pass and one ATG left me near BBS and no nicks or weepers. Enough lather remained in the brush for a third pass or more had it been needed. The feel throughout was top notch and remaining lather rinsed off leaving no remnants on the skin. The scent was evident throughout the shave doing its job in making shaving a pleasure. The soap did everything I expect plus it rinsed easily and fully from the blade several times per pass. It also rinsed out of the brush without fuss and didn't leave residue in the sink. T&S has found the perfect balance with their base. I won't try their soap with a double edge for a few days but it looks like I can have a thick lather and not clog the razor.

I have owned and used many of the high end soaps. T&S could easily fall in the top five for performance. The presentation and packaging which contributes to use and enjoyment is on par with or exceeds many of the best, while maintaining a very reasonable price.

I will be purchasing all five of the current line. Tallow & Steel has wowed me like no other. Any serious wet shaver owes it to them-self to at least sample this new line.

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread.

0 631