07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Rocnel razor will also take the Feather FHS blades. I only had a few FHS blades remaining but included them along with plenty of Gem blades for the tour.

46 18,356
 07-12-2017, 12:34 PM
User Info
I am in! Thanks very much?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 57
 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
The Rocnel is already on its way. I have plenty of SE blades so I'll just use my own and leave these for those that are new to SEs.

31 8,057
 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
User Info
I am excited to be on the pass around list. Thank you so much for the opportunity, Phil. Cheers!

69 2,186
 07-14-2017, 04:35 AM
User Info
SE-G is set for delivery today. I still don't see how Phil is able to bend the USPS to his whims. I wasn't originally expecting it until Saturday or Monday. First shave will be tomorrow.

David1201, I will be sending you a PM later today to get your shipping info.

31 8,057
 07-14-2017, 05:42 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thanks for the update Brian! I did not expect it to arrive until Saturday either. Sometimes the usps exceeds expectations.

46 18,356
 07-14-2017, 05:44 AM
User Info
Not in on the tour - as I have my own Rocnel SE-G ... I love it. 

My only advice to those trying it for the first time, as mentioned by pbrmhl, there are no blade stops ... and the width of the head is not too much wider than the width of the SE blade itself.  Pay close attention to the distance between the blade and the edge of the head on each side.

Once, and only once, I was careless in my loading and the blade was pretty even with the edge of the head, and perhaps even out a little.  I did not nick myself, I sliced myself.  I don't want to scare anyone off this wonderful mid-aggressive razor, it shaves like a champ.  Just a word of caution with the blade loading - I get a beautiful shave in 2 passes and it is a permanent part of the rotation for me.

3 203
 07-14-2017, 08:59 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A very interesting pass around...

49 1,996
 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM
User Info
The first leg is underway. The SE-G has landed!

[Image: AaTuJF1.jpg]

[Image: dCiMneI.jpg]

[Image: CzuLzPz.jpg]

[Image: b5oPFNO.jpg]

[Image: KQKqpL8.jpg]

With the razor in hand I can now fully understand how the blade is secured and why no blade stops are necessary. Rather than blade stops, the head is designed with a spine stop. I still need to experiment with the Feather blade since there is no spine. I presume that the setscrew will hold the blade in place. With the GEM though, there is practically no wiggle room front to back so no significant blade exposure issues like I was concerned with initially.

I will update on this thread with my experience over the next week. First shave will be in the morning.

David1201, a PM is coming your way shortly.

Thanks again Phil & ShaveNook!

31 8,057
 07-14-2017, 12:05 PM
User Info
If this pass around is still open I wouldn't mind giving it go.

2 62
 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-14-2017, 12:05 PM)Bladeruner Wrote: If this pass around is still open I wouldn't mind giving it go.

Sounds great Joe...I will add you to the list.

46 18,356
 07-14-2017, 12:54 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Those are great pictures Brian!

8 1,363
 07-14-2017, 01:03 PM
User Info
Much appreciated Shawn!

31 8,057
 07-14-2017, 01:17 PM
User Info
Yes, those are excellent pictures Brian.

50 6,089
 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-14-2017, 01:17 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Yes, those are excellent pictures Brian.

+3 -they really show great detail. Thank you Brian.

46 18,356
 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM
User Info
Y'all flatter me Ricardo & Phil. Simple camera app on my iPhone that has a macro function and some sunlight is all it took.

31 8,057
 07-15-2017, 06:53 AM
User Info
[Image: xAhfA2H.jpg]

• Rocnel SE-G •
• GEM PTFE (1) •
• Plisson synth •
• Barrister's Reserve Cool •

While I don't find this razor easy on the eyes, I must admit that it is a workhorse. The SE-G easily wiped away 3 days of growth in 2 passes plus some minor touch-ups; no nicks or weepers. There was some very minor irritation which most likely was the result of my tinkering with the angles.

To my eyes the razor looks unbalanced. Surprisingly though, it felt quite comfortable in use. It was easy to find the best angle and maintain it all along my face & neck. Keeping the head of the razor on my skin is what worked best for me. As soon as I would drop the handle and raise the head off my skin I would start to feel the blade edge much more.

I would call the shave smooth but with some aggressive feel. Bringing the head of the razor off of the skin greatly amps up the harshness of the shave. With the head flat you can still feel the blade some, but the cutting action is much smoother. While I'm not a fan of having the spine of the blade exposed, I think there is a benefit to it. The head of the razor is smaller so there is less metal to drag across your skin. Perhaps this aids in the smoothness of the shave.

I now look forward to seeing how this mid-aggressive razor performs on back to back days. It's clear how well it does on a lot of growth so I hope it remains efficient yet gentle enough to be a daily driver. Not as aggressive as an OCMM, but more so than the Clog Pruf. It is not a completely quiet shaver, nor is it a singer. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised.

31 8,057
 07-15-2017, 07:09 AM
User Info
(07-15-2017, 06:53 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
[Image: xAhfA2H.jpg]

• Rocnel SE-G •
• GEM PTFE (1) •
• Plisson synth •
• Barrister's Reserve Cool •

While I don't find this razor easy on the eyes, I must admit that it is a workhorse. The SE-G easily wiped away 3 days of growth in 2 passes plus some minor touch-ups; no nicks or weepers. There was some very minor irritation which most likely was the result of my tinkering with the angles.

To my eyes the razor looks unbalanced. Surprisingly though, it felt quite comfortable in use. It was easy to find the best angle and maintain it all along my face & neck. Keeping the head of the razor on my skin is what worked best for me. As soon as I would drop the handle and raise the head off my skin I would start to feel the blade edge much more.

I would call the shave smooth but with some aggressive feel. Bringing the head of the razor off of the skin greatly amps up the harshness of the shave. With the head flat you can still feel the blade some, but the cutting action is much smoother. While I'm not a fan of having the spine of the blade exposed, I think there is a benefit to it. The head of the razor is smaller so there is less metal to drag across your skin. Perhaps this aids in the smoothness of the shave.

I now look forward to seeing how this mid-aggressive razor performs on back to back days. It's clear how well it does on a lot of growth so I hope it remains efficient yet gentle enough to be a daily driver. Not as aggressive as an OCMM, but more so than the Clog Pruf. It is not a completely quiet shaver, nor is it a singer. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Excellent write up Clap ....... Now I'm salivating... Babeando

1 121
 07-15-2017, 11:27 AM
User Info
Thank you, keep them reports coming.

0 283
 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM
User Info
This morning's shave was not as comfortable. I think the aggression of this razor may be a bit too much for me to use as a daily driver. However, for multiple days of growth it was quite nice. I may skip shaving tomorrow and see how it does on Tuesday.

31 8,057