07-11-2017, 04:47 PM
User Info
I thought I had just purchased one of my best brushes ever: a Rooney Heritage Collection Beehive Super Badger. It was perfect. Absolutely loved using it.

Sadly, in less than a month, I've gone from losing 2 or 3 hairs per shave to ~40 per shave. I had to stop using it because my razor got clogged up with hairs and I had to rinse it constantly. Even then, an aggressive rinse wasn't enough so I had to pick them out.

I just wrote to the mail order shop where I purchased it, and they said "no problem, return to us and we'll replace it." (they'll pay the shipping for the replacement, but I guess I have to pay the shipping to return the defective one)

But, I'm wondering, will the next one be just the same. Should I upgrade to their Stubby 3? Could it be better?

Anyone else have problems with the current Rooney brushes?

I'd really like to stick with getting a Rooney. I don't have one in my small collection, and really would enjoy having one.

1 417
 07-11-2017, 05:18 PM
  • Puma
User Info
(07-11-2017, 04:47 PM)David Wrote: I thought I had just purchased one of my best brushes ever:  a Rooney Heritage Collection Beehive Super Badger.  It was perfect.  Absolutely loved using it.

Sadly, in less than a month, I've gone from losing 2 or 3 hairs per shave to ~40 per shave.  I had to stop using it because my razor got clogged up with hairs and I had to rinse it constantly.  Even then, an aggressive rinse wasn't enough so I had to pick them out.

I just wrote to the mail order shop where I purchased it, and they said "no problem, return to us and we'll replace it."  (they'll pay the shipping for the replacement, but I guess I have to pay the shipping to return the defective one)

But, I'm wondering, will the next one be just the same.  Should I upgrade to their Stubby 3?  Could it be better?

Anyone else have problems with the current Rooney brushes?

I'd really like to stick with getting a Rooney.  I don't have one in my small collection, and really would enjoy having one.

I don't have any experience with Rooney's. I've been looking at them, but I did a lot of research on forums like this one and found that they are known to have shedding problems, especially in the last four or five years. I trust the guys on here and they convinced me to seek out different brushes. I have a Simpson Chubby 2 Best, Simpson Commodore x3 best, Thater 4125/1 super fan 2 band, and a couple of Maggard 24mm synths. The Thater 4125 is my favorite out of the bunch, but I just bought a Shavemac D01 set in a LoveYourShave handle from one of the fine gents on this forum, so competition is on the way. If I were you, I would take a refund and get a 4125. There are a couple for sale on the selling and trading forum on here, as well as a Thater 4376, which may be a small step down from the 4125, but it looks really nice.

3 275
 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM
User Info
If you research the various shaving forums, you'll find a number of reports in the last several years of current Rooneys shedding in disproportionate numbers.  However, I don't know if some models are more prone to this than others.

51 6,436
 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Send it back. Insist on a replacement.

0 1,846
 07-11-2017, 07:26 PM
User Info
Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I cannot speak as to the current status of Rooney, but my experience in the past is that all of my Rooney and M&F brushes were solid, and none shed after the break-in period.

69 2,195
 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
User Info
Sadly Rooney has lost some of its shine. I have an old Stubby 3 which I believe was from the better years and perhaps is a Lee Sabini knot. I've heard many of the same complaints of late, shedding, inconsistent knot characteristics within the same hair type. Shame, really.

0 119
 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM
User Info
I just received word that the Rooney Heritage Collection Beehive Super Badger is discontinued.  So, I'll need to choose another one, or they offered a full refund.  I was thinking of the their Stubby 3, but now I'm not so sure I want a Rooney.

Perhaps I should get another Thater...

1 417
 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM
User Info
I'd go for the refund and get a Simpson, Shavemac or Thater. I still have a Rooney Heritage from the Lee Sabini days and hasn't shed the first hair. I had a few Finests but sold them like a darn fool. Anyway, sorry about the brush going south on you.

7 237
 07-14-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
So, I sent the brush back to the company, and it arrived today.  They advised me: "There have been a few issues with the Rooney brushes. To avoid this issue in the future, we would recommend selecting another brand, such as one H.L. Thater."

I'm taking the advice.  Just ordered a 49125 Series Silvertip with Two-Tone Handle, Size 4.  They credited me for the Rooney, and I had a little difference to pay.

30mm, so should be perfect for doing the dome. 

Can't wait for it to arrive.  But, I have to confess, I really did want a Rooney in my collection.  Ahh, if only we could turn back the hands of time.  I would have loved one of the great Rooneys from long, long ago.

1 417
 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM
User Info
You're fortunate to have dealt with a good vendor who handled the issue well.  I recall reading about another vendor who stopped carrying current Rooneys due to the shedding problem.  Thater is an excellent choice.

51 6,436
 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM
  • Puma
User Info
(07-14-2017, 08:56 AM)David Wrote: So, I sent the brush back to the company, and it arrived today.  They advised me: "There have been a few issues with the Rooney brushes. To avoid this issue in the future, we would recommend selecting another brand, such as one H.L. Thater."

I'm taking the advice.  Just ordered a 49125 Series Silvertip with Two-Tone Handle, Size 4.  They credited me for the Rooney, and I had a little difference to pay.

Can't wait for it to arrive.  But, I have to confess, I really did want a Rooney in my collection.  Ahh, if only we could turn back the hands of time.  I would have loved one of the great Rooneys from long, long ago.

Nice choice. If it is anything like my 4125, and I am sure it will be as the two models are very similar, that 30 will seem even bigger. Mine is a size 1, listed at 24mm, but it looks bigger than my Chubby 2 which I think is listed at 27mm. I guess the Thater's loft lets it bloom out more. It also has nice density. Better than the 4292.

3 275
 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
User Info
(07-14-2017, 09:13 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You're fortunate to have dealt with a good vendor who handled the issue well.  

Fendrihan.  Good folks.

1 417
 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
(07-14-2017, 08:56 AM)David Wrote: So, I sent the brush back to the company, and it arrived today.  They advised me: "There have been a few issues with the Rooney brushes. To avoid this issue in the future, we would recommend selecting another brand, such as one H.L. Thater."

Wordsworth said it so well:  ... nothing can bring back the hour Of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower.

1 417
 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM
User Info
Too bad I can't get a Paladin.  I'm in Canada, and I've heard they can't ship to Canada because of a permit issue.  

Anyone know a way around that (if it indeed is the case)?

1 417
 07-14-2017, 10:35 AM
User Info
(07-14-2017, 10:26 AM)David Wrote: Too bad I can't get a Paladin.  I'm in Canada, and I've heard they can't ship to Canada because of a permit issue.  

Use a forwarding address service. They can probably send the brush to the company US based address and then have it forwarded to you.

82 1,374
 07-14-2017, 01:31 PM
  • Puma
User Info
(07-14-2017, 10:14 AM)David Wrote:

Wordsworth said it so well:  ... nothing can bring back the hour Of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower.
Clap

3 275
 07-14-2017, 01:34 PM
  • Puma
User Info
(07-14-2017, 10:26 AM)David Wrote: Too bad I can't get a Paladin.  I'm in Canada, and I've heard they can't ship to Canada because of a permit issue.  

One of your pals in the U.S. could order it for you and then ship it up to you, if you feel it is worth the extra shipping. My question is, are there any Paladins right now? Their website shows everything out of stock. You could also keep your eye on the B/S/T listings. I've seen a few recently.

3 275
 07-14-2017, 01:54 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Several years ago I bought a Rooney Heritage Emillion 1 from Fendrihan, so far so good.  It's an outstanding brush.  I've dealt with Fendrihan for years and found their after-sales service to be excellent.  I hope I won't have to test it with a shedding Rooney.

7 936
 07-18-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
Rooney was pretty good when I first got into this hobby. I didn't think they were any better than a comparable Simpson, but they were on par but slightly different. It really is a shame that they've dropped in quality like this but I don't want you to think you've somehow missed out on the Gold Standard of brushes. There are many amazing brush makers out there that hit on all cylinders.

Theaters, by the way, are absolutely outstanding. They're not going to be as dense as a Rooney, though. Softer at the tips though.

3 96
 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Sent you a PM about Paladin

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,523