07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
Has anybody heard about The Varlet and Aldo Siu?  Seems like there is nothing here.

0 253
 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM
User Info
Follow his website , his vendor page here , or email him directly.

60 1,529
 07-12-2017, 04:04 PM
User Info
He tweeted yesterday I believe it was that he is no longer on the TSN list of vendors.

3 920
 07-12-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Regrettably, The Varlet is no longer a TSN Vendor.

On September 19, 2015, I got on the waiting list for a Ranger.  Aldo confirmed that I was on the waiting list and was number 49.  I have heard nothing since.  It's been disappointing, because the concept of The Varlet was very exciting.

50 6,089
 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM
User Info
I was unaware that Aldo was no longer a TSN vendor. Are any of the newer brushes even being distributed to anyone's knowledge?

60 1,529
 07-12-2017, 05:08 PM
User Info
(07-12-2017, 02:37 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Follow his website , his vendor page here , or email him directly.

Actually, I did before I wrote this thread.  In addition, I have been waiting for well over a year and a half for him to get back to me within 6 months that he said he would.  It appears that there are things that happen and thing that don't don't.  I am really interested in hearing from someone who has actually received a brush from him in say the last 90 days.

0 253
 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-12-2017, 05:08 PM)Tidepool Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 02:37 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Follow his website , his vendor page here , or email him directly.

Actually, I did before I wrote this thread.  In addition, I have been waiting for well over a year and a half for him to get back to me within 6 months that he said he would.  It appears that there are things that happen and thing that don't don't.  I am really interested in hearing from someone who has actually received a brush from him in say the last 90 days.

I too have been waiting for nearly two years for a Ranger brush. After being told I was on the wait list, there have been zero updates. It is a good thing that I have several brushes.

46 18,355
 07-12-2017, 05:38 PM
User Info
My experience has been the same.  I negotiated to take someone else's spot on the waitlist and I think it was a year and a half ago.  For a while I tried intermittently to contact him about when I could expect a brush.  But after I began reading about some people getting the new knots and then the new line of brushes and I had no update on whether I could ever expect a brush, I just gave up hope.  That was 11 months ago.

11 973
 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
It'll be 2 years of waiting for me this September. Someone else can have it if my name ever comes up.

The company seemed like a great idea, just cannot seem to find a way to execute.

55 923
 07-13-2017, 06:19 AM
User Info
Aldo posted a couple of very nice beehives on his instagram account yesterday that were supposed to be for ones on the waiting list.

3 920
 07-13-2017, 07:35 AM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 06:19 AM)Oasisdave Wrote: Aldo posted a couple of very nice beehives on his instagram account yesterday that were supposed to be for ones on the waiting list.

It would be nice and would help his credibly to post some where this list of names so people who have been waiting for years to know if they are next at bat.  In addition, not everybody is a member of Instagram.  People are willing to wait if there is actually a brush on the horizon; but people are not willing to be had.

0 253
 07-13-2017, 08:27 AM
User Info
There have been a lot of broken promises, missed projections and odd business decisions. Who creates a new line of brushes when they are 2 years behind on existing orders?

0 308
 07-13-2017, 09:03 AM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 06:19 AM)Oasisdave Wrote: Aldo posted a couple of very nice beehives on his instagram account yesterday that were supposed to be for ones on the waiting list.

I was told I was up next batch for beehives a year ago and have seen a few batches go out.

This was after receiving an email while on a family vaca for the weekend and Aldo gave me a whopping 24 hours to respond before he moved on to the next person and removed me from the list, this took place fall 2015. I emailed him on the Monday when I returned and he put me on the beehive list. So a year and a half on the beehive list and a year ago I was told I was next up. I dont think he should be a vendor for this forum anymore either.

I was really interested in one of the hand tied knots but I suppose that one may never happen

28 779
 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(07-13-2017, 09:03 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote:

I was told I was up next batch for beehives a year ago and have seen a few batches go out.

This was after receiving an email while on a family vaca for the weekend and Aldo gave me a whopping 24 hours to respond before he moved on to the next person and removed me from the list, this took place fall 2015. I emailed him on the Monday when I returned and he put me on the beehive list. So a year and a half on the beehive list and a year ago I was told I was next up. I dont think he should be a vendor for this forum anymore either.

I was really interested in one of the hand tied knots but I suppose that one may never happen
That was Aldo's choice.

59 4,496
 07-13-2017, 10:10 AM
User Info
We, both as a group and as individuals, have SO MANY CHOICES available to us today as wet shavers.
To me, it is a lot about attitude and the 'approach' we take regarding those many choices.

ONE of those choices is in-regards to whom we purchase items or products from.
Also, since we have such a vast array to chose from, I find that (for ME) I have not only learned to be patient, but SELECTIVE.

It took a while, but I have a good idea of what items or products work for ME, whether it be soft ware, brushes (I like variety, but also certain 'qualities'), or razors (pretty much
limited by my beard type). Even so, there are LOTS of choices.
The other choice, is WHOM I purchase from. There are only a few 'artisans' (using that as a very general term) that I will not purchase from, no matter how good the product is
(or CAN be, as sometimes consistency is an issue). Aldo does NOT fall into that 'category', at least for me.

Part of being patient, as well as selective, is waiting until a 'opportunity' presents itself. Of course, you DO have to do certain things in order for those opportunities to present itself.
Like checking the BST listings, or sending an email (without expecting anything, even a response).
It helps to have a 'short list' of items you REALLY desire, so when the opportunity presents itself, you are ready to 'proceed' with a purchase and have funds available.

48 414
 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 09:13 AM)eengler Wrote:

That was Aldo's choice.
Of course it was Aldos choice.  I am not disputing that.  But the other half of that of that argument is that the people who have money to spend can make their choice of either to be upset or, spend their money elsewhere.

0 253
 07-13-2017, 11:08 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(07-13-2017, 10:31 AM)Tidepool Wrote:
(07-13-2017, 09:03 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I was told I was up next batch for beehives a year ago and have seen a few batches go out.

That was Aldo's choice.
Of course it was Aldos choice.  I am not disputing that.  But the other half of that of that argument is that the people who have money to spend can make their choice of either to be upset or, spend their money elsewhere.
I'm only clarifying the fact Aldo chose not to continue his support at TSN as a vendor/artisan.

I personally signed up for a Ranger in 2015 but have moved on long ago...

59 4,496
 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I guess I was luckier than most. I got my Varlet in August of 2015, but sold it shortly after as the brush IMO, was just meh. I mean it looked pretty, but for the money a Rudy Vey with a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip was better, and the handle didn't suit me anyhow.

I think the idea of an American Made, hand tied knot is fantastic, but if memory serves me there is always Declaration Brushes that offers this service, although I don't currently own one of those.

I can certainly see the fanaticism for Varlet, though. They were super pretty in pictures.

Just like any artisan who cannot meet demand, they should just accept it and let people know. I'll wait a while, but two years with no updates tell me they are insolvent.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,510
 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM
User Info

That was Aldo's choice.

My bad, I'm not completely up to date with Aldo. I put it in the back of my mind and each time a batch of something comes out I get a bit riled up. Just be straightforward with ppl Aldo, thats my only issue.

28 779
 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
My goal is both a Varlet and Wilborg brush.  Neither seems to have increased production recently or excellent computer (email) skills.  I just plan to check their websites every so often for updates.  I vaguely recall seeing one brush from each in the last few months.

No updates implies 1) money issues  2) health issues  3) mental health issues  4) made CEO in his day job  5) sailing around the world or retired and moved to Florida.  I am actually hoping for #4 or #5.

4 392