07-27-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
Agreed. .
Very good  looking handle

That knot certainly opened  up

21 272
 07-27-2017, 08:15 PM
User Info
I'm hoping to grab a Nebula Washington. Already have a Franklin from the first batch.

23 632
 08-10-2017, 01:39 AM
User Info
(07-24-2017, 07:54 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Here's mine after three uses. 

[Image: uprNGcU.jpg]

Is thy the B3 knot? Looking a getting either a B3 or an Elite Manchurian. Have heard the B3 is a little scrubby. How is yours breaking in now?

0 9
 08-10-2017, 10:54 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
These are great knots. The handles are mostly plain (few exceptions lately).
Easier way to obtain is to ask for knotting service, i.e. a knot set in a handle you provide.
Below is my "Jefferson" knot set in a Elite Razor Thuya handle.

[Image: C2QWRcy.jpg]

37 1,862
 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 10:54 AM)German Wrote: These are great knots. The handles are mostly plain (few exceptions lately).
Easier way to obtain is to ask for knotting service, i.e. a knot set in a handle you provide.

Georg, combining one of these knots with a Bob Quinn handle is definitely the way to go!

50 6,081
 08-11-2017, 03:03 AM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 10:54 AM)German Wrote: These are great knots. The handles are mostly plain (few exceptions lately).

Yea I got a handle on the way from dogwood handcrafts. Should be here pretty soon. Trying to decide what knot to put in it. Elite and do it myself or send it to Declaration. Can't decide

0 9
 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
The declaration knots are more dense. Both have great face feel. Matter of personal preference.

37 1,862
 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 01:39 AM)Shavezilla Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 07:54 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Here's mine after three uses. 

[Image: uprNGcU.jpg]

Is thy the B3 knot? Looking a getting either a B3 or an Elite Manchurian. Have heard the B3 is a little scrubby. How is yours breaking in now?

Yes, B3.

Used it this morning. It's awesome. 

I like the density and face feel a lot. I think it's settled in a bit but hasn't changed much since about the 10th use. Overall it wasn't a big change from when new. I've used it about 15 times now.

It's got a little bit of scrubby feel just because of the extreme density. It's got pretty good flow through considering. That's one of the things that did noticeably improve from the first use. Now it's not a big hog and rinses easier.

It's not extreme gel tips but it will get a little crispy when dry. I make sure to rinse it well and give it a day or two at least to dry out. Not always because I have been enjoying it so much. Sometimes I use it for a few days in a row. My house is fairly constantly at 40 - 50 humidity and I leave my brush on a shelf in the open. I haven't noticed it not being dry after 24 hours. It does take longer than the other other brushes I have to get dry.

The individual hairs look thinner than other finest knots. Similar to the thinness of some silvertips. The backbone is more than it would appear to be just by looking at it. Combined with the density I have noticed that it really excels at painting strokes. It's not uncomfortable or scratchy, it's just really got nice face feel with the shape of the knot now that's it's loosened up a little bit. The first few uses it had an edgey feel that went away all but completely now. Unless I mash too much. That's true with a lot of brushes.

One thing I have noticed is that it is very manageable and doesn't bloom out right after being used. The first wash out of the box I brushed it gently across a towel and thought it bloomed very much. In regular use now it doesn't do that.

I had been trending more towards bulb shaped knots and this is very much a fan. I imagine it would feel pointy if it were more bulb shaped. 

It is exceptionally unique. I like it. I think if anyone who prefers cloud soft brushes tried one they might be less impressed. I'm not sensitive to scrub or even the tickle of a pure grade badger. So I appreciate it's combination of soft enough tips and wall of badger density. The loft is almost exactly twice the size of the knot at the handle. I like it. I think any lower and it wouldn't perform as well.

9 1,410
 08-12-2017, 05:51 AM
User Info
Wow great review. Thanks a lot. You might have made my decision for me. Btw is yours a 24 or 26 mm knot?

0 9
 08-12-2017, 05:55 AM
User Info
Awesome. Hope to get one at some point. Just haven't been lucky enough yet.

3 40
 08-26-2017, 10:54 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Nebulas just went online.
Secured a Jefferson knot to keep my existing one in an Elite Razor handle company. Biggrin

[Image: vgdOfxG.jpg]

37 1,862
 08-26-2017, 10:58 AM
User Info
(08-26-2017, 10:54 AM)German Wrote: Nebulas just went online.

Thanks for the heads up.

16 152
 08-31-2017, 11:22 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Nebula Jefferson arrived.

28/49mm

Very nice knot and great looking handle. Yet to be tested out regarding comparison to the B2 knot I already own.

[Image: 1V6F8jv.jpg]

[Image: llZ68l8.jpg]

37 1,862
 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Hey Guys, what is so great about these brushes & what do they cost?
Curious.....

33 377
 08-31-2017, 01:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have a question. If this is inappropriate, I ask the mods to delete it. I know political discussion is not permitted and that's really cool, but I see it as a historical discussion.

Do they make a reference to the US declaration of independence? I saw they use historical names from the American history to name their brushes. Is this a bit too much?

For example, I know many artisans/ makers who use names from the Greek Mythology. This is totally fine, since they're tales in some way. But, I don't know how I'd feel if someone was using names from the Greek history of important people who played a crucial role in their field. I'd say you don't honor them that way.

49 1,996
 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(08-31-2017, 01:37 PM)nikos.a Wrote: I have a question. If this is inappropriate, I ask the mods to delete it. I know political discussion is not permitted and that's really cool, but I see it as a historical discussion.

Do they make a reference to the US declaration of independence? I saw they use historical names from the American history to name their brushes. Is this a bit too much?

For example, I know many artisans/ makers who use names from the Greek Mythology. This is totally fine, since they're tales in some way. But, I don't know how I'd feel if someone was using names from the Greek history of important people who played a crucial role in their field. I'd say you don't honor them that way.

Yes, the names are in reference to the Declaration of Independence and their authors. Really more a marketing story. You can learn more when you google it on their webpage.

37 1,862
 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(08-31-2017, 01:15 PM)vpayne Wrote: Hey Guys, what is so great about these brushes & what do they cost?
Curious.....

The brushes are hand tied by the maker in the U.S. rather than delivered as ready to implant knots. I would say that is what puts them apart as far as the making is concerned. The knots are dense, more dense than other offerings and display soft tips and good backbone - in line with other good 2 Band offerings.

I would not say they are "extra special" compared to let's say Paladin or Elite Manchurian, but they are a competitive offering and short in supply which of course creates additiona interest.

I have two and like them a lot but I like variety.

Regarding cost and options you need to google and look up the page (I believe TSN prefer not to web link).

37 1,862
 08-31-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
I agree.

The are different than other brushes mostly in density. They're also being hand tied. The handles are hand made too. All by one person.

9 1,410
 08-31-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
Congratulations on your second Declaration Brushworks Georg.  I've never had one, so I'm limited to the pictures I've been seeing since these first came out.  It seems to me that the quality of their handles and knots has continued to improve.   I was pleased when The Varlet announced it would produce brushes where both knot and handle were made in America.  I don't know what will happen with The Varlet, but now I'm pleased Declaration Brushworks is succeeding.  I hope they can increase production and get past these sporadic micro releases.  I would be delighted to see them offering bulb shaped knots.

50 6,081
 08-31-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
Yes!

Ricardo, I feel like a bulb in this hair and density could be a Goldilocks kind of brush for me.

9 1,410