08-31-2017, 02:54 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(08-31-2017, 02:33 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Congratulations on your second Declaration Brushworks Georg.  I've never had one, so I'm limited to the pictures I've been seeing since these first came out.  It seems to me that the quality of their handles and knots has continued to improve.   I was pleased when The Varlet announced it would produce brushes where both knot and handle were made in America.  I don't know what will happen with The Varlet, but now I'm pleased Declaration Brushworks is succeeding.  I hope they can increase production and get past these sporadic micro releases.  I would be delighted to see them offering bulb shaped knots.

Thanks.
The Varlet - sad story... still waiting for my Beehive ...

Best way to obtain a DB knot is by providing a handle and get it set, as the releases are quite spotty. You can sign up for notifications of a brush once available. I was sitting in front of my Mac when the email hit. Only reason I was fast enough to obtain the Nebula Jefferson pictured above.

38 1,872
 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
I signed up for the nebula franklin, didn't get the email and one day I was just looking at the site and saw that one was available and ordered it.

0 191
 09-13-2017, 03:49 AM
User Info
(09-01-2017, 09:07 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: I signed up for the nebula franklin, didn't get the email and one day I was just looking at the site and saw that one was available and ordered it.

I wish I was that lucky! I think unless someone is in a bind and selling theirs, it's highly unlikely to nab one of these. Probably easier just to get the knotting or re-knotting service I feel like.

7 102
 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

I know you send the handle but how is it established what size knot he puts in them? I see where it looks like it says 24mm, but is that the only knot size for the service?
Can you request a bigger knot? (I'm assuming that comes at an added cost on top of the knotting service fee and/or if it's determined it will fit in the handle as is...?)

7 102
 09-14-2017, 06:53 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 05:39 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

I know you send the handle but how is it established what size knot he puts in them? I see where it looks like it says 24mm, but is that the only knot size for the service?
Can you request a bigger knot? (I'm assuming that comes at an added cost on top of the knotting service fee and/or if it's determined it will fit in the handle as is...?)

Email Scott and tell him about your handle before you order the re-knot.  He is really good about sussing out the actual size needed, and if you send him the handle he will measure it beforehand and make sure that his knot will fit.  I sent him a 24mm Rooney 1/2, and he had to bore it out slightly to make it work, which he did for no extra charge.   He will probably be able to make it work no matter what size.  I think you can get a bigger knot.  The knot I got (B1) is fantastic, and well worth it.  He's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

11 972
 09-14-2017, 07:22 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(09-14-2017, 06:53 AM)surfshaver Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 05:39 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

Email Scott and tell him about your handle before you order the re-knot.  He is really good about sussing out the actual size needed, and if you send him the handle he will measure it beforehand and make sure that his knot will fit.  I sent him a 24mm Rooney 1/2, and he had to bore it out slightly to make it work, which he did for no extra charge.   He will probably be able to make it work no matter what size.  I think you can get a bigger knot.  The knot I got (B1) is fantastic, and well worth it.  He's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Confirmed. He will place bigger knots. I got a Jefferson 27mm knot for a handle I had Bob Quinn make for me.

38 1,872
 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 07:22 AM)German Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 06:53 AM)surfshaver Wrote:

Confirmed. He will place bigger knots. I got a Jefferson 27mm knot for a handle I had Bob Quinn make for me.
Thank you, gents. That information is very helpful!

7 102
 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM
User Info
You should email him, and on the website there's actually a pull down or clickable menu for selecting other sizes on the knot and reknot pages.

10 1,435
 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
It's not immediately apparent is what I meant.

Click on the text  "24mm"  on the page and other options come up.

The website formatting is a little hard to see.

10 1,435
 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 08:08 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: It's not immediately apparent is what I meant.

Click on the text  "24mm"  on the page and other options come up.

The website formatting is a little hard to see.

Oh man, yeah you're right. Definitely would have never known. Thank you for the info!

7 102
 09-17-2017, 01:10 PM
User Info
Promised some photos of the brush I picked up a while back. B3 Jefferson in the Nebula handle. This is it right out of the box. [Image: HUIfoI6.jpg][Image: in1uhto.jpg]

0 48
 09-18-2017, 05:20 AM
User Info
I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

7 102
 09-20-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 05:20 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love it!

0 48
 09-22-2017, 04:24 AM
User Info
(09-20-2017, 06:43 PM)Ajaccio Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 05:20 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love it!

Here it is...can’t wait to give it a go this weekend.
[Image: 5e44b694c1862d94762f00693192b311.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 102
 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM
User Info
I had a talk with Scott earlier this month about his knotting service as I was on the WW waitlist. He was quick to reply with the optimal hole diameter and depth he prefers for each size knot. Since he hand ties them per handle he also said he would wait until my handle arrived and he tied the knot before sending an invoice. He recieved the handle 3 days ago and said it would be done by tomorrow at the latest. Pretty excited. It has been a long wait between the WW list, shipping to Scott, having the knot made and then having it shipped to me. Hopefully it will be worth it.

0 2
 09-26-2017, 01:59 AM
User Info
(09-25-2017, 09:08 PM)GR3EN Wrote: I had a talk with Scott earlier this month about his knotting service as I was on the WW waitlist. He was quick to reply with the optimal hole diameter and depth he prefers for each size knot. Since he hand ties them per handle he also said he would wait until my handle arrived and he tied the knot before sending an invoice. He recieved the handle 3 days ago and said it would be done by tomorrow at the latest. Pretty excited. It has been a long wait between the WW list, shipping to Scott, having the knot made and then having it shipped to me. Hopefully it will be worth it.

It's nice to see you posting GR3EN.  I expect you're going to be getting a special brush worth the effort and time you have into it.  Please post pictures when the brush arrives.

50 6,264
 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM
User Info
I just used my Jefferson Nebula brush again this morning.  Very nice backbone, and just scrubby enough.  By the way,  I will not do business with Lear Jets.

6 198
 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
I thought I share some observations regarding batch 2 (B2) vs batch 3 (B3) hair.

Below the Bob Queen Thuya handle features a B2 Jefferson knot, while the Nebula Jefferson is a B3.

While there is no visible difference, the feel of the knots is different both dry and wet. Batch 2 has a silky feel to it when dry (B3 does not). When wet B2 is cloud soft on the face, while B3 has noticeably more scrub. There is no scritch in either of them though. It is a different feel though especially considering how dense these knots are. They open up post 10 shaves which significantly improves flow through and flex.

I have not made up my mind on which one I prefer. I guess it depends on the day. If I seek a "cloud" soft experience, I grab the B2. On other days, when I prefer a bit more scrub, I use the B3.

[Image: RCJrwu2.jpg]

38 1,872
 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 12:12 PM)German Wrote: I thought I share some observations regarding batch 2 (B2) vs batch 3 (B3) hair.

Below the Bob Queen Thuya handle features a B2 Jefferson knot, while the Nebula Jefferson is a B3.

While there is no visible difference, the feel of the knots is different both dry and wet. Batch 2 has a silky feel to it when dry (B3 does not). When wet B2 is cloud soft on the face, while B3 has noticeably more scrub. There is no scritch in either of them though. It is a different feel though especially considering how dense these knots are. They open up post 10 shaves which significantly improves flow through and flex.

I have not made up my mind on which one I prefer. I guess it depends on the day. If I seek a "cloud" soft experience, I grab the B2. On other days, when I prefer a bit more scrub, I use the B3.

[Image: RCJrwu2.jpg]

I’ve always seen those that have it say find B2 if you can.

I can only attest to B3 as I just recently acquired one and I find it to be phenomenal and far and away the best feel of any natural hair brush I’ve ever used. The density is incredible and yet it still seems to have the perfect amount of backbone. I concur that there’s really no scritch with the B3 but it does scrub a tad. I found this to be very much pillow like when wet so I can only imagine how much softer it is with the B2. The bloomed/splayed knot just looks amazing as well.

I feel really fortunate to have one of these brushes with these knots. [Image: c50449b107bb244358eb1f7e50567fb9.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 102
 09-27-2017, 03:04 PM
User Info
Sounds like I wouldn't like the B2 over the B3.

Glad I got one when I did then.

People that say badger brushes don't break in should buy one of these. I certainly noticed a big difference between first shave and tenth shave on mine. Same with my Simpsons Manchurian but that took much more than ten shaves. Still waiting for my D01 to hit its stride...

Great looking brushes guys.

10 1,435