08-31-2017, 02:54 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(08-31-2017, 02:33 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Congratulations on your second Declaration Brushworks Georg.  I've never had one, so I'm limited to the pictures I've been seeing since these first came out.  It seems to me that the quality of their handles and knots has continued to improve.   I was pleased when The Varlet announced it would produce brushes where both knot and handle were made in America.  I don't know what will happen with The Varlet, but now I'm pleased Declaration Brushworks is succeeding.  I hope they can increase production and get past these sporadic micro releases.  I would be delighted to see them offering bulb shaped knots.

Thanks.
The Varlet - sad story... still waiting for my Beehive ...

Best way to obtain a DB knot is by providing a handle and get it set, as the releases are quite spotty. You can sign up for notifications of a brush once available. I was sitting in front of my Mac when the email hit. Only reason I was fast enough to obtain the Nebula Jefferson pictured above.

37 1,844
 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
I signed up for the nebula franklin, didn't get the email and one day I was just looking at the site and saw that one was available and ordered it.

0 162
 09-13-2017, 03:49 AM
User Info
(09-01-2017, 09:07 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: I signed up for the nebula franklin, didn't get the email and one day I was just looking at the site and saw that one was available and ordered it.

I wish I was that lucky! I think unless someone is in a bind and selling theirs, it's highly unlikely to nab one of these. Probably easier just to get the knotting or re-knotting service I feel like.

1 68
 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

I know you send the handle but how is it established what size knot he puts in them? I see where it looks like it says 24mm, but is that the only knot size for the service?
Can you request a bigger knot? (I'm assuming that comes at an added cost on top of the knotting service fee and/or if it's determined it will fit in the handle as is...?)

1 68
 09-14-2017, 06:53 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 05:39 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

I know you send the handle but how is it established what size knot he puts in them? I see where it looks like it says 24mm, but is that the only knot size for the service?
Can you request a bigger knot? (I'm assuming that comes at an added cost on top of the knotting service fee and/or if it's determined it will fit in the handle as is...?)

Email Scott and tell him about your handle before you order the re-knot.  He is really good about sussing out the actual size needed, and if you send him the handle he will measure it beforehand and make sure that his knot will fit.  I sent him a 24mm Rooney 1/2, and he had to bore it out slightly to make it work, which he did for no extra charge.   He will probably be able to make it work no matter what size.  I think you can get a bigger knot.  The knot I got (B1) is fantastic, and well worth it.  He's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

11 973
 09-14-2017, 07:22 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(09-14-2017, 06:53 AM)surfshaver Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 05:39 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I have a lot of questions for anyone that has had the knotting service done.

Email Scott and tell him about your handle before you order the re-knot.  He is really good about sussing out the actual size needed, and if you send him the handle he will measure it beforehand and make sure that his knot will fit.  I sent him a 24mm Rooney 1/2, and he had to bore it out slightly to make it work, which he did for no extra charge.   He will probably be able to make it work no matter what size.  I think you can get a bigger knot.  The knot I got (B1) is fantastic, and well worth it.  He's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Confirmed. He will place bigger knots. I got a Jefferson 27mm knot for a handle I had Bob Quinn make for me.

37 1,844
 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 07:22 AM)German Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 06:53 AM)surfshaver Wrote:

Confirmed. He will place bigger knots. I got a Jefferson 27mm knot for a handle I had Bob Quinn make for me.
Thank you, gents. That information is very helpful!

1 68
 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM
User Info
You should email him, and on the website there's actually a pull down or clickable menu for selecting other sizes on the knot and reknot pages.

7 1,361
 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
It's not immediately apparent is what I meant.

Click on the text  "24mm"  on the page and other options come up.

The website formatting is a little hard to see.

7 1,361
 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 08:08 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: It's not immediately apparent is what I meant.

Click on the text  "24mm"  on the page and other options come up.

The website formatting is a little hard to see.

Oh man, yeah you're right. Definitely would have never known. Thank you for the info!

1 68
 09-17-2017, 01:10 PM
User Info
Promised some photos of the brush I picked up a while back. B3 Jefferson in the Nebula handle. This is it right out of the box. [Image: HUIfoI6.jpg][Image: in1uhto.jpg]

0 21
 09-18-2017, 05:20 AM
User Info
I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

1 68
 09-20-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 05:20 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love it!

0 21
 Yesterday, 04:24 AM
User Info
(09-20-2017, 06:43 PM)Ajaccio Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 05:20 AM)_i2oss Wrote: I've managed to buy a Hucklaration B3 in Tortoise from a kind gent this morning! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love it!

Here it is...can’t wait to give it a go this weekend.
[Image: 5e44b694c1862d94762f00693192b311.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 68