07-13-2017, 04:17 PM
  • Puma
User Info
I tried twice in the past two months to get a B1 Standard. First I got a new one that I returned because the safety bar was bent. Then I bid on one on ebay and the seller blocked me from increasing my bid. I have my suspicions on that event, but I will keep them to myself at this time since Ikon's customer service was good and the return was handled very quickly and smoothly. So I have finally landed the Standard. This time it was just the head, which was fine since I have some good handles. I have always felt that this razor is close to being a stainless version of Ikon's aluminum Tech. They look similar, but there are differences in the appearance: the black coating obviously, the way the cap fits with a more smooth and seamless appearance on the standard, and the Tech's posts that come through the plate like a Gillette old type while the Standard has a slot in the plate like a new. What the two share is a lot of blade exposure. This will be aggressive and I will need to be on my game. Let me thank my man @Safelysimpson.[Image: D4WMC0i.jpg][Image: mDb8IGn.jpg][Image: CLFLs3B.jpg]

3 275
 07-18-2017, 12:15 AM
User Info
I bought a fully B1 coated Standard with a Bulldog handle around 2 years ago. I tried with great might to tame that beast. I failed miserably. I'm still trying to sell it.

I'm certainly no super, DE shaving guru, but I have used approximately 16 different DE razors. The iKon Standard is one of the meanest bullies on the block. I love the weight and feel of the fully stainless iKon razors, but this head has way too much for kick me....

You just unleashed the Kraken.....

0 122
 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 04:17 PM)Puma Wrote: I tried twice in the past two months to get a B1 Standard. First I got a new one that I returned because the safety bar was bent. Then I bid on one on ebay and the seller blocked me from increasing my bid. I have my suspicions on that event, but I will keep them to myself at this time since Ikon's customer service was good and the return was handled very quickly and smoothly. So I have finally landed the Standard. This time it was just the head, which was fine since I have some good handles. I have always felt that this razor is close to being a stainless version of Ikon's aluminum Tech. They look similar, but there are differences in the appearance: the black coating obviously, the way the cap fits with a more smooth and seamless appearance on the standard, and the Tech's posts that come through the plate like a Gillette old type while the Standard has a slot in the plate like a new. What the two share is a lot of blade exposure. This will be aggressive and I will need to be on my game. Let me thank my man @Safelysimpson.[Image: D4WMC0i.jpg][Image: mDb8IGn.jpg][Image: CLFLs3B.jpg]

Looking forward to your thoughts! I've never personally tried the ikon tech but it has intrigued me at times, hopefully you enjoy the shave

28 777
 07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
  • Puma
User Info
Hey Dustin. The head on the Standard I acquired from you is pristine with a flawless B1 coat. The Tech resembles the Standard when you look towards the head from in front, looking towards the blade. I now think that from the side they look quite different. Here are some shots that I grabbed online, of the Tech shown from the side. I think the Standard is prettier with the cap and base plate mating smoothly. The cap on the Tech sits up on the plate and hangs over the safety bar like a helmet. Like you, I have never used the Tech, but Ikon describes both as aggressive. I can attest that the Standard is indeed a beast. The first shave was with a new Feather blade and it was a little rough. I reserved judgment at that time and figured I just needed some practice and a better feel for the tool. The results were good, but I had some irritation. Not like a newb, but like someone who didn't have his lather right. The second shave was much better, with no irritation and even better results. I also switched handles. The ATT Kronos shown in my above photos was first. The second time I used an ATT Atlas, and I will probably stay with that when using the Standard. After the second shave I could say that I like the B1 Standard and it's a keeper. I feel like I have a nice rotation now. The ATT R2 and Timeless .95 are my blue chip razors. BBS shaves every time with no irritation. They are a little on the high side of medium aggressive and will likely get the most use. I now have the Standard as a true aggressive shaver and I think it will keep me from getting careless or lazy with my technique. I felt like I had accomplished something with that second shave. My fourth razor is all the way at the other end. The mild, yet efficient, Oristo.

[Image: zAReabZ.jpg]
[Image: qM7RjY4.jpg]

3 275
 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM
  • Puma
User Info
(07-18-2017, 12:15 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote: I bought a fully B1 coated Standard with a Bulldog handle around 2 years ago. I tried with great might to tame that beast. I failed miserably. I'm still trying to sell it.

I'm certainly no super, DE shaving guru, but I have used approximately 16 different DE razors. The iKon Standard is one of the meanest bullies on the block. I love the weight and feel of the fully stainless iKon razors, but this head has way too much for kick me....

You just unleashed the Kraken.....

There have been several guys on here and other forums who had many years of shaving experience and bought the Tech or the Standard and then sold it or gave up using it. In each case they were confident after using an aggressive razor like an R41 or Fatip.

3 275