07-17-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
With the 5 blade cartridge it wasn't a problem as the Fusion has a tiny tool on the back of the razor for that task but how do I get a DE razor head right under my nose, i cant seem to get it close all the way up (not in there Biggrin ).

Also I never can get a close shave on my upper lip (again, under the nose), I dont like having a shadow up there.

0 19
 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I get mine on the second pass shaving from right to left across the grain. Depending on the head type/size of your razor and the size of your nose you should be able to tidy it all up. Good luck!

61 4,637
 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I think it depends on the size/shape of the cap/head.
I have no problem getting under the nose with a Mühle R89, but used to struggle when using the Merkur Futur.
Also some milder razors (like vintage Gillette SS) are hard to get the correct cutting angle in the area under the nose.

62 3,012
 07-17-2017, 08:12 PM
User Info
(07-17-2017, 06:01 AM)eengler Wrote: I get mine on the second pass shaving from right to left across the grain. Depending on the head type/size of your razor and the size of your nose you should be able to tidy it all up. Good luck!

Signs011   It can be tricky. I have a goatee and shape it - including a nice line that tapers under the nose. Every razor head makes this a little different, but the XTG pass is where the magic happens.

29 1,208
 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
User Info
Solutions...

1. Keep your Fusion cart for under the nose jobs
2. Buy a Feather shavette razor for under the nose jobs 
3. Buy a straight razor for under the nose jobs

24 6,019
 07-18-2017, 03:11 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
It took me a while to figure out how to shave my moustache area and under my nose. It will get better with practice. You just have to experiment with different angles of attack. I would also suggest watching a shaving video or 2 to get some ideas of what might work for you.

3 587
 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM
User Info
This will be hard to explain, but I'll try anyway.  This is the way I do it with a DE.  

You know how you use the single blade on the back of the Fusion to get right up under the nose?  When you are doing that, the blade is almost perpendicular to your face.  I do the same thing with a DE.  

1) Move the nose out of the way to the opposite side of the side you are shaving.
2) Stick the DE right up under the nostril and gently touch the blade to the skin at a perpendicular angle.
3) Gently draw the razor downward, turning the head as you move downwards from the nostril so that you get to your usual angle as quickly as possible. 
4) Repeat on the other side. 

Works wonders.  If you are using a DE that doesn't have a ton of blade exposure, it not only works, but it works very easily.  For razors with a lot of exposure, like, for example, the Fatip, a very light and careful touch is required.  

Note that this is for the first pass only.  The second pass can be done sideways, and you can get the blade edge right up under the nostril.  But the method I've outlined above is much easier to do and won't require much practice, especially if you are already using the single blade on the back of the Fusion.  The technique is almost identical.

2 1,557
 07-18-2017, 02:24 PM
User Info
There is always the third option: Grow a mustache Tongue

3 4,679
 09-06-2017, 05:35 AM
  • Roy
User Info
(07-17-2017, 05:24 AM)jaffafa Wrote: With the 5 blade cartridge it wasn't a problem as the Fusion has a tiny tool on the back of the razor for that task but how do I get a DE razor head right under my nose, i cant seem to get it close all the way up (not in there Biggrin ).

Also I never can get a close shave on my upper lip (again, under the nose), I dont like having a shadow up there.

Hi, I had this trouble, but recently bought a Focus r48 from Connaught shaving. It uses ordinary de blades halved, and is so comfortable and you are able to shave under the nose with ease. You do need to take care and make sure the blade is seated correctly, but it may suit you.

0 22
 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-18-2017, 06:32 AM)kingfisher Wrote: 1) Move the nose out of the way to the opposite side of the side you are shaving.
2) Stick the DE right up under the nostril and gently touch the blade to the skin at a perpendicular angle.
3) Gently draw the razor downward, turning the head as you move downwards from the nostril so that you get to your usual angle as quickly as possible. 
4) Repeat on the other side.

(raising hand)  Please, sir, may I move my nose back now?  I need it to hold my eyeglasses up, and it kind of looks funny sticking out in back below my cowlick.

1 1,110
 09-06-2017, 07:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-17-2017, 05:24 AM)jaffafa Wrote: With the 5 blade cartridge it wasn't a problem as the Fusion has a tiny tool on the back of the razor for that task but how do I get a DE razor head right under my nose, i cant seem to get it close all the way up (not in there Biggrin ).

It will come to you all of a sudden. One day you'll be shaving and "boom!" you'll have it figured out. I second the advice about moving your nose to the other side. It works well.

7 2,377
 09-07-2017, 04:31 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
For me, using a DE is the easiest method to get under the nose.
All three directions. WTG XTG ATG.

I should include the disclaimer I have not used AC blades or a Straight.
But I can say I find it much more difficult (but possible with practice) with cartridge and gem to get under the nose.

62 3,012
 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM
User Info
I find that it depends a lot on the shape of the head of the razor for me. For example, I have no problems shaving under my nose with one of my Wolfmans, but most other razors, I struggle a bit.

0 25
 09-07-2017, 04:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-07-2017, 04:31 AM)Nero Wrote: For me, using a DE is the easiest method to get under the nose.

But I can say I find it much more difficult (but possible with practice) with cartridge and gem to get under the nose.

Yes. I had the exactly same experience with carts and gems under the nose. And as you, Matt, I have zero experience with AC style razors or straights. I did however try a shavette and knew immediately it wasn't for me. Have you tried an injector? They're the best single edge for me in terms of maneuverability. It's the only SE I enjoy using.

(09-07-2017, 07:25 AM)tragique Wrote: I find that it depends a lot on the shape of the head of the razor for me. For example, I have no problems shaving under my nose with one of my Wolfmans, but most other razors, I struggle a bit.

Yes, I agree. For me, head geometry is a big factor in shave quality when discussing DEs. For instance, Red Tips with their convex tto doors took a while to figure out. And Tech razors with their lower profile, technique came quicker. I find in general the modern razors I own, Merkur, Muhle and Shavecraft, to be relatively bulky for maneuvering under the nose. They feel bulkier. These days I'm pretty much in DE heaven with the Asylum Evolution. Its contours match up with my face really well, making it easily maneuverable, even under my nose and near the ears.

I have zero experience with the Wolfmans, ATTs, etc., so obviously I've no frame of reference there. Pictures of such modern, high-end razors don't give me anything tangible to relate to.

7 2,377
 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
Elliptically?

1 230
 09-07-2017, 07:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-07-2017, 06:33 PM)Laird Wrote: Elliptically?

Tongue

7 2,377
 09-08-2017, 04:58 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-07-2017, 04:39 PM)chazt Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 04:31 AM)Nero Wrote: For me, using a DE is the easiest method to get under the nose.

Yes. I had the exactly same experience with carts and gems under the nose. And as you, Matt, I have zero experience with AC style razors or straights. I did however try a shavette and knew immediately it wasn't for me. Have you tried an injector? They're the best single edge for me in terms of maneuverability. It's the only SE I enjoy using.

I bought a shavette, and only had to hold it to my face and decided it wasn't for me. Never even shaved with it.

I have not tried an injector. But I am really enjoying the BB Sabre (GEM)... even if not perfect for getting under the nose.

62 3,012
 09-08-2017, 06:17 PM
User Info
It doesn't look pretty, but I just pull my nose up and out of the way with my non-shaving hand.

0 1,098
 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
User Info
My nose is, I think, quite handsome. Slightly on the large side near the bottom, due to being broken twice during my boxing days.

Shaving is tricky, especially getting near the nasal openings. For me, I shave down, nose to lip. Then, shave from the sides of the mouth upward toward the nose. That seems to do the trick, leaving a smooth upper lip. Just take it slow and careful.

0 5
 09-22-2017, 07:30 PM
User Info
I go XTG AGT as mush as I can. when I can't any longer (mostly richt under the nose) I just go WTG. 2-3 WTG passes in that spot ends up getting me BBS in that area for some reason, and there is no inconsistency in hair growth in that area compared to other areas of by beard.

1 51