07-17-2017, 03:06 PM
User Info
I used my Simpson Commodore X3 Best Badger this morning and it overachieved as usual. While the largest Commodore, it is a smaller knot than my other badgers (Chubby 2, Thater 4125-1, Shavemac D01 28mm) and about the same size as my synths (Maggard 24mm both). When you see or hear Simpsons brushes being discussed it is always Chubbys and Dukes that are mentioned, with MAYBE the occasional Polo or Tulip, but never the Commodore. This morning the Stirling MITA was lathered into a huge cloud of cushion and lube in no time, and the brush felt great applying it. 

When I saw this brush on BST I took a chance even though it doesn't get nearly the amount of love that other Simpsons brushes get. It isn't super badger or Manchurian, and it isn't one of the old Somerset Simpsons, but the Commodore X3 in Best is my pleasant surprise. What is yours?

[Image: KNE11Bg.jpg]

2 137
 07-17-2017, 04:24 PM
User Info
I've currently been enjoying a Semogue 610 very much. I'm a badger guy all the way but this brush has been very nice indeed.

59 1,405
 07-18-2017, 05:34 AM
User Info
+1 on the X3.

Excellent brush that doesn't get much (any) fanfare. Mine shed 1 hair the first use and hasn't shed another in over 3 years

8 52
 07-18-2017, 05:47 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My favourite Simpson are, the Colonel 2XL best and the QE II Jubillee Manchurian.  Although I have several Simpson super badgers they are not among my favourites because I find the knots too dense.  Interestingly, I have a Vulfix Silvertip badger, which I really like even though Vulfix Silvertip is the same as Simpson super; the difference being that the Vulfix knots are not packed as densely as the Simpson knots.  Surprisingly, however, I quite like my (Somerset) Duke 2 pure.

5 882
 07-18-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info
I had -- and sold -- a Plisson synth. I just wasn't enamored of it.
However, I received a Razorock Plissoft as part of a gift package last Christmas...and I am quite impressed.

8 896
 07-18-2017, 07:16 AM
User Info
On a recent trip, I had the opportunity to use my Simpson Case for the first time.  This little guy punches above its weight and quickly gave me plenty of lather for 3-pass shaves.  Its 19mm knot requires a bit more patience to apply the lather but that's not a bad thing at all!

[Image: QH2fyVN.png]

73 4,269
 07-18-2017, 03:31 PM
User Info
My most pleasant brush surprise is my stirling badger fan.

0 141
 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
I'd like to hear about any pleasant surprises, not just brushes. Let's keep it shaving related, though.

2 137
 07-18-2017, 03:39 PM
User Info
(07-18-2017, 03:31 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: My most pleasant brush surprise is my stirling badger fan.

If that brush is anything like their soaps and aftershaves it is grade A.

2 137
 07-18-2017, 04:27 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-18-2017, 03:31 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: My most pleasant brush surprise is my stirling badger fan.

I've read many very positive reviews of Stirling brushes...I think I need/want one. Angel

5 882
 07-20-2017, 04:22 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Stridex pads really help razor bumps. Smile

1 560
 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
(07-17-2017, 03:06 PM)Puma Wrote: I used my Simpson Commodore X3 Best Badger this morning and it overachieved as usual. While the largest Commodore, it is a smaller knot than my other badgers (Chubby 2, Thater 4125-1, Shavemac D01 28mm) and about the same size as my synths (Maggard 24mm both). When you see or hear Simpsons brushes being discussed it is always Chubbys and Dukes that are mentioned, with MAYBE the occasional Polo or Tulip, but never the Commodore. This morning the Stirling MITA was lathered into a huge cloud of cushion and lube in no time, and the brush felt great applying it. 

When I saw this brush on BST I took a chance even though it doesn't get nearly the amount of love that other Simpsons brushes get. It isn't super badger or Manchurian, and it isn't one of the old Somerset Simpsons, but the Commodore X3 in Best is my pleasant surprise. What is yours?

+1 The Commodore's an interesting brush for sure especially in Best.  It's a shame that 3-band hair seems to have taken a backseat to 2-band these days because I believe a good 3-band is tough to beat.

2 583
 07-22-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
My recent surprise has been the old brushes that I found stored away and have been cleaning up and trying out.  So far almost all have been fantastic including some old nylon brushes that in may ways are almost as nice as the newer synthetics and share the same shortcomings.

The two rightmost on bottom shelf are newer overflow brushes; only about five oldies left to cleanup

[Image: medium800.jpg]

The boar and badger brushes have been odor free but since the newest of them is likely a half century old that was not a great surprise.  Only one, a badger from Simm's Canada, has been a shedder but even there it was only three or four hairs. The badgers are all marked as "Pure Badger" but at the time these brushes were made that was not really a grade but rather a statement that they were only badger and not "Badger Cased" (a layer of badger around the outside edge with boar as the majority of the body) or badger and nylon which was an attempt at the time to solve the problem of Synthetic  Splatter. Several seem to be Silvertip and compare directly with my modern examples of Silvertip and Manchurian.

The old Peerless and Modern Silvertip Thater and Kent brushes as well as a Zenith Manchurian
[Image: medium800.jpg]

A couple of the brushes may even have been unused but many definitely showed evidence of long use.  I think most likely belonged to my grandfather but some I seem to remember seeing dad use. From the color of the boxes I'd guess they were packed away when the family moved down to Texas in the mid to late 60s.

0 70
 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM
User Info
I've had a number of high end badgers, and my preference is for boars which all cost <$30 each. I kept two badgers (Chubby 2 best and a Vie Long silver tip butterscotch beehive) and 5 of the other six brushes are boars...they are my daily drivers.

0 23
 07-27-2017, 03:21 AM
User Info
My personal favorites are the duke 3 in two band silvertip and Chubby 2 two band silvertip.

0 46
 07-27-2017, 04:05 AM
User Info
Good to read this because it is the Commodore X3 I'm zeroing my sights on for my first Simpson brush. I like the shape of the handle and all I'm reading about the current Best Badger hair batch that Simpson is using are good news. 

As for the question made, are non-badger brushes allowed?. I say this because my personal "pleasant surprise" is my Omega 31052. When properly broken in, this humble boar outperforms a lot of the badger brushes out there...

0 44
 07-27-2017, 05:30 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Picked up a Simpson 55 at Merz this May. For a small brush it is densely packed and makes copious amounts of lather.

47 677
 07-28-2017, 02:18 AM
User Info
(07-27-2017, 04:05 AM)RamonCaratejon Wrote: Good to read this because it is the Commodore X3 I'm zeroing my sights on for my first Simpson brush. I like the shape of the handle and all I'm reading about the current Best Badger hair batch that Simpson is using are good news. 

As for the question made, are non-badger brushes allowed?. I say this because my personal "pleasant surprise" is my Omega 31052. When properly broken in, this humble boar outperforms a lot of the badger brushes out there...

All pleasant surprises that are shaving related can be shared. Not just brushes.

2 137
 07-28-2017, 04:27 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Stirling Unscented Beeswax soap.  I tried Stirling Naked and Smooth when I first started shaving with a DE razor and it always left me dry and irritated.  I put it away for a while and tried it again once my technique got better and while I got a good lather, I still got irritation.  It was one of the older formulas and I think the clay that was in the soap dried my face out.  I also think I might have a small sensitivity to lanolin.  I decided to get a puck of the beeswax soap this week.  I've used it twice so far and the results have been great.  It lathers easily and leaves my skin feeling hydrated after the shave.

3 529
 08-08-2017, 01:41 PM
User Info
(07-21-2017, 07:41 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 03:06 PM)Puma Wrote: I used my Simpson Commodore X3 Best Badger this morning and it overachieved as usual. While the largest Commodore, it is a smaller knot than my other badgers (Chubby 2, Thater 4125-1, Shavemac D01 28mm) and about the same size as my synths (Maggard 24mm both). When you see or hear Simpsons brushes being discussed it is always Chubbys and Dukes that are mentioned, with MAYBE the occasional Polo or Tulip, but never the Commodore. This morning the Stirling MITA was lathered into a huge cloud of cushion and lube in no time, and the brush felt great applying it. 

+1 The Commodore's an interesting brush for sure especially in Best.  It's a shame that 3-band hair seems to have taken a backseat to 2-band these days because I believe a good 3-band is tough to beat.

Thanks Brad. That means something coming from you. I'm going to add one, or a maybe a few, of yours to the rotation someday.

2 137