07-18-2017, 10:14 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I would like to appeal to the collective wisdom of the pit masters out there. What are your suggestions for lump charcoal for the green egg? I started out with Green Egg brand charcoal but not that I am running low, I am looking for other options.

I see Pitt Boss is $24.99 for a 20lb bag but, there isn't a store that carries it within an hour of me. Shipping would add a considerable amount to the price ($15 or so). So...any other good brands that I should be looking for?

46 18,610
 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-18-2017, 10:14 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I would like to appeal to the collective wisdom of the pit masters out there. What are your suggestions for lump charcoal for the green egg? I started out with Green Egg brand charcoal but not that I am running low, I am looking for other options.

I see Pitt Boss is $24.99 for a 20lb bag but, there isn't a store that carries it within an hour of me. Shipping would add a considerable amount to the price ($15 or so). So...any other good brands that I should be looking for?

The Lump Charcoal Database

Tangential note:  Here on the West Coast, the distributors of lump charcoal made from mesquite lost an antitrust lawsuit concerning their creating territories within each of which there would be only one distributor.  Despite that, they still do not compete in each others' territories.  Here in Portland, Oregon, for instance, the only mesquite lump charcoal available for sale in any store is Lazzari, which is  unfortunate for grillers (as opposed to BBQers) because Lazzari mesquite charcoal tends to put on a Roman Candle style of fireworks display when ignited, endangering the entire neighborhood with airborne embers.

1 1,109
 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM
User Info
Short answer - Rockwood (if you can find it)

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/

13 524
 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM
User Info
They should have Royal Oak at your local Home Depot. I think they make the Big Green Egg lump. Pretty good stuff that can be had cheap, especially when HD has sales around Memorial Day and Labor Day.

15 771
 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
I've used Royal Oak for years. Should be available at your local Home Depot. Aside from that, I also tend to buy local Texas lump charcoal from the meat market I frequent.

8 91
 07-18-2017, 11:43 AM
User Info
My favorite is Wicked Good Competitor but that isn't made anymore. http://wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

I can't find it locally so I've been known to have it shipped in. Lately I've been buying BGE and it's good. In a pinch I've used Cowboy, but it's far from my favorite.

You might want to check Wal-Mart. Even our local W-M has lump.

32 6,470
 07-18-2017, 04:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thanks guys. Royal oak is pretty easy to find here so I'll pick up a bag of that for the time being.

46 18,610
 07-18-2017, 04:54 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Good move Phil - the Royal Oak does come from two different places if I recall correctly, the one made in the USA is preferred to that imported from South America (Mel's link above to the Lump Database has two different reviews).  The Home Depots here carry the US version.  Seems the same as Green Egg, just cheaper.  I've discovered that HD doesn't keep up their stock all winter, as a result after Labor Day there's usually just a couple well crushed bags if you can find them.  Crushed lump doesn't burn so well ..

45 490
 07-18-2017, 05:55 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I like Royal Oak as it's locally available and reasonably priced.  I use Cowboy because it's carried by Costco and it's easy to get, it isn't the best and the quality varies from bag to bag.

This is the Royal Oak I use.  

[Image: bag11s.jpg]

8 1,446
 07-18-2017, 06:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thanks Shawn...that is what I'll try and pick up. I think Home Depot and Lowes carries it.

46 18,610
 07-18-2017, 06:17 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-18-2017, 10:34 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 10:14 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I would like to appeal to the collective wisdom of the pit masters out there. What are your suggestions for lump charcoal for the green egg? I started out with Green Egg brand charcoal but not that I am running low, I am looking for other options.

The Lump Charcoal Database

Tangential note:  Here on the West Coast, the distributors of lump charcoal made from mesquite lost an antitrust lawsuit concerning their creating territories within each of which there would be only one distributor.  Despite that, they still do not compete in each others' territories.  Here in Portland, Oregon, for instance, the only mesquite lump charcoal available for sale in any store is Lazzari, which is  unfortunate for grillers (as opposed to BBQers) because Lazzari mesquite charcoal tends to put on a Roman Candle style of fireworks display when ignited, endangering the entire neighborhood with airborne embers.

Thank you for the resource!

46 18,610
 07-18-2017, 06:50 PM
User Info
Phil, one word of advice:  unless something has changed Royal Oak gives its best lump to Green Egg.  If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, Royal Oak is fine.  If you are looking for similar/better quality, I think you are going to be disappointed.

13 524
 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-18-2017, 06:50 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Phil, one word of advice:  unless something has changed Royal Oak gives its best lump to Green Egg.  If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, Royal Oak is fine.  If you are looking for similar/better quality, I think you are going to be disappointed.

I'll test it out and see how it compares. I am hoping for similar quality. It does not seem there is a whole lot of choice locally so, it looks like Green Egg or Royal Oak will be the mainstay.

46 18,610
 07-19-2017, 05:29 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(07-18-2017, 06:50 PM)22bulldog Wrote: Phil, one word of advice:  unless something has changed Royal Oak gives its best lump to Green Egg.  If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, Royal Oak is fine.  If you are looking for similar/better quality, I think you are going to be disappointed.

I honestly can't remember if the quality is the same or not.  My BGE came with a large bag of BGE lump and after it was gone I started searching for cheaper alternatives.  I've found Royal Oak at Wal-Mart for under $5 for an 8.8 pound bag, my Home Depot has it for $12.97 for a 15.4 pound bag.

8 1,446
 07-19-2017, 06:09 AM
User Info
Shawn, try the Central Market brand Mesquite lump at HEB or CM.  A 20 lb bag goes for $12-13 and it's always served me well.  B&B has also served me well.  Academy stocks that brand and I believe HEB might as well, though maybe in smaller bags.

73 4,338
 07-19-2017, 06:17 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks Bill, I'll check it out.  I've used B&B purchased from HEB a few times and it's been fine, I don't use it more often because it's in small bags.  I'll check Acadamy for the large bags.

8 1,446
 07-19-2017, 06:22 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the posts on this. I've been looking at going to Lump Charcoal so glad to see this thread. Royal Oak is easy to get here so will give that a run as well.

148 3,594
 07-19-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
(07-19-2017, 05:29 AM)Sully Wrote:

I honestly can't remember if the quality is the same or not.  My BGE came with a large bag of BGE lump and after it was gone I started searching for cheaper alternatives.  I've found Royal Oak at Wal-Mart for under $5 for an 8.8 pound bag, my Home Depot has it for $12.97 for a 15.4 pound bag.

Its the same charcoal, but if you dumped out a bag of Big Green Egg and a bag of RO, the BGE would/should have better size distribution (bigger pieces).

13 524
 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(07-19-2017, 07:24 AM)22bulldog Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 05:29 AM)Sully Wrote:

Its the same charcoal, but if you dumped out a bag of Big Green Egg and a bag of RO, the BGE would/should have better size distribution (bigger pieces).

Thanks Brad.

8 1,446
 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-19-2017, 06:22 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Thanks for all the posts on this. I've been looking at going to Lump Charcoal so glad to see this thread. Royal Oak is easy to get here so will give that a run as well.

You might want to check at your nearest Lowe's as to availability and price status of Char-Broil, the lump charcoal that comes in a box.  It is end-of-season close-out time, and the 2039.04 cu in box of Char-Broil lump was selling here yesterday at $4.40 per box ... but there were only seven boxes left in stock.

1 1,109