07-24-2017, 06:13 PM
User Info
Beef and pork ribs look great. Thanks for sharing. I'm hungry now....

Smile

17 1,416
 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM
User Info
Shawn, yours look great also!

50 6,078
 07-25-2017, 03:12 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks guys.

8 1,357
 07-25-2017, 05:01 AM
User Info
Nice job Phil! If you have temp' control nailed down, you can cook anything, including the pinnacle of BBQ, Brisket. You can use the same marinade for that. You can also add some salt to it, but I don't.

Nice pork ribs Shawn!

I wouldn't turn down a plate of either the Beef or the Pork ribs.

Phil, so after getting some time with the ceramic cooker are you glad you dropped the hammer on  one?

32 6,459
 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-25-2017, 05:01 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Nice job Phil! If you have temp' control nailed down, you can cook anything, including the pinnacle of BBQ, Brisket. You can use the same marinade for that. You can also add some salt to it, but I don't.

Nice pork ribs Shawn!

Phil, so after getting some time with the ceramic cooker are you glad you dropped the hammer on  one?

Thank you Brian. Yes, I am very happy that I pulled the trigger on the ceramic cooker. My only regret is that I waited a year to do so. It is a game changer.

46 18,345
 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM
User Info
I know what I'm cooking this weekend!!  Nice job, guys!

73 4,303
 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
(07-25-2017, 06:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 05:01 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Nice job Phil! If you have temp' control nailed down, you can cook anything, including the pinnacle of BBQ, Brisket. You can use the same marinade for that. You can also add some salt to it, but I don't.

Nice pork ribs Shawn!

Thank you Brian. Yes, I am very happy that I pulled the trigger on the ceramic cooker. My only regret is that I waited a year to do so. It is a game changer.

I think it is too. The reason I asked is that outfits like Americas Test Kitchen don't give them high marks. Instead they go through gyrations to get a Weber to do what ceramic does so well without even trying. I make the claim that it makes me look like I know what I'm doing. It's not impossible to get bad results from out of it, but one almost needs to try to get them.

Have you done a high temp' sear on a steak yet? The dome doesn't need to be high temp', but (I know little about the BGE) the theory is to get the fire and steak just as close as possible. For me that means filling the firebox until it almost touches the grate, and the grate is inverted to get it another 1.5" closer to the fire. I put the cherry chunks in the fire after it's going. The high heat comes from proximity of the fire and steak. My dome is at 400ish°F so it's a controlled fire and not with the controls wide open (lid closed too, they're always used with the lid closed). But it's the fire that's the key, not dome temp'. The steak can also be laid directly on the fire. Just brush it off before eating. You'll never know there is wood ash on the meat. There are other ways too, but for now a simple seared steak is easy and the result is the equivalent of a $50 steak at a very high end restaurant. I have people who don't eat meat but who eat ever piece that I put on their plate.

32 6,459
 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-25-2017, 07:57 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 06:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

Nice pork ribs Shawn!

I think it is too. The reason I asked is that outfits like Americas Test Kitchen don't give them high marks. Instead they go through gyrations to get a Weber to do what ceramic does so well without even trying. I make the claim that it makes me look like I know what I'm doing. It's not impossible to get bad results from out of it, but one almost needs to try to get them.

Have you done a high temp' sear on a steak yet? The dome doesn't need to be high temp', but (I know little about the BGE) the theory is to get the fire and steak just as close as possible. For me that means filling the firebox until it almost touches the grate, and the grate is inverted to get it another 1.5" closer to the fire. I put the cherry chunks in the fire after it's going. The high heat comes from proximity of the fire and steak. My dome is at 400ish°F so it's a controlled fire and not with the controls wide open (lid closed too, they're always used with the lid closed). But it's the fire that's the key, not dome temp'. The steak can also be laid directly on the fire. Just brush it off before eating. You'll never know there is wood ash on the meat. There are other ways too, but for now a simple seared steak is easy and the result is the equivalent of a $50 steak at a very high end restaurant. I have people who don't eat meat but who eat ever piece that I put on their plate.
I have done Rib eyes on the BGE twice so far. I did not test the grate temperature for it but, the dome temperature was 600 to 650 degrees. I cooked on direct heat for 2 minutes per side and they were the best steaks that I have ever cooked. I was tempted to test the grate temperature but was not sure if the probes could handle that high of heat.

46 18,345
 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
(07-24-2017, 05:15 PM)bullgoose Wrote: For those wondering -Brian's recipe turned out great! I'll definitely be making them again.

[Image: 7dV9XPW.jpg]

Phil, did they come out as tender as you would have liked?

17 1,416
 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-25-2017, 09:32 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: Phil, did they come out as tender as you would have liked?

Yes, they were very tender. We had them as leftovers last night and I have enough for another meal easily.

46 18,345