07-20-2017, 11:32 AM
User Info
Hello gents,

I need to ask you if your progress aligns the blade by design or you have to do it manually.
I have my prgress for the beast paer of two years and never has it given me an acceptable shave, no matter how I tried with the different settings and blades.
Today I gave it a try again and noticed the blade had an uneven exposure, so I did it manually with a bit of fiddling.
The shave was BBs with no incident on the most aggressive setting with a polsilver on its third use.
Do you also encounter this or other ones align the blade properly.

0 283
 07-20-2017, 12:16 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Make sure the two symbols are on the same side.....(the triangle and the notch)....insert blade and tighten to the # 1 setting and then to whatever you like i.e.#2 or 2.5 etc......best razor for the money ever made.

6 2,023
 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM
User Info
(07-20-2017, 12:16 PM)Harvey Wrote: Make sure the two symbols are on the same side.....(the triangle and the notch)....insert blade and tighten to the # 1 setting and then to whatever you like i.e.#2 or 2.5 etc......best razor for the money ever made.

I always make sure the notches are aligned and something I've just notuced. The cap in relation to the base plate moves with relative ease  with the blade inside. I think this is wrong.

0 283
 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM
User Info
mine aligns blades without fiddling with them, but Harvey is correct, check to make sure the line on the edge of the top cap is on the same side as the triangle on the bottom cap.  Sorry for the poor photo.  Not sure to what degree that affects blade alignment...

[Image: 61DaisR.png]

17 1,416
 07-20-2017, 01:00 PM
User Info
I do make sure it's aligned.

0 283
 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(07-20-2017, 01:00 PM)kyproset Wrote: I do make sure it's aligned.
Kypros, a Progress I tried a few years ago had the same issue...

49 1,996
 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM
User Info
Very odd, though I've seen this issue pop up a few times.  

I have had multiple Progress variants and every one holds the cap/blade as designed.  If it's a standard Progress, I suppose it's possible the internal screw/spindle mechanism has loosened over time, thus prohibiting a tight cinch of the cap.  Search for Progress repair disassembly and calibration information.  If it has loosened and is not damaged, perhaps the clean and reassembly will do the trick.  By the way, the modification of the razor to make it a Mergress also improves the operation and overall integrity of the adjustment mechanism.  You can feel the improvement when you operate the upgraded razor.  

Good luck!

73 4,303
 07-20-2017, 09:17 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
The tolerances on the Progress head aren't that tight.  I always double check blade exposure when loading a new blade and frequently have to make some adjustment.  I've found that pushing the blade into the head (so that it's curved not flat) and then holding it like that using the end tabs while screwing the handle on help place the blade more accurately.

1 219
 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-20-2017, 09:17 PM)P.B Wrote: The tolerances on the Progress head aren't that tight.  I always double check blade exposure when loading a new blade and frequently have to make some adjustment.  I've found that pushing the blade into the head (so that it's curved not flat) and then holding it like that using the end tabs while screwing the handle on help place the blade more accurately.

Yes that is important with most any razor....don,t rush assembly it only takes a minute or less...enjoy yourself loading and then shave away !!!!!

6 2,023
 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM
User Info
(07-20-2017, 02:11 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Very odd, though I've seen this issue pop up a few times.  

I have had multiple Progress variants and every one holds the cap/blade as designed.  If it's a standard Progress, I suppose it's possible the internal screw/spindle mechanism has loosened over time, thus prohibiting a tight cinch of the cap.  Search for Progress repair disassembly and calibration information.  If it has loosened and is not damaged, perhaps the clean and reassembly will do the trick.  By the way, the modification of the razor to make it a Mergress also improves the operation and overall integrity of the adjustment mechanism.  You can feel the improvement when you operate the upgraded razor.  

Good luck!

That's something I will look into, turning it into a Mergress, I'll also follow the advise to dis-assemble it and try to make it right.
Thank you for the advise.

0 283