08-24-2012, 06:09 AM
User Info
Joined a few days ago and I've just been getting a feel for the site. Lots of good information here. Now I'm looking for advice.

This morning's shave carved me up a bit. Not enough to risk serious blood loss, but enough that I'm glad there were no sharks around. What's the thinking out there on care for the next few days? Don't shave? Less aggressive razor/blade? Happy to hear any advice.

0 98
 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard!
for one, sounds like you need to work on your technique a little. There are plenty videos out on the web including a favorite of the majority-Mantic59
http://sharpologist.com/

If your face is torn up, I would take a couple days off, but definitely study the videos. In the meantime, from what I hear around here lately, Organic Shea Butter will help out with the face until its ready to go for another shave.
Also, maybe the blade/razor combo just isnt a match for you. What are you currently using?

9 333
 08-24-2012, 06:15 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Welcome! Glad to have you, it'll get much better very soon, take you time.

88 4,233
 08-24-2012, 06:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
More than likely, you need to work on your preparation and your technique. Once you are able to gin up a nice rich and thick lather, you will have a little more leeway in terms of technique.

Jump on in, the water's fine! Your shaves will get better.

45 16,346
 08-24-2012, 06:20 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hello and welcome to the Nook!

Take a couple of days off to give your face time to heal. In the interim tell us about what you are currently using and how you are using it. I'm sure there's more than a few members willing and waiting to give you a few tips once we know a little more about your set up and routine...

91 17,851
 08-24-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 06:12 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Welcome aboard!
for one, sounds like you need to work on your technique a little. There are plenty videos out on the web including a favorite of the majority-Mantic59
http://sharpologist.com/

If your face is torn up, I would take a couple days off, but definitely study the videos. In the meantime, from what I hear around here lately, Organic Shea Butter will help out with the face until its ready to go for another shave.
Also, maybe the blade/razor combo just isnt a match for you. What are you currently using?

+1 on the above information. It would help if you told us what you are using and what your pre-shave routine is. Welcome to the Shave Nook.

75 20,883
 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
I've been wet shaving since college (mid-30s now). Switched over to a DE razor about four months ago after getting sick of the price for cartridges. Pre-shave is a shower and a good scrub to my face. I was using a Parker razor I've had for about a week and a Feather blade. I used a less aggressive blade last week to get used to the razor and swapped it out for the Feather a couple days ago.

I typically lather, shave WTG, re-wet my face, then go ATG. Most days that's plenty with little if any irritation. The irony this morning is that my prep and lather was better than normal because I took some extra time with it.

I suspect in this case the blade got dinged yesterday (the razor slipped and hit after a fall of about four inches). It didn't look out of alignment or anything, and I didn't see any obvious marks, but I probably should have changed the blade anyway.

0 98
 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM
User Info
It's great to have you in the Nook!

Give your skin some time to heal.
Use a high quality aftershave to repair the damage done by shaving.
Stop the face "scrub" before shaving, shaving itself is exfoliating enough IMHO.
Use a preshave soap. I didn't think this mattered until the last month. It's really improved my shaves.
Keep working on technique.
Keep trying different blades.
Try a SE! They just work better than those flimsy DE blades (Tongue Winky)

31 7,914
 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

100 12,444
 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum. You may indeed want to take a day or two off to let your skin heal some. Then I'd suggest changing from Feather (which always cut me up) to a milder blade (Lords, Astra, Treet, Gillette 7 O'Clock, etc.), and try at first just going WTG and XTG - no ATG passes initially. Shave slowly, without any hurry, paying attention to razor angle and avoiding putting pressure on your skin. When you feel comfortable doing that for awhile without any nicks or cuts, then you can add an ATG pass. And have fun.

184 12,003
 08-24-2012, 08:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

When I use a DE razor I do the following:

1. Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blade.
2. Wash face in luke warm water using a pre-shave soap.
3. To a wet face I apply a good lather.
4. Without any pressure I shave with the grain (WTG).
5. Rinse face with luke warm water.
6. Apply more lather.
7. Without any pressure I shave across the grain (XTG).
8. Check face and touch up where needed.
9. Rinse face with luke warm water followed up with a cold water rinse.
10. Apply my after shave and balm for the day.

173 23,540
 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome!

2 5,532
 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Welcome!

Where in Iowa? You'll, no doubt, recall the line, "This isn't heaven. It's Iowa."

Many days, that's true.

47 1,378
 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Welcome aboard.

1 3,507
 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 09:16 AM)MaxP Wrote: Welcome!

Where in Iowa? You'll, no doubt, recall the line, "This isn't heaven. It's Iowa."

Many days, that's true.

I'm in Ottumwa, Max. Hometown of Radar O'Rielly (bigger than he made it sound on the show). But the guy who inspired the role still lives in the area.

0 98
 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and enjoy your stay. Smile

2 11,211
 08-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!
Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I don't have any advice but the guys above seemed to have give you some good food for thought for you to think about.

But I did want to welcome you to the NooK because it's such a great place to hang out!

7 405
 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Welcome to the nook

3 748
 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I live in Winterset. Birthplace of "The Duke", John Wayne.

Aren't small towns great? Most grab whatever piece of notoriety they can.

Regards,

MaxP

(08-24-2012, 10:07 AM)Observereport Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 09:16 AM)MaxP Wrote: Welcome!

Many days, that's true.

I'm in Ottumwa, Max. Hometown of Radar O'Rielly (bigger than he made it sound on the show). But the guy who inspired the role still lives in the area.

47 1,378