07-22-2017, 05:38 PM
User Info
Moderator Note: Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed

So I got an email from James informing me that he had this DE razor in inventory and asked if I'd like one. So even though I've been on the list for a polished Brass one for quite some time I thought why not and went ahead and purchased it. So today was my first time shaving with it and I thought I'd share the experience with all that are interested.First thing I noticed and I'm sure most would is how large the handle is! It's wider than any other razor in my den. So I was like i'm not sure on the handle yet but I thought I'd keep an open mind until I shaved with it. The other thing I noticed is how well designed the head is with it's low profile. Also I will say as of now this is the best threading I've ever experienced on any razor period. It is so smooth I think this should be the standard that all artisans should try to achieve.

So on with the shave. As I do in all my reviews I do a full 4 pass shave to evaluate the razor and compare it to others in my den.
Razor - Wolfman Guerrilla
Blade - Feather
Brush - Stirling Kong
Soap - SV 70th
PS - Thayers Lemon
AS - SV 70th
Growth - 2 days

Pass 1. WTG - Right way I notice that the large handle doesn't bother me at all. I found the balance rather easily and I got great feedback from the razor. I didn't apply any real pressure since I was doing a 4 pass shave so after the first past I thought to myself nice shave so far. The one thing that really stood out to me was, as I thought this razor is awesome under the nose.

Pass 2. XTG- Went ear to nose and the angle was really easy to find and as soon as I got to my nose and lips again it just glided very smoothly around this normally tender area. I couldn't help but compare it to the last shave I had with the new Blackland SE Sabre and to be perfectly honest I'm liking this better right from the get go. 

Pass 3. XTG - This time nose to ear and the SV lather has such good glide IMO which made the Guerilla seems almost mild but I'd say it was surprisingly more efficient than I thought it would be. So at the end of this pass I definitely had a solid DFS and if I stopped right there I'd be good to go to work with the shave and with some touch ups or buffing I'd be at a BBS for sure.

Pass 4. ATG - On this pass it shined, as it was a very smooth and just took down whatever stubble was left on my face and neck. I even went this way and that way. Shaved over my one bad cowlick on my neck almost like I would with my Genesis V2 without concern. I just wanted push this razor to see if I could do it without a nick or increased irritation. So in the end I ended up with a nice BBS shave that i would say would be good for 6 to 8 hrs and the feedback I got from the Alum block was minimal. 

So all and all I'd say this is a very nice razor in all areas, I'm sure some people might not like the handle but I saw one that a guy changed his with a custom SS handle that kind of reminded me of the Charcoal Goods Bishop handle and it looked really good with the Guerrilla head so an option for those that may not like a fat handle.

Overall I'm very happy with the razor and the shave I got and if this is any indication of how James other models perform.  I'm staying on the list until I get the one I really want. 

Oh and sorry guys I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure how to upload photos from my phone and if someone could give me some instructions I'd really appreciate the help.

0 69
 07-22-2017, 11:48 PM
User Info
Good review and thank you for it as I'm in the passaroungand and can't wait to test drive it. I usually do two passes with corrections, but four seem to be one too many and as I take pride that I can shave fast (although not as fast as Steve Hardie of RMS fame) these many passes to achieve a BBs add to the total shaving time.
Interesting you find it better than the Sabre as I have one in the mail and will test it soon. They are however two different blade razors, a Gem and an DE which behave differently as the blades are different. I do like the DE blade length more than the SE as I can toss it around with less care.

0 229
 07-23-2017, 04:40 AM
User Info
(07-22-2017, 11:48 PM)kyproset Wrote: Good review and thank you for it as I'm in the passaroungand and can't wait to test drive it. I usually do two passes with corrections, but four seem to be one too many and as I take pride that I can shave fast (although not as fast as Steve Hardie of RMS fame) these many passes to achieve a BBs add to the total shaving time.
Interesting you find it better than the Sabre as I have one in the mail and will test it soon. They are however two different blade razors, a Gem and an DE which behave differently as the blades are different. I do like the DE blade length more than the SE as I can toss it around with less care.

I normally do exactly what you do as far as passes go on a normal shave. I only do 4 when I've reviewed or done comparisons between two different razors and I've got my own system to determine the level of a BBS shave and they go from a Level 1 BBS to a Level 3 BBS. So when doing a review or comparison I do 4 passes to see where I end up. 

I'm sure with two passes WTG and ATG and some touch ups the Guerilla could get me a Level 1 BBS shave no problem. And I can do a very fast shave when I want to.  I hope you didn't think I was bashing the Sabre. It's a finely built razor with a real nice balance to it and it gave me a solid BBS shave as did the Genesis but I guess it just didn't give me that instant connection that I've gotten with some of the razors in my den like my two Timeless, Gem MMOC & 1912, Brass General also felt it with the Guerilla and I got the feeling I'll feel it again as soon as I have my first shave with the Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC I just got yesterday. I'm sure you know the feeling when a razor just feels right! 

ALso let me say I Love Gem blades and you're right shaving with a DE vs SE is a whole different thing not only because of the blades but the angles used. I think the Sabre will grow on me but the threading thing I guess started a somewhat negative attitude towards it but I did give it an honest review when I did a shaving comparison to the OB Genesis V2. 

Let me know what you think of it after you use the Sabre. I'm curious to hear how you feel about it. 

so thank you for your input.  Thumbsup

0 69
 07-23-2017, 06:38 AM
User Info
Dear Wanderer66, thank you for explaining.
I also do find myself getting attached to some razors more than others, for example I feel more at thome with a DE blade length and apart from the OB V1 genesisI haven't used any other Gem blade razor. I do like the rigidity of the Gem and Feather, so I'm favourably disposed towards Gem razors. This is the reason I ordered both the SE-G and the Sabre and god knows what else I'll be getting in the future.
I'll post my results when I try these two new razors.

0 229
 07-23-2017, 01:39 PM
User Info
(07-23-2017, 06:38 AM)kyproset Wrote: Dear Wanderer66, thank you for explaining.
I also do find myself getting attached to some razors more than others, for example I feel more at thome with a DE blade length and apart from the OB V1 genesisI haven't used any other Gem blade razor. I do like the rigidity of the Gem and Feather, so I'm favourably disposed towards Gem razors. This is the reason I ordered both the SE-G and the Sabre and god knows what else I'll be getting in the future.
I'll post my results when I try these two new razors.

I love the Gem blades a lot. That's why I have a lot of the Vintage Gem razors in the den.  I'm also seeing a new era of Gem style razors coming in the future and I kind of know of at least one artisan razor maker that will be coming out with one in the future ( can't spill the beans ) and I'm sure there are others in the works as well. I've never shaved with the SE- G so I'd like to hear your feedback when you try it and the Sabre and compare. 

Take care!

0 69
 07-23-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
Great review man. I should be getting my Guerrilla tomorrow and I absolutely can't wait to use it. The feedback has been awesome from what I've seen about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 20
 07-24-2017, 03:10 AM
User Info
(07-23-2017, 05:57 PM)_i2oss Wrote: Great review man. I should be getting my Guerrilla tomorrow and I absolutely can't wait to use it. The feedback has been awesome from what I've seen about it!

Congrats its an awesome razor and let us know what you think after having a shave or two with it.

0 69
 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM
User Info
(07-23-2017, 05:57 PM)_i2oss Wrote: Great review man. I should be getting my Guerrilla tomorrow and I absolutely can't wait to use it. The feedback has been awesome from what I've seen about it!

You will love it. I know I love mine and will never sell it. The shave is about on par with my Wolfman WR1. Everything about it screams quality, just like the WR1 heads.

0 16
 07-28-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
Congratulations on your acquisition
I hope I can keep my RAD in check

0 46