08-24-2012, 08:05 AM
User Info
Hello all...

I just wanted to stop by, introduce myself, and comment on what a fantastic site this is. I'm brand new to the world of traditional wet shaving, but I fear I'm hopelessly hooked already!

I've got about a zillion (rough estimate) questions about how to get started in earnest (which razor, which brush, etc.), but I have to say I'm REALLY looking forward to the learning process.

Thanks for such a wonderfully informative site, and have a great day!

- Paul

0 7
 08-24-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
Hey, welcome to the forum, Paul. Don't hesitate to ask any of your questions. There are lots of guys here with a whole lot of experience who are quite willing to try to help you.

178 11,971
 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
It's great to have you in the Nook! My parents are from Cincinatti & I love driving over the Ohio at night & seeing all the lights along the river.

31 7,892
 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Paul, welcome to The Shave Nook. Just find a thread or topic you like and jump in and ask all the questions you like.

173 23,286
 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
hello and welcome Cool

2 5,510
 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Hello and welcome to the Nook.

Blade sampler is a good way to start blade sampling.

1 3,507
 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
Welcome Paul to The Shave Nook.

98 12,353
 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
welcome aboard

9 333
 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM
User Info
I sincerely appreciate the hospitality!

I've been nosing around the Shave Nook for just a while now, and let me tell you, I had NO IDEA there were so many options to choose from!

Thanks to a recent birthday, and me dropping a lot of hints, I've got what I'm hoping is at least a decent sampling of oils, soaps and creams. I figure it's going to be a "process of elimination" kind of thing (not to mention highly subjective), but I decided to start with a few items from Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt and Hill and Proraso to begin my journey.

Where I get completely lost is in the razor and brush departments. I keep hearing that both a Merkur and a Jagger are good starting points for a DE, but I honestly don't even know if a DE is the way I want to go. (Told you I was completely lost) As far as brushes go, I'm leaning towards a Simpson, but I haven't landed on a specific model yet. Not being able to check one out in person is a huge drawback, so I'm guessing it's doomed to be trial and error. (My guess is that's half the fun anyway)

At any rate, I've taken up enough of your time, but I really appreciate both the warm welcome and all of the help.

Thanks again!

- Paul

0 7
 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Jump on in, the water's fine!

45 15,928
 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
  • Everett
  • Lurk-Exer
  • Darlingford, MB
User Info
Welcome here Paul! I'm sure you will have plenty of questions, and we all will have plenty of (differing) answers. Post a thread or join in and ask away, I'd be more than happy to help if I can!

0 19
 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Paul, and enjoy your stay. Smile

A DE is not a bad way to start, though not the only way. DE razors run from mild to aggressive, safety bar to open comb to slant so trial and error and reading comments here at The Shave Nook should get you started. Besides new razors, vintage Gillette DEs and other vintage brands can be eye openers. Many can be had at reasonable prices so consider checking out our BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) section as well as antique stores and e-Bay.

If you do decide to start with a DE then Brad's suggestion of a blade sampler pack is an excellent one. For not much money you can try out several different brands of blades to see what works for you.

The Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt and Hill, and Proraso brands are all superb and have their followers so you are off to a very good start there.

Enjoy your wet shaving journey and don't be afraid to ask questions or to share your shaving experiences with us. That's why all of us are here. Again, welcome.

2 11,211
 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Welcome to the Nook. You will find that the people here is very polite and helpful, so don't hesitate to ask questions. Enjoy your stay!

7 858
 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Welcome to the NooK Paul, it's a great place to hang out! The guys here will have some great advice for you if you happen to need in while you take this journey!

7 405
 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!

9 1,684
 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Welcome to the forum!

86 7,123
 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
Paul, welcome to the Shave Nook and i hope you enjoy your time, here.

74 20,778
 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Paul welcome! You will get great advice here. You will need to do some trial and error to find the tools and software that work for you. Everyone is different but one thing I've discovered is that there are many products that are inexpensive but work great so don't assume that cheap means badRolleyes

Good luck!

P.S. Bengals suckWink

15 184
 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
Can't thank you enough for all the help, folks! What a great forum!

Next, I think I'll head over to the Brushes Forum and find out how much I don't know on THAT subject. Biggrin

Thanks again!

- Paul

0 7
 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hi Paul, welcome to the Nook and start firing those questions, there's more than a few informed members here ready to assist...

91 17,610