07-24-2017, 11:44 PM
User Info
Sam's Club was giving out free samples of these disposable razors, so why wouldn't I grab one? In the moment, I intended to throw it in my travel bag, but instead I just used it.

According to the Schick website, the Xtreme 3 is the second lowest line, and is their answer to the Gillette Mach 3, with a pivot head and a lube strip. And in my opinion, Schick beats Gillette in the 3-blade arena, plus the Xtreme3 is going for about half the price of a Mach 3 disposable.

I used Catie's Bubbles for the shave and made two passes (WTG, ATG). It's easy to maneuver, fit under my nose, and didn't clog. The handle weighs next to nothing, and the underside is like a honeycomb pattern to keep weight (amount of plastic aka costs) down. I got a good shave out of it, and that result surprised me, actually, for a few reason. First, because after switching to DE I kept an M3 disposable for my travel bag, and when I used it (with a proper Palmolive stick + brush lather), I found it so mediocre that I threw it out rather than fly it home after only one shave on it. Another reason the Xtreme3 surprised me is because I hated the Schick Hydro5 which clogged constantly with my typical Palmolive lather, even though I don't have a ton of facial hair to cut through, and which I thought was going to cut my lip when I tried to get under my nose. The Hydro also went into the bin instead of the dopp kit after one use.

But the Xtreme3 is in my bag to be used in the future. At the $1/cart price, it fills a gap in the Dollar Shave Club lineup, both in price and number of blades (which are 2-blade @ $0.60 each or 4-blade @ $1.50 each). I haven't used DSC blades to give a comparison to the shave, but do know that they are not disposable handles so they are more substantial. I also don't know the longevity of the Xtreme3 and think, at the price, it can't last more than 3-5 shaves. It probably won't get used until my next domestic flight, and that isn't even on the books yet!

6 806
 07-25-2017, 01:48 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-24-2017, 11:44 PM)Gig103 Wrote: According to the Schick website, the Xtreme 3 is the second lowest line, and is their answer to the Gillette Mach 3, with a pivot head and a lube strip. And in my opinion, Schick beats Gillette in the 3-blade arena, plus the Xtreme3 is going for about half the price of a Mach 3 disposable.

Another reason the Xtreme3 surprised me is because I hated the Schick Hydro5 which clogged constantly with my typical Palmolive lather, even though I don't have a ton of facial hair to cut through, and which I thought was going to cut my lip when I tried to get under my nose.

Schick's dirty little secret is that, within its Hydro Line, the less expensive Hydro3 is a much better shaver than the more expensive Hydro5.  The 3-blade Hydro3 is much less prone to clogging (greater spacing between individual blades) than the Hydro5 is.  

(07-24-2017, 11:44 PM)Gig103 Wrote: The Hydro also went into the bin instead of the dopp kit after one use.

Because the handles are mechanically identical, one can use Hydro3 cartridges on a Hydro5 handle. You could have tossed only the Hydro5 cartridges, kept the handle, and bought the less expensive Hydro3 blades for it.  The Hydro3 and the disposable Extreme3 shave similarly, but, because of the more substantial handle and a more sophisticated pivot and better internal springs in the Hydro3, you will get a more satisfying shave from a Hydro3 than from an Extreme 3.

(07-24-2017, 11:44 PM)Gig103 Wrote: But the Xtreme3 is in my bag to be used in the future.
I also don't know the longevity of the Xtreme3 and think, at the price, it can't last more than 3-5 shaves.

You probably will get more than that, but any razor blade, whether embedded within a cartridge or naked, will degrade over time from atmospheric exposure, especially after the coating has been worn off from shaving.  Your shaves on your first trip with a previously unused Extreme3 will be as good as your first experience that you described above.  However, if you keep a previously used Extreme3 in your Dopp kit between trips, and there is an extended period of time between trips, you may find that it performs poorly when you pull it out of the dopp kit on the next trip.

1 1,110
 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM
User Info
I have an update -- I used this cartridge for the second time (a little over a month later) and it was already noticeably duller than the first. The shave itself was close enough, and it probably has a third shave in it, but maybe not. I had no razor burn after, but found a bump and small ingrown hair tonight.

With that in mind, I won't buy any more for travel, at least until I see how DSC turns out. If the 4-blades ($1.50ea) last for double the shaves, it's pretty much a wash.

6 806