08-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Everett
  • Lurk-Exer
  • Darlingford, MB
User Info
Home Roasters unite! I haven't seen a coffee thread around here yet, unless I completely missed it.

I'm looking at roasting a batch of Tanzanian when I get home tonight in my popper. Just wondering how others around here roast and/or brew their coffee.

I am looking at modifying my popper for better control or changing to something completely different. I prefer not to roast much (1/2# max) as its just for me and the wife. Ideas?

0 19
 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I don't drink coffee at all but the hubby does. He use to use your typical coffee pot with Folgers pre-ground coffee. But one day at the store on a whim I bought him a french press just because there are times when he just wants to fill his to-go cup and the rest is wasted.

Least to say now he buys the beans, grinds his own just before using and uses the french press. He likes the flavor so much more. The old coffee pot got thrown out I think. Either that or it made it's way down the basement.....

7 405
 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
User Info
Sorry, but i can not help. i adore the smell of coffee, but do not drink it myself. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
Since roasted beans cost about the same as green beans (unless bought in serious bulk), I just have the local roaster do it for me. I use a Maestro grinder and french press.

9 2,988
 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
My coffee has to be cheap and strong, I average about 4 cups a day.I use a stove top percolator.

I mix a bag of chicory into a pound of freshly ground French Roast .

Thought about home roasting but I don't want to complicate my coffee , I like and am happy with a simple method.

15 541
 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
User Info
I don't roast, but I grind my own using my paternal grandmothers wall mounted coffee grinder. The result is then used in a drip-brewer, a press can or a moka pot depending on what I feel for. I also do cold brew for making lattes, but I don't grind my own for that... grinding half a kilogram of coffee would wear my arm out Undecided

Speaking of coffee, I need my fix... I usually drink two to three litres a day.

3 3,559
 08-25-2012, 04:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use to roast and grind my own, but just got lazy. Now I just buy ground Dunkin Donuts regular blend and make between 4-8 pots per day, depending on the weather.

173 23,499
 08-25-2012, 06:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
For the past six months we have been using a Kuerig and the coffee pods which can be purchased in many different roasts. We also have a special attachment that you can use regular grind or grind your own beans. Works great. It also uses tea pods as well.

100 12,438
 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The way I do my own is walk across the street to one of my favorite coffeehouses and let them do the work. Tongue

2 11,211
 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
User Info
If I have the time, I'll make coffee with a french press, otherwise, but usually at night I'll set my Mr. Coffee is I plan on shaving in the morning before work and grad school. A keurig has been on my mind for a while now, though.

1 168
 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Bumping this thread because I've recently added coffee bean roasting to my hobby list. I've been a coffee lover for years but this takes it to a whole different level!

I expect a few folks will weigh in soon - including my local enablers. DodgyTongue

35 2,703
 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
I don't roast my own, but I do grind beans. I buy the beans at a local small production called Stewart Brothers; it's very fresh and to my somewhat unrefined taste buds it's better than the typical Starbucks or Peets. I also do buy Kona beans from an eBay seller, which my wife and I use for our Sunday morning coffee.

183 12,002
 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
John, having a local, fresh bean roaster must be fantastic and certainly "the next best thing" or on par to roasting you own! I need to shop for local roasters to serve as emergency backups to Billy's Roasting Co. Tongue

35 2,703
 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
User Info
I roast beans from Sweet Maria's in a skillet on my stovetop and I use an Aeropress for brewing. I'm extremely happy with the results.

6 315
 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM
User Info
I'm another that doesn't roast but grinds my own each morning. I have a local roaster in the town next to mine. I place my order & they deliver to my home or office within 2
days (usually next day) for no extra charge.

Cumberland Valley Coffee

31 7,912
 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
I go through my coffee and tea phases. When I'm drinking coffee it's usually Keurig K-cups during the week and locally roasted, french pressed beans on the weekend. I also enjoy a good pour over from time to time.

5 938
 02-16-2013, 05:28 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I use a little Sunbeam espresso machine (em3600) $74 from Big W. Makes great espresso, macchiato, ristretto (well, kinda ristretto) etc. I buy free-trade coffee pre-ground, $5 for 250gms from ALDI.

I was surprised how well this little beast works. Better IMO than the Gaggia at 10 times the price. If it explodes I'll go an buy another one.

0 1,622
 02-18-2013, 06:04 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(02-13-2013, 07:43 PM)OckhamsRazor Wrote: I roast beans from Sweet Maria's in a skillet on my stovetop and I use an Aeropress for brewing. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Drinking one of my Sweet Maria's brews right now - delicious! I recently "re-roasted" some of my previously machine-roasted beans in a cast iron skillet and was surprised how well they turned out. But at the volume my wife and I drink, I'll let the machine do most of the work!

(02-13-2013, 07:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'm another that doesn't roast but grinds my own each morning. I have a local roaster in the town next to mine. I place my order & they deliver to my home or office within 2
days (usually next day) for no extra charge.

Cumberland Valley Coffee

I've only begun to search but I believe the Austin area has quite a few roasters. But home delivery? I can hope!

35 2,703