07-28-2017, 05:01 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Well as I've gotten deeper into straights, a nice Fili is missing. I've admired these razors for years, well before I even thought about using a straight razor. There is just something about them. There are so many models that I had to do a little research to find out which model is best for me. I prefer around 6/8 so a 13 sounds about right.

During my research I've come across a brief history and found that not all Filis are good, or at least some are better. Some warn about the latest razors and how they come from Japan. Well as I've scoured the Bay I've seen a fair number shipping from Japan. I've always read these warnings in posts in a non- related thread. Never a flat out "this is what to look for".

So.... what do I look for if I want a good Fili? What are some of the indentifying marks or traits of the more desireable periods?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

76 1,393
 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I have been lead to believe that the earlier razors had nicer scales and I can only guess at what that might look like. Wish I could be or real help but someone will better inform us soon.

11 659
 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(07-28-2017, 05:21 PM)doc47 Wrote: I have been lead to believe that the earlier razors had nicer scales and I can only guess at what that might look like. Wish I could be or real help but someone will better inform us soon.

I hope so Dan.

76 1,393
 07-28-2017, 08:46 PM
User Info
Generally you want to avoid Filarmonicas that do not have "Jose Montserrat POU" on the tang.  Later models simply said Filarmonica Doble Temple (or Sub-Cero, etc.) and are apparently not as good, having been ground after Filarmonica was in the hands of JMP's daughter.  If my memory serves, there was a thread on another forum describing how those razors were sometimes forged and ground in Pakistan.

The 13 is a wonderful size and my favorite Fili is a 13 Medallon Taurino.  While most Filis are very similar (Doble Temple, Novodur, Sub-Cero, Especial para Barbas Duras and INOX all supposedly shave similarly), I found out a while back that some Medallon Taurino 13s were ground differently and are actually more a quarter hollow, which is my preference.

My suggestion would actually be to scour the bay at the .ES extension (Spain's 'bay) for a Fili 13 that has Jose Montserrat POU on the tang, which you could probably get for $100 less.  If you like more hollow ground razors, go for a Doble Temple or Novodur, if you like stainless, go for an INOX, and if you prefer beefier grinds, look for a Medallon Taurino.  All will be wonderful!

16 250
 07-29-2017, 03:04 AM
User Info
As already said, definitely ensure the razor has Jose Monserrat Pou stamped on the tang. Those without are later razors and the quality of steel comes in to question. Generally, the JMP razors come in the white Doble Temple or orange Sub Cero cardboard coffin boxes, the later razors in black boxes. May be exceptions, though.

JMP razors are incredibly easy to hone and hold their edges, very well.

Although I have had to give up straights, I made several purchases from a couple of suppliers on eBay, from Japan. The service was excellent and razors were exactly as described.

32 5,292
 08-01-2017, 12:10 AM
User Info
As already said, those with the JMP engraving are less of a risk. Make sure however that you are not buying a "tired" razor. With those without the JMP marking it can be more of a hit or miss. Some are as good. (I got lucky three times out of three). All of these latter ones I got, had the made in Spain engraving. Avoid the last razors produced under the daughter management (not because she is a lady, but because they might be Pakistani razors), these don't have the made in Spain marking or the JMP.
Purchasing from Japanese vendors was not a problem for me. The ones I know were perfectly honest, and great to purchase from, you get what is presented.
(I highly recommend Japanese razors, Tanifuji made in particular. ).
Filarmonica 1/4 hollow are hard to find, but i really enjoy the way they shave, size 13 works fine for me, and size 14 is big, but that is just me. YMMV.

0 50
 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(07-28-2017, 08:46 PM)explodyii Wrote: The 13 is a wonderful size and my favorite Fili is a 13 Medallon Taurino.  While most Filis are very similar (Doble Temple, Novodur, Sub-Cero, Especial para Barbas Duras and INOX all supposedly shave similarly), I found out a while back that some Medallon Taurino 13s were ground differently and are actually more a quarter hollow, which is my preference.
      Inox applies to any steel with at least 11% chromium content if anyone is interested. Just a fun fact for the next time you see the term Inox used with a razor blade. Many manufactures have had an Inox line of razors. 

11 659
 08-03-2017, 06:15 PM
User Info
I have 5 great Filarmonicas and one razor-shaped piece of metal Filarmonica 13 Medallion Taurino NOS that is from the last years when the daughter was running things.  I could not hone it, so I sent it to a well-known straight razor person, Glen Mercurio.  Glen could not hone it.  I got that one from Japan on ebay.  I had gotten other Japanese razors from the same seller that were fine.  This one was not.

21 1,686
 08-17-2017, 06:19 PM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 06:15 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I have 5 great Filarmonicas and one razor-shaped piece of metal Filarmonica 13 Medallion Taurino NOS that is from the last years when the daughter was running things.  I could not hone it, so I sent it to a well-known straight razor person, Glen Mercurio.  Glen could not hone it.  I got that one from Japan on ebay.  I had gotten other Japanese razors from the same seller that were fine.  This one was not.

Was it a JMP stamped razor ? I did not think the Medallion Taurino were made late ( towards the end ) of the Company.

6 1,400
 08-17-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
(08-17-2017, 06:19 PM)Panther308 Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 06:15 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I have 5 great Filarmonicas and one razor-shaped piece of metal Filarmonica 13 Medallion Taurino NOS that is from the last years when the daughter was running things.  I could not hone it, so I sent it to a well-known straight razor person, Glen Mercurio.  Glen could not hone it.  I got that one from Japan on ebay.  I had gotten other Japanese razors from the same seller that were fine.  This one was not.

Was it a JMP stamped razor ? I did not think the Medallion Taurino were made late ( towards the end ) of the Company.

It is the Medallion Taurino Muleta version and  it is not JMP stamped, just the made in Spain stamp and it is just a razor-shaped object.

[Image: THsiqI6.jpg]

21 1,686
 08-18-2017, 12:27 AM
User Info
Medallon Taurino is one of the latest productions in Filarmonica. Really nice looking, but the steel in Novodur or Tridur is better

Enviado desde mi P2 mediante Tapatalk

0 44
 09-26-2017, 03:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I ended up going with this Fili. Excellent shave. Not sure of the composition of the blade, or the full details of what DT means. I will have to research a little more. 

[Image: sF9ixXL.jpg]

76 1,393
 09-26-2017, 06:32 AM
User Info
Nice. You can find some info here.

8 1,210