07-29-2017, 10:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
We'll be in Sonoma, CA in a little over a week. I've booked the Wine Trolley for one day and am looking for other "sure bets." Any suggestions for activities and/or restaurants?

4 1,922
 07-29-2017, 10:04 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(07-29-2017, 10:00 AM)chazt Wrote: We'll be in Sonoma, CA in a little over a week. I've booked the Wine Trolley for one day and am looking for other "sure bets." Any suggestions for activities and/or restaurants?

If you can hit Cline and J wineries, both are great!  Amazing reds and good people!  Another nice one is Acorn.  Very small, limited production, the family works everything.  Super nice folks and also good wine that is not something you'll see on the grocery aisle. If you like Zin then Bella is very nice.  They have caves where they store their wine.  Real smooth.

Enjoy!!

46 931
 07-29-2017, 10:18 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Cool, thanks for the tips, Eric. I'll check them out. There are so many to visit; I don't want to spin my wheels unnecessarily.

Iirc I've had wine from Cline and J wineries here in NYC.

Btw, what are your thoughts re: Bodega Bay, the coast, redwoods, etc.?

4 1,922
 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM
User Info
I'm heavily biased, but a day trip down the 1 to Big Sur is a must. Hard to find a more beautiful drive. Definitely a very full day though.

0 611
 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
A day trip to see the coast would be amazing.  Redwoods are also incredible!

46 931
 07-29-2017, 12:27 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-29-2017, 10:18 AM)chazt Wrote: Btw, what are your thoughts re: Bodega Bay, the coast, redwoods, etc.?

It is a two-hour drive to Willits via Cal 12 north to Calistoga, then NE on 128 to Cloverdale, then north on US 101.

Why Willits? It is the eastern terminus of the Skunk Train to Fort Bragg. https://www.skunktrain.com/

You will not forget the trip.

0 1,049
 07-29-2017, 01:01 PM
User Info
From Sonoma you could take a drive out to Bodega Bay, stop in the town of Bodega and see where Alfred Hitchcock filmed The Birds, and have some seafood on the coast. Then head up the beautiful coast a bit, turn in towards the Russian River, see some redwoods and head back to Sonoma. It wouldn't be too far and makes for a lovely day.

By the way Big Sur is pretty far away and there are landslides down there so I'm not sure how far you are able to go down Highway One- sorry Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 1,652
 07-29-2017, 01:10 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 01:01 PM)number six Wrote: From Sonoma you could take a drive out to Bodega Bay, stop in the town of Bodega and see where Alfred Hitchcock filmed The Birds, and have some seafood on the coast. Then head up the beautiful coast a bit, turn in towards the Russian River, see some redwoods and head back to Sonoma. It wouldn't be too far and makes for a lovely day.

By the way Big Sur is pretty far away and there are landslides down there so I'm not sure how far you are able to go down Highway One- sorry Shane.

You can still get down to the Big Sur Lodge area. That's good enough to get the most scenic portions of the drive. Should be about 4-4.5 hrs on the 1. Then you can save some time on the way back by taking the 101. Definitely a long day, but if you like road trips it's a winner.

0 611
 07-29-2017, 01:27 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 01:10 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: You can still get down to the Big Sur Lodge area. That's good enough to get the most scenic portions of the drive. Should be about 4-4.5 hrs on the 1. Then you can save some time on the way back by taking the 101. Definitely a long day, but if you like road trips it's a winner.

It is one of the most beautiful roads/places in the world. I'm due for a trip. Thanks for the reminder Shane.

10 1,652
 07-29-2017, 01:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-29-2017, 10:18 AM)chazt Wrote: Cool, thanks for the tips, Eric. I'll check them out. There are so many to visit; I don't want to spin my wheels unnecessarily.

Iirc I've had wine from Cline and J wineries here in NYC.

Btw, what are your thoughts re: Bodega Bay, the coast, redwoods, etc.?

Although you can see some nice sequoia groves in Muir Woods near Mt. Tamalpias, if you really, really want the full sequoia sempervirens experience, you have to take US 101 north all the way to exit 663 (the exit number corresponds to the milepost on 101, 663 highway miles north of the Mexican border), to experience the Founders Grove.   Or, to put it in another context, you need to travel 151 miles north from where California 128 joins US 101, at Geyserville, near milepost 512.  

In the Founders Grove, you can walk alongside the fallen trunk of the Dyerville Giant, which fell in a windstorm in 1991; it is truly awe-inspiring.  Nearby is the Founders Tree, which for decades, until 1957, was believed to be the tallest living thing on earth; it may have been, because there remains debate whether a windstorm in the 1950s took a chunk off of the top.  (The title of tallest tree currently is held by the Hyperion tree, which is not far from the Founders Grove, but it requires a hike to reach Hyperion.)  

0 1,049
 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-29-2017, 10:24 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I'm heavily biased, but a day trip down the 1 to Big Sur is a must. Hard to find a more beautiful drive. Definitely a very full day though.

It sounds like something I'd love to do, Shane. A number of folks have also suggested that. Must be gorgeous, I'm sue! It'll have to be for another trip though. Other than SF for Friday through Sunday, we're going to stay strictly in the Sonoma/Napa region.

(07-29-2017, 12:27 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-29-2017, 10:18 AM)chazt Wrote: Btw, what are your thoughts re: Bodega Bay, the coast, redwoods, etc.?

It is a two-hour drive to Willits via Cal 12 north to Calistoga, then NE on 128 to Cloverdale, then north on US 101.

Why Willits? It is the eastern terminus of the Skunk Train to Fort Bragg. https://www.skunktrain.com/

You will not forget the trip.

Thanks, Tom, but this too will have to wait for another trip. Too much car time for our one week away.

(07-29-2017, 01:01 PM)number six Wrote: From Sonoma you could take a drive out to Bodega Bay, stop in the town of Bodega and see where Alfred Hitchcock filmed The Birds, and have some seafood on the coast. Then head up the beautiful coast a bit, turn in towards the Russian River, see some redwoods and head back to Sonoma. It wouldn't be too far and makes for a lovely day.

Chris, Bodega Bay is definitely somewhere I want to go!

4 1,922
 07-30-2017, 11:02 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, gents.

My wife's friend's husband has memberships at two wineries in Napa and has arranged for us to tour those facilities. It will be interesting to note the similarities and differences relative to Finger Lakes and Long Island wineries we've visited.

If anyone feels like adding other ideas, please do. Thanks again Smile

4 1,922