08-27-2017, 01:38 PM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 04:14 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:  The predominant wine shop pinots noirs that I have tasted from other American production regions have tended to come — thanks to that execrable motion picture Sideways — mostly from Paso Robles, and (at least all that I have tasted) are very thick and jammy.  Frankly, I cannot recall ever tasting a wine of any varietal that was sourced from Paso Robles that I liked at all.  As you say, and I agree, YMMV, or degustibus non disputandum est.  

Fort the record, the movie Sideways was filmed in and is about Santa Barbara County. Specifically the Santa Ynez Valley AVA (including the Sta. Rita Hills AVA)  the Santa Maria Valley AVA. The Paso Robles AVA is predominately (if not completely) in San Luis Obispo county.  Different AVAs, different climates. While I would agree that Paso Robles is not an ideal area for Pinot Noir, they are renowned for their Zinfandel and more recently their Rhone varietals. The 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard was Wine Spectator #1 wine in 2010.

You might not find Paso Robles wines to your liking, but I am passionate about the wines produce in this AVA. There are great wines in Paso Robles, you just need to know where to look.

Respectfully

2 336
 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-27-2017, 01:38 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: While I would agree that Paso Robles is not an ideal area for Pinot Noir, they are renowned for their Zinfandel and more recently their Rhone varietals. The 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard was Wine Spectator #1 wine in 2010.

You might not find Paso Robles wines to your liking, but I am passionate about the wines produce in this AVA. There are great wines in Paso Robles, you just need to know where to look.

The Zins that I have liked have tended to be from Lodi, which some of my snobby friends  Rolleyes  look down their noses upon.  As I have indicated earlier in this thread, jammy, sweet, thick wines are not my preference, and — so far — every Paso Robles wine I have tasted could just about be spread on toast with a butter knife.  There is nothing wrong with that; it simply is not a wine for me.  FWIW, in general, I am not a huge fan of most Rhône wines, either, for the same reasons, or most merlots.  Is the Saxum James Berry Vineyard offering a varietal, or is it a blend?

1 1,109