07-29-2017, 06:01 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I am looking, for new shaving brushes.  Ideally, I would only be purchasing two, at most, three, badger hair shaving brushes.  I really prefer "best" over both "pure," and, "finest," but, any grade would do.  I have decided I want one, for each day of the week, I shave, in the evenings.  I have two, with a third, out of commission, and, would like to round out the week.  

So, I have decided that the handles, really, should be marbleized acrylic, as that looks the nicest.  Any neutral, or, cool colour, would work, but, no browns, reds, yellows, etc.   I would love any in white, grey, black, blue, green, blue-green, etc.  

I have Omega, Semogue, and, a custom one.  The custom one is out of commission, and, to be honest, I am thinking of replacing it/removing it from the rotation.  It is a nice brush, but, there are better, to be honest, and, I feel the maker did a sort of "rush job," with mine.  But, I digress.  

So, please recommend to me, your favourite two, or, three shaving brushes.  I would rather go with known makers, rather than some guy from the internet (i.e. Wolf Whiskers, etc) and, would like to keep it under ~ $40.00 - $50.00 USD, absolute maximum, a piece.  I refuse to pay for someone's name.  A regular brush works as well as a fancy one.   

ETA: I forgot to say what I like in a knot/the bristles:

I like a good amount of "back-bone," with a bit of a higher loft, and, a moderate sized knot-width, at base.  They can be any grade, as mentioned, although, I think I would limit myself to one silver-tip, if any, at all.

1 589
 07-29-2017, 06:16 PM
User Info
Take a look at the Zenith and RazoRock Best Badger.  You might also want to look for nice vintage "pure Badger" since that meant only that it was all badger hair and not Badger Cased (Outside badger for looks and the rest boar or nylon).  Art of Shaving also has a nice small Best Badger brush in your price range.

0 153
 07-29-2017, 08:28 PM
User Info
Frankly, for $50 max- I'd prioritize knot first, then handle ergonomics, and finally... at a distant third, handle color. If you are looking at buying three brushes, I'd suggest buying just one premium brush first. Buy a Shavemac. Buy a paladin. Buy a M&F. Buy a Saponificio Varesino. Use the BST to your advantage (I just sold an excellent Shavemac for < $100).

29 1,162
 07-29-2017, 08:44 PM
User Info
I agree with Mike, I'd rather have one great brush vs a bunch of $50 brushes... give me one Paladin brush over 3 razorrock or sterling brushes every single time.

2 465
 07-29-2017, 09:34 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(07-29-2017, 08:44 PM)iShave Wrote: I agree with Mike, I'd rather have one great brush vs a bunch of $50 brushes... give me one Paladin brush over 3 razorrock or sterling brushes every single time.

+1.  Find the brush that "floats your boat" and then buy it.  A $150 brush that you really like and enjoy using is a far better investment than a $50 brush in your storage area.  Look at your budget and decide.  Ask some questions on TSN like bulb vs fan, best for face lathering, best for sensitive skin, etc.

PS: My new Wolf Whiskers brush should arrive Monday.  Guessing with my schedule I will open and use on Tuesday.  Pictures in new acquisitions.  My "floats my boat" brush is my Paladin Sherlock handle, Disco color, bulb, softer knot, nice loft, etc..  A June purchase.

4 417
 07-29-2017, 10:59 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I 100% support the path of keeping an eye on the bst for a premium badger brush. You really won't lose any money when buying from there. A $50 brush new won't fetch much when it comes time to move on to something softer or more in line with what you're going to find you prefer.

10 758
 07-30-2017, 08:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Perhaps first you could, as others have suggested, re-evaluate your budget. Second, take a good look at Elite Razors. Bob Quinn generally always has a very good selection of marble-look handles.

7 2,291
 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM
User Info
Not to pile on, but it is good advice to get one really good brush for around $100-$130 instead of three lower quality brushes for $50. I will also vouch for getting a used brush on BST. I have six badgers and a synthetic in my rotation, and I bought them all on BST. One was brand new and unused, and the rest were in excellent or like new condition. I also had another one that I bought on BST, and then sold. That one was older, but well cared for. A lot of the guys on these forums have huge collections of gear, so some things don't get much use before they try to sell them, usually to get something new. The other good suggestion was Elite Razor. I really don't have anything to say that hasn't been said already by the knowledgeable fellas of TSN.

2 249
 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
If the Thater in this thread were a fan knot I would already own it. http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ght=Thater

2 249