Poll: Two razors, one shave?
 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Two razors, one shave...

Recently I have enjoyed using two razors during my shave. I commence with an aggressive Open Comb such as a FaTip, Joris or R41. I find these to be effective at getting close and removing a lot of growth, but then on subsequent passes I risk a little irritation. So to avoid this I've employed a second razor, the Weber DLC. I switch the blade and complete 1 to 2 more passes. I find the Weber DLC glides comfortably across my face, removing further stubble and allowing for carefree and most importantly comfortable, irritation free touch ups.

I started doing this in my effort to adopt the OC Tradere into my rotation. I found after the first pass with the Tradere I was destined to burn, irritation and the occasional nick. So to avoid this I would use the Weber DLC for subsequent passes, which were required to address areas I'd missed with the Tradere. Unfortunately I just couldn't reach an accord with the Tradere so I sold it. But this technique reacquainted me with the Weber DLC, which I must admit is a very comfortable shaver and not necessarily to the absolute detriment of effectiveness.

Anyway, I've found the combination of an effective OC followed by a smooth Safety Bar provides me with close, comfortable and completely irritation free shaves... and it's a justification for multiple razors!

So does anyone else use two razors?

91 17,829
 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
Ben, i have seen a few gents employ the same method. However, i have never tried it and, probably, do not plan to. i see the logic, but if the original razor that you start with can not do the job it is meant to, then you have an issue, i believe.
Having said this, YMMV, and you do as you please and what works for you. Enjoy the multiple razor shaves, my friend.

75 20,883
 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Ben, I do the same thing sometimes. I start with my Tradere, and use the Weber ARC for the last pass. Beautiful BBS shave.

9 408
 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
Ben
It is like your face is the edge of a straight razor and the changing DE's are like increasing the fineness of your honing stones for the perfect edge. I guess that makes the lather the slurry. Looked at that way, it makes perfect sense.
Oake

5 298
 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This an interesting technique. I have to try it one morning. So an aggressive razor followed by a mild razor.

100 12,440
 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 05:19 PM)oakeshott Wrote: Ben
It is like your face is the edge of a straight razor and the changing DE's are like increasing the fineness of your honing stones for the perfect edge. I guess that makes the lather the slurry. Looked at that way, it makes perfect sense.
Oake

I would say it's more like changing the angle of the straight razor. Second nature to straight razor users, foreign concept for DE users.

9 2,988
 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Now if you asked two brushes, one shave I would have been all over that one!!!! Biggrin

But for me I'll stick to 1 razor to 1 shave.
Well unless you consider that I sometimes use a cheap 2 blade disposable to shave under my arms but use the DE on the legs. But I still voted for No, that's just crazy!

7 405
 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
Ben I think you just described the iKon stainless steel dual personality razor that could have been built but wasn't.

7 414
 08-24-2012, 07:20 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The iKon is certainly a more convenient version for this process and I must admit I didn't appreciate it for what it was when I first acquired one. So kudos to Greg for planting the idea in my head. However, the iKon is a mild shaver and I only ever employ this technique with my most aggressive razors...

91 17,829
 08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 07:20 PM)ben74 Wrote: The iKon is certainly a more convenient version for this process and I must admit I didn't appreciate it for what it was when I first acquired one. So kudos to Greg for planting the idea in my head. However, the iKon is a mild shaver and I only ever employ this technique with my most aggressive razors...

My point is that you're enjoying the same benefits the dual personality iKons could offer if their agressivness had been turned up a few notches,I often wished the closed comb side of the OSS or S3S shaved like a Weber and in my perfect world I wanted the OC side to shave like a pre 1921 Gillette OLD.

7 414
 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(08-24-2012, 07:55 PM)razorx Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 07:20 PM)ben74 Wrote: The iKon is certainly a more convenient version for this process and I must admit I didn't appreciate it for what it was when I first acquired one. So kudos to Greg for planting the idea in my head. However, the iKon is a mild shaver and I only ever employ this technique with my most aggressive razors...

My point is that you're enjoying the same benefits the dual personality iKons could offer if their agressivness had been turned up a few notches,I often wished the closed comb side of the OSS or S3S shaved like a Weber and in my perfect world I wanted the OC side to shave like a pre 1921 Gillette OLD.

Agreed, hence the two other razors instead of the iKon...

91 17,829
 08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
User Info
(08-24-2012, 03:58 PM)ben74 Wrote:
Two razors, one shave...

Recently I have enjoyed using two razors during my shave. I commence with an aggressive Open Comb such as a FaTip, Joris or R41. I find these to be effective at getting close and removing a lot of growth, but then on subsequent passes I risk a little irritation. So to avoid this I've employed a second razor, the Weber DLC. I switch the blade and complete 1 to 2 more passes. I find the Weber DLC glides comfortably across my face, removing further stubble and allowing for carefree and most importantly comfortable, irritation free touch ups.

I started doing this in my effort to adopt the OC Tradere into my rotation. I found after the first pass with the Tradere I was destined to burn, irritation and the occasional nick. So to avoid this I would use the Weber DLC for subsequent passes, which were required to address areas I'd missed with the Tradere. Unfortunately I just couldn't reach an accord with the Tradere so I sold it. But this technique reacquainted me with the Weber DLC, which I must admit is a very comfortable shaver and not necessarily to the absolute detriment of effectiveness.

Anyway, I've found the combination of an effective OC followed by a smooth Safety Bar provides me with close, comfortable and completely irritation free shaves... and it's a justification for multiple razors!

Isn't that why the iKon S3s was introduced??? Dodgy

0 51
 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
User Info
That pretty much describes my usual shaves - an axe (such as my slant) to chop down the forest, then a milder razor to remove the stumps...

One variation though; I don't move the blade from one razor to the next - each razor gets a blade I know work well in it.

Not sure where I picked up the idea, but it must been from a shavingblog somewhere.

3 3,564
 08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(08-24-2012, 10:13 PM)Capn CutThroat Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 03:58 PM)ben74 Wrote:
Two razors, one shave...

Isn't that why the iKon S3s was introduced??? Dodgy

Perhaps, but the iKon is MILD on BOTH the OC and SB, so it isn't effective enough for me. As I wrote above I use an aggressive OC to begin with. I challenge anyone to use the words "iKon S3S" and "aggressive" in the same sentence without the words "is not" inserted between them...

91 17,829
 08-25-2012, 04:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One razor, one blade here. Schick Injector. Two passes, WTG, XTG.

173 23,508
 08-25-2012, 05:02 AM
User Info
Now that would be a heckuva razor!

(08-24-2012, 07:55 PM)razorx Wrote: My point is that you're enjoying the same benefits the dual personality iKons could offer if their agressivness had been turned up a few notches,I often wished the closed comb side of the OSS or S3S shaved like a Weber and in my perfect world I wanted the OC side to shave like a pre 1921 Gillette OLD.

9 1,199
 08-25-2012, 05:10 AM
User Info
Ben, could you use an adjustable for your two razor shave?

0 86
 08-25-2012, 05:39 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
One razor, one blade. I change razors weekly and blades every 3-4 days.

1 3,507
 08-25-2012, 05:41 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(08-25-2012, 05:10 AM)Slim-65 Wrote: Ben, could you use an adjustable for your two razor shave?

Great idea Marty, I hadn't considered that. Now I just need to find an Open Comb adjustable!

91 17,829
 08-25-2012, 05:44 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I know someone who does this,... but in reverse, since mild razors have more trouble with smaller amounts of hair he uses the mild razor first to mow down gently the bulk of his growth, then the aggressive razor second to get the little bits left over in a two pass system but should work in a three pass as well

after he told me that it seemed to make sense... whenever i use my more mild razors i always have to buff with whats left over more chance at irritation, and since almost any razor will take care of the bulk of hair in its first pass it just seemed to make more sense to me....

But i dont use it myself even with my slim its set and forget

3 748