07-31-2017, 05:38 AM
User Info
Prior to 2015, I used Gillette cartridge razors exclusively and when I first started traditional wet shaving, I still used the Gillette Fusion Proglide power, but added a shaving brush, high quality shaving soaps/creams like TOBS and high quality balms and after shaves, like the Sterling balms and Fine splashes.  I have a very coarse beard and am a daily shaver, no beard or moustache.   I was getting great shaves that way but got bitten by the RAD bug and accumulated massive numbers of razors, DE, SE, injector, everything but straights, in search of the holy grail.  The closest I have come to the Fusion has been the General, which is my favorite SE and the Blackbird, my favorite DE.  Even with those, I need to do 4 passes with touch ups for a BBS and I still have some areas in the neck that never get fully smooth.   I recently went back to the Fusion to use on hectic days and now that my technique has improved, it was a revelation how great this razor is!  I can get a smooth as silk BBS in 2 passes plus touchups and get the closest shaves I have ever gotten with any other razor, including those areas in my neck.   I have no issues with cart clogging and I enjoy the power feature, as it feels like a massage and I think does help avoid tugging with carts.   I like the single edge blade at the top for the sideburns and under the nose.  The lube strip is annoying the first shave but settles down after that.  I'll still use the General and Blackbird and others on not as crazy days, but I actually enjoy using carts, go figure.  I still do skin stretching etc. even with a cart and this makes the shave even better.

I spent way much more money on razors than I ever will on carts, so the saving money thing was not in play.  Also, at least for me, I have never gotten razor bumps from carts or irritation and it is almost impossible to nick oneself with a cart.  PS---I even bought the OneBlade V2 and while it's a great razor, it still takes me 4 passes to shave with!   I keep reading members on the forum and elsewhere talking about how you can't get a close shave with a cart and how awful they are. For example, reviewers on Amazon will say this all the time--get a DE razor for a much better shave, etc.  At least for me, modern carts are fantastic and I am glad I went back to using the Fusion Proglide on busy days and for traveling.   I tried the Feather MR3 and neo II and and it's good but not as close a shave as the 5 blade cart.  

Seriously, my RAD is actually cured now and I will stop buying new razors, as I found my Holy Grail in the Fusion!!  Any others with this experience willing to admit it?

1 87
 07-31-2017, 05:55 AM
User Info
Congratulations on finding a razor that works so well, for you. 
I have revisited quite a few cartridge razors and I still cannot get a good shave from them. They always require much too many passes and touch-ups, and I still cannot get as close of a shave as I do with my DEs. 
YMMV, as always. 

Enjoy your shaves.  Shy

82 21,056
 07-31-2017, 06:02 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Word. 

My best performing razor is my fusion. I prefer the older Orange fusion carts with a Muhle or Plisson handle. 

I still very much enjoy using my DE razors. But for me, nothing works as well as a Fusion cart. Irritation-free BBS every time. My goal (for years) has been to try to get a DE to perform as well as my Fusion. 

We must have skin that is made for the Fusion, as most guys have the opposite experience. And no doubt learning the proper wet shaving technique has made the Fusion cart far more effective. 

There  are also some very nice razors made for the Fusion, so the RAD may continue!!!

[Image: 1GkgDCH.jpg]

159 1,315
 07-31-2017, 06:14 AM
User Info
Like you, I use a Fusion cartridge on busy days and get a fine shave with it.  The shave seems better now that I've been using DE's and SE's for a while so I do think technique does come into play.  But, I still get much closer to BBS with a DE or SE razor, so when I have time, I always go that route.

0 168
 07-31-2017, 07:55 AM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 06:02 AM)Steelman Wrote: Word. 

My best performing razor is my fusion. I prefer the older Orange fusion carts with a Muhle or Plisson handle. 

I still very much enjoy using my DE razors. But for me, nothing works as well as a Fusion cart. Irritation-free BBS every time. My goal (for years) has been to try to get a DE to perform as well as my Fusion. 

We must have skin that is made for the Fusion, as most guys have the opposite experience. And no doubt learning the proper wet shaving technique has made the Fusion cart far more effective. 

There  are also some very nice razors made for the Fusion, so the RAD may continue!!!

[Image: 1GkgDCH.jpg]

Beautiful handle and stand!  Glad others have my experience as well!   I definitely feel good software and technique come into play in getting great shaves from the Fusion.

1 87
 07-31-2017, 01:28 PM
User Info
Like Ron Steelman says: WORD !!!!!!!!!!!

My story is similar to yours.

I have very rough stiff coarse beard for a Scandinavian guy.
My beard area is symmetrical and full, so I get beard stubble all over the bearded area, where I see other men having empty spots.

I started using a Gillette Sensor back in the late 80's, when I was a teen, because the top end Braun and Philip electrics could not manage to shave my neck and chin area, no matter how much I tried.

I used canned goo, and it was still far better than the electric razor, though I did encounter some razor burn, if I overshaved.

Then I started using skin care products in my 20's and also found new after shave balms and finally ended up buying a Pils badger brush, a Pils Gillette Sensor razor and a shaving cream (a mediocre expensive one from Clinique, believe it or not - this was just before the internet arrived)

That showed me for the first time, what using a brush and a cream could do to my shaves performance wise.
Then came Mach 3, which impoved my shaves further and finally Fusion Orange came and improved my shaves even more.

In 2011 I really began getting into wetshaving on the forums, and started my buying craze, and soon owned literally 100's of shaving creams/soaps, DE and SE razors, blades in 1000's, bowls, and 100's of expensive badger brushes.

Yet still, when I used my Fusion razor, I got fantastic shaves.
The more I used my DE razors, the better my technique became, and this improved even further to the quality of my Fusion cart shaves.

In 2014 I sold my circa 70-80 DE razors, and collected the best Fusion cart handles I could buy from Mühle, Edwin Jagger, PLisson, Aqua di Parma and Pils and soon discovered my improved technique yet again lifted the quality of the shaves I could get with my Fusion carts to new heights.

I also stretch my skin a bit when shaving with the Fusion.
I also found, that adding a 2.nd pass with the 3 blade Mach 3 could give me even closer shaves without irritation, yet I need the Fusion for the first pass, because the Mach 3 is better for precision for me, and not so good for my very tough stiff stubbles.

I can shave a 5 days growth off in 3 passes using my Fusion and Mach 3 final pass, and as long as I rinse the cart for every stroke, it will not cloq.
I rinse it under warm running water.

I shave with my Fusion and Mach 3 using light pressure, not hard pressure.

My preference is like Ron's.

Orange Fusion (Original) is less sharp, but holds its edge for longer and is milder and more comfortable for me.
Blue/green (2.nd version) Fusion is sharper, but gets duller faster and is a bit less comfortable for me.
Yellow Fusion (3.rd and latest version) is EXTREMELY sharp, and the extra Aloe-vera makes it too slippery for me, but after 3-5 shaves it has been tamed and the strip of jelly is gone, it shaves very well.

I strop my Fusion cart anbd Mach 3 cart with my thumb 5-8 times pr. shave and also use the Razorpitt, which gives me 15-20 shaves pr. cart now.
I used to only get 4-5 good shaves with the Fusion carts, until I started to strop them before, during and after the shave.

My RAD is cured. I haven't bought a new razor since December 2016. I own 8 Fusion cart and 6 Mach 3 carts (all with luxury handles)
Same with brushes. Have sold 100+ badger and 25+ synthetc brushes, and now am down to 12 Prime badgers and 12 synthetics (I rarely if ever use my synthetics, so I should really sell them too)
Still own 200-300 shaving soaps and creams, but have only bought 6-8 soaps since December 2016.
I face lather only.

Nice to hear your story, as it reminds me so much of my own story.

24 5,839
 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 01:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Like Ron Steelman says: WORD !!!!!!!!!!!

My story is similar to yours.

I have very rough stiff beard and coarse for a Scandinavian guy.
My beard area is symmetrical and full, so I get beard stubble all over the bearded area, where I see other men having empty spots.

I started using a Gillette Sensor back in the late 80's, when I was a teen, because the top end Braun and Philip electrics could not manage to shave my neck and chin area, no matter how much I tried.

I used canned goo, and it was still far better than the electric razor, though I did encounter some razor burn, if I overshaved.

Then I started using skin care products in my 20's and also found new after shave balms and finally ended up buying a Pils badger brush, a Pils Gillette Sensor razor and a shaving cream (a mediocre expensive one from Clinique, believe it or not - this was just before the internet arrived)

That showed me for the first time, what using a brush and a cream could do to my shaves performance wise.
Then came Mach 3, which impoved my shaves further and finally Fusion Orange came and improved my shaves even more.

In 2011 I really began getting into wetshaving on the forums, and started my buying craze, and soon owned literally 100's of shaving creams/soaps, DE and SE razors, blades in 1000's, bowls, and 100's of expensive badger brushes.

Yet still, when I used my Fusion razor, I got fantastic shaves.
The more I used my DE razors, the better my technique became, and this improved even further to the quality of my Fusion cart shaves.

In 2014 I sold my circa 70-80 DE razors, and collected the best Fusion cart handles I could buy from Mühle, Edwin Jagger, PLisson, Aqua di Parma and Pils and soon discovered my improved technique yet again lifted the quality of the shaves I could get with my Fusion carts to new heights.

I also stretch my skin a bit when shaving with the Fusion.
I also found, that adding a 2.nd pass with the 3 blade Mach 3 could give me even closer shaves without irritation, yet I need the Fusion for the first pass, because the Mach 3 is better for precision for me, and not so good for my very tough stiff stubbles.

I can shave a 5 days growth off in 3 passes using my Fusion and Mach 3 final pass, and as long as I rinse the cart for every stroke, it will not cloq.
I rinse it under warm running water.

I shave with my Fusion and Mach 3 using light pressure, not hard pressure.

My preference is like Ron's.

Orange Fusion (Original) is less sharp, but holds its edge for longer and is milder and more comfortable for me.
Blue/green (2.nd version) Fusion is sharper, but gets duller faster and is a bit less comfortable for me.
Yellow Fusion (3.rd and latest version) is EXTREMELY sharp, and the extra Aloe-vera makes it too slippery for me, but after 3-5 shaves it has been tamed and the strip of jelly is gone, it shaves very well.

I strop my Fusion cart anbd Mach 3 cart with my thumb 5-8 times pr. shave and also use the Razorpitt, which gives me 15-20 shaves pr. cart now.
I used to only get 4-5 good shaves with the Fusion carts, until I started to strop them before, during and after the shave.

My RAD is cured. I haven't bought a new razor since December 2016. I own 8 Fusion cart and 6 Mach 3 carts (all with luxury handles)
Same with brushes. Have sold 100+ badger and 25+ synthetc brushes, and now am down to 12 Prime badgers and 12 synthetics (I rarely if ever use my synthetics, so I should really sell them too)
Still own 200-300 shaving soaps and creams, but have only bought 6-8 soaps since December 2016.
I face lather only.

Nice to hear your story, as it reminds me so much of my own story.

Thanks so much Claus for sharing your story! It is very much like mine. I suspect I'll be selling off some of my collection as well. At one point I was on an injector kick and collected practically one of every injector ever made! Now that's RAD! After all that, the injectors are like early versions of carts but still don't shave as well as the Fusion.
Am I missing something? What do you mean by WORD? Acronym?

Ken

1 87
 08-02-2017, 08:02 AM
User Info
I too have come full circle back to carts but my choice is the Mach3. It gives me an irritation free BBS every time I do a 3 passes. I've tried the standard M3 and Turbo handles but I prefer the powered handle. I don't know why it works better but it's smoother than the non powered version. Unfortunately, they aren't sold in the US anymore. I have 300 M3 turbo carts that I bought for 60 cents a piece so I have years worth of shaves on deck. I also get at least 15+ shaves per cart if I rinse it off with rubbing alcohol.

[Image: 6LJd_x.jpg]

Also word is slang meaning:
1) well said
2) said in a agreement
3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

0 9
 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
 08-02-2017, 09:49 AM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 08:38 AM)Steelman Wrote: [Image: a4tPMlu.jpg]

Cool--thanks for clearing that one up (word)---I never heard that used before like that.  Congrats, DE Cartman, on your success with the Mach 3.   I haven't tried Mach 3, but I can see after using the Feather MR3 that it would be nice as well, but would probably take even more passes/touchups for my tough beard.

1 87
 08-02-2017, 02:09 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I never ventured into DE/SE territory but always used carts - blasphemy, I know...  Biggrin

What I did change in 2011: I got rid of canned shaving cream and replaced it with the brush/shaving soap routine. This significantly improved my skin prep - and voila I even get better shaves now with a cart than I did before. And I enjoy the brush routine on top of it.

Back in the days, I used a Gillette Sensor then upgraded to Mach 3. I did use the Fusion blades briefly, but the the five blades did not serve as well (both size of the head and sharpness of the five blades). I returned quickly to the Mach 3 and that is my weapon of choice still today.

I change the cart once a week, i.e. get 7 comfortable shaves out of it. I could probably add a few more, but I prefer to change before it starts pulling.

35 1,808
 08-06-2017, 08:18 AM
User Info
+1 on the Mad Love for the Fusion. I have a similar story to those posted. Shaving was a hated activity for many years. Discovered the world of wet shaving, and I set off on my quest for better shaves. Tried several DEs and a couple SEs along the way. Then got curious to try cartridges again with my improved technique. Tried the Fusion initially, but was getting some irritation after awhile. Put it down and went on to various other things. Then decided to revisit it again because I had been also using other razors intermittently during the same periood, so I wanted to try it with reduced variables. Now having used it exclusively for a month and half, I can say it's a wonderful razor for me. Smooth, close, with no irriation.

I'm glad others who cannot use cartridges have found what works for them. For me, my Fusion Proglide blades on a Bolin Webb bring me joy. Just finished up with a lazy Sunday late day shave - Fusion + Chubby 2 Best + Tabac + PAA Artic Bay Rum. Love it. Smile

16 272
 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 08:18 AM)Journeyman Wrote: +1 on the Mad Love for the Fusion. I have a similar story to those posted. Shaving was a hated activity for many years. Discovered the world of wet shaving, and I set off on my quest for better shaves. Tried several DEs and a couple SEs along the way. Then got curious to try cartridges again with my improved technique. Tried the Fusion initially, but was getting some irritation after awhile. Put it down and went on to various other things. Then decided to revisit it again because I had been also using other razors intermittently during the same periood, so I wanted to try it with reduced variables. Now having used it exclusively for a month and half, I can say it's a wonderful razor for me. Smooth, close, with no irriation.

I'm glad others who cannot use cartridges have found what works for them. For me, my Fusion Proglide blades on a Bolin Webb bring me joy. Just finished up with a lazy Sunday late day shave - Fusion + Chubby 2 Best + Tabac + PAA Artic Bay Rum. Love it. Smile

Awesome!   I like the looks of the Bolin Webb handles.   I may just end up getting one.

1 87
 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 08:38 AM)kenloupa Wrote:
(08-06-2017, 08:18 AM)Journeyman Wrote: +1 on the Mad Love for the Fusion. I have a similar story to those posted. Shaving was a hated activity for many years. Discovered the world of wet shaving, and I set off on my quest for better shaves. Tried several DEs and a couple SEs along the way. Then got curious to try cartridges again with my improved technique. Tried the Fusion initially, but was getting some irritation after awhile. Put it down and went on to various other things. Then decided to revisit it again because I had been also using other razors intermittently during the same periood, so I wanted to try it with reduced variables. Now having used it exclusively for a month and half, I can say it's a wonderful razor for me. Smooth, close, with no irriation.

Awesome!   I like the looks of the Bolin Webb handles.   I may just end up getting one.

I own it also. Great solid grip. I use mine in the shower for shower head shaves.

It's a bit light for my preference, but I also gave one Bolin Webb Fusion to my father as a gift, and he loves it.

24 5,839
 08-09-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info

If you're looking, do consider tactile turn, who I believe made some TSN pens. I recently purchased a fusion handle for my travel razor, and it's quite nice. 

[Image: Tactile+Turn+Both-4.jpg?format=1500w]

26 984
 08-10-2017, 02:11 AM
User Info
Mike, Tactile Turn did make the solid brass 2017 TSN LE pen, which is a great pen.  I've seen these handles on the Tactile Turn website and they look very nice.  Did you get the stainless or titanium?

48 5,709
 08-10-2017, 04:30 AM
User Info
(08-09-2017, 07:52 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

If you're looking, do consider tactile turn, who I believe made some TSN pens. I recently purchased a fusion handle for my travel razor, and it's quite nice. 

[Image: Tactile+Turn+Both-4.jpg?format=1500w]

I purchased the titanium fusion handle from Tactile Turn and it is very well made and looks classy. I also got a red/silver Bolin Webb handle as well.  Might as well enjoy the luxury experience on the carts as well!

1 87
 08-10-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
Indeed! Enjoy them!

16 272
 08-10-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 02:11 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Mike, Tactile Turn did make the solid brass 2017 TSN LE pen, which is a great pen.  I've seen these handles on the Tactile Turn website and they look very nice.  Did you get the stainless or titanium?

I picked up the SS version, as I prefer heavier handles. It's solid!

26 984
 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
User Info
I am mostly back to carts due to essential tremor that sometimes makes DE shaving colorful. I also found the technique developed with a DE gave great results with a cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 150