07-31-2017, 06:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
A little over a year ago I was looking for a new grill and a number of  forum members suggested ceramic grills. I, at first, suffered from a bit of sticker shock but finally pulled the trigger on a Big Green Egg a month or so ago. I just want to thank everyone who suggested it; it has been a game changer. You can do pretty much anything from low and slow smoking, to baking to grilling. Everything I have made has turned out great.

[Image: 79nBJhC.jpg][Image: RzlLzre.jpg][Image: 4eIOgvu.jpg] [Image: p5Sc0YA.jpg]

46 18,076
 07-31-2017, 06:48 AM
User Info
The ceramic grills (BGE for me also) are indeed awesome, Phil.  Glad you are "hooked"!   Thumbup

73 4,269
 07-31-2017, 06:52 AM
User Info
These threads have me wanting one, too, especially because I want to start smoking some meats.  I have a co-worker who swears by his.  Looks like a BGE is in my future!

0 168
 07-31-2017, 06:58 AM
User Info
We've had one in the courtyard of our co-op apartment building, available for use by all residents.
I haven't ever tried it (though a neighbor uses it a lot).

Maybe now I will try!

8 896
 07-31-2017, 06:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-31-2017, 06:48 AM)TexBilly Wrote: The ceramic grills (BGE for me also) are indeed awesome, Phil.  Glad you are "hooked"!   Thumbup

Not only hooked but in full AD mode. Biggrin

46 18,076
 07-31-2017, 07:01 AM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 06:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 06:48 AM)TexBilly Wrote: The ceramic grills (BGE for me also) are indeed awesome, Phil.  Glad you are "hooked"!   Thumbup

Not only hooked but in full AD mode. Biggrin
It is a slippery (but fun) slope!  Tongue

73 4,269
 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've wanted one of these grills for some time, but I haven't been able to get over the sticker shock.  I realise that BGE is the creme de la creme of ceramic grills, but aren't there less expensive alternatives that don't sacrifice quality or performance?

5 883
 07-31-2017, 01:54 PM
User Info
Mmmm, no BGE isn't the creme de la creme. It's just the most well known. I know lots of folks who still have their BGEs but bought another brand because of the increased versatility and the fact that briskets and ribs aren't round in shape.

But I don't want to start a peeing contest. There are many factors that go into the choice. Research it. Just don't ask ATK. They're stuck in the Webber mindset and other media outlets claim that they aren't versatile. What hogwash! A complete lack of understanding of the ceramic cooker. But then most of those media sources don't know the difference between BBQ and grilling.

32 6,445
 07-31-2017, 02:09 PM
User Info
Congrats on your grill.  In 1961 my parent's received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift.  My father used it until he passed in 2013.  I grew up with iit. Now, I have a pair of Kamado Joe grills (18" and 13.5") and use them multiple times a week year round.  I had a tough time with my first one as it was a big purchase, not like a Komodo Kamado, but big for me.  What got did it for me was realizing that my father used his for over 50 years and it could be my last grill purchase ever.  I have grilled, roasted, smoked, cold smoked, seared, braised, and baked (pizzas, breads, deserts) on the kamado and generally have a great time using it.  Here are some pork belly burnt ends I just did yesterday.  Enjoy your cooker.

[Image: oh28TKz.jpg]

18 586
 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 08:16 AM)Rufus Wrote: I've wanted one of these grills for some time, but I haven't been able to get over the sticker shock.  I realise that BGE is the creme de la creme of ceramic grills, but aren't there less expensive alternatives that don't sacrifice quality or performance?

Yes they are expensive, but when it could be the last grill you ever purchase, it isn't so bad spread out over 30 or 40 years.  There are a number of brands out there.  Whatever you do, research the company and the warranty before you buy.  Many of these grills come with a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser but it is not transferable.  Ceramic breaks and needs to be replaced.  Without the warranty, you could be looking at a considerable amount to replace a broken firebox, etc.  Until you have some experience under your belt and know what to look for, I would stay away from used ones on craigslist etc.  Often time good deals aren't.

18 586
 07-31-2017, 02:29 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 08:16 AM)Rufus Wrote: I've wanted one of these grills for some time, but I haven't been able to get over the sticker shock.  I realise that BGE is the creme de la creme of ceramic grills, but aren't there less expensive alternatives that don't sacrifice quality or performance?

One can spend much more and actually get something is arguably better. See https://komodokamado.com. I've had the BGE for 30 years, have not upgraded yet...

0 19
 07-31-2017, 02:33 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-31-2017, 02:09 PM)PanChango Wrote: Congrats on your grill.  In 1961 my parent's received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift.  My father used it until he passed in 2013.  I grew up with iit. Now, I have a pair of Kamado Joe grills (18" and 13.5") and use them multiple times a week year round.  I had a tough time with my first one as it was a big purchase, not like a Komodo Kamado, but big for me.  What got did it for me was realizing that my father used his for over 50 years and it could be my last grill purchase ever.  I have grilled, roasted, smoked, cold smoked, seared, braised, and baked (pizzas, breads, deserts) on the kamado and generally have a great time using it.  Here are some pork belly burnt ends I just did yesterday.  Enjoy your cooker.

[Image: oh28TKz.jpg]

Wow...that looks great Dale!

46 18,076
 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 02:33 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 02:09 PM)PanChango Wrote: Congrats on your grill.  In 1961 my parent's received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift.  My father used it until he passed in 2013.  I grew up with iit. Now, I have a pair of Kamado Joe grills (18" and 13.5") and use them multiple times a week year round.  I had a tough time with my first one as it was a big purchase, not like a Komodo Kamado, but big for me.  What got did it for me was realizing that my father used his for over 50 years and it could be my last grill purchase ever.  I have grilled, roasted, smoked, cold smoked, seared, braised, and baked (pizzas, breads, deserts) on the kamado and generally have a great time using it.  Here are some pork belly burnt ends I just did yesterday.  Enjoy your cooker.

Wow...that looks great Dale!

Thanks Phil.  It was the second time I made them and they are a winner.

18 586
 07-31-2017, 04:55 PM
User Info
Love my Primo

13 466
 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info

If you have a BGE dealer near you, you could get a great deal on a used BGE.  Sometimes people want to upgrade their current BGE, or they want a smaller size, and they want to sell their current BGE before they purchase a new grill.  My BGE dealer has a list of people who want to sell their BGE so they can upgrade or downgrade.  I was able to get a great deal on a used XLBGE my dealer sold a new BGE, everyone was a winner.  It can't hurt to ask if your BGE dealer does anything like that.

8 1,289
 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 05:37 PM)Sully Wrote:

If you have a BGE dealer near you, you could get a great deal on a used BGE.  Sometimes people want to upgrade their current BGE, or they want a smaller size, and they want to sell their current BGE before they purchase a new grill.  My BGE dealer has a list of people who want to sell their BGE so they can upgrade or downgrade.  I was able to get a great deal on a used XLBGE my dealer sold a new BGE, everyone was a winner.  It can't hurt to ask if your BGE dealer does anything like that.
Shawn, I'm assuming you're referring to BBQ Outfitters - might have to look into that when I can justify getting an XL Egg.  Nice tip!  Cool

73 4,269
 08-01-2017, 02:21 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-31-2017, 02:29 PM)challer Wrote:

One can spend much more and actually get something is arguably better. See https://komodokamado.com. I've had the BGE for 30 years, have not upgraded yet...

Yikes, I had no idea. Blush Those babies make the BGE look like a bargain.  I don't know if they're even sold in Canada, but that would be purely academic for me.

5 883
 08-01-2017, 03:04 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(07-31-2017, 06:12 PM)TexBilly Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 05:37 PM)Sully Wrote:

Shawn, I'm assuming you're referring to BBQ Outfitters - might have to look into that when I can justify getting an XL Egg.  Nice tip!  Cool

That's exactly who I'm referring to Bill.  I was looking at an Xl Primo, by the time I had it all priced out I was having a severe case of sticker shock.  The salesman who was helping me suggested I buy used.  I haven't regretted it at all.

8 1,289
 08-01-2017, 06:16 AM
User Info
(08-01-2017, 02:21 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 02:29 PM)challer Wrote:

Yikes, I had no idea. Blush Those babies make the BGE look like a bargain.  I don't know if they're even sold in Canada, but that would be purely academic for me.

Bryan, they can be purchased in Canada. Or let me rephrase that, they can be had in Canada. I know of a lady in NS who has a Kamado Kamado. I have no idea how she acquired it.

32 6,445
 08-01-2017, 07:16 PM
User Info
Wow. Great-looking eats! I'm considering one of these, too, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2 106