07-31-2017, 10:58 AM
User Info
Received a package yesterday from Alastair (Owner/Operator) of Westholme Strops and he sent me several of his strops to test:

From L to R are Roo, Spanish Horse Hide and Cordovan, Kanayama is far right and my other strops are under these.

The Roo has a very different feel and draw to me is a medium heavy, the Spanish Horse Hide is a light draw and the Cordovan which is his personal strop of several years is a light to glassy draw, he wanted to send me a Cordovan that was broken in so i could get an idea of the draw.

Even though both his Cordovan and Kanayama is Cordovan they both exibit a very different draw and feel.
[Image: UoactRG.jpg]

6 1,256
 07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
User Info
I like a light draw, so for me it would be the horsehide and cordovan.  I had a Roo strop many years ago, but sold it because the draw was too heavy.

48 5,716
 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 11:36 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I like a light draw, so for me it would be the horsehide and cordovan.  I had a Roo strop many years ago, but sold it because the draw was too heavy.

Yes the Roo seems a tad heavy and depending on the blade used it's almost sticky with firm pressure, not sure I like that, the Spanish Horside and Cordovan are much smoother and lighter, actually the Spanish HH is very close to my TM Italian HH

6 1,256
 07-31-2017, 01:00 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 12:45 PM)Panther308 Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 11:36 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I like a light draw, so for me it would be the horsehide and cordovan.  I had a Roo strop many years ago, but sold it because the draw was too heavy.

Yes the Roo seems a tad heavy and depending on the blade used it's almost sticky with firm pressure, not sure I like that, the Spanish Horside and Cordovan are much smoother and lighter, actually the Spanish HH is very close to my TM Italian HH

I missed out on the TM HH strops, which I regret.

With shell cordovan, the draw can sometimes seem almost too light.  You used the word "glassy" and I think that's a good choice.

48 5,716
 07-31-2017, 01:09 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 01:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 12:45 PM)Panther308 Wrote:

Yes the Roo seems a tad heavy and depending on the blade used it's
almost sticky with firm pressure, not sure I like that, the Spanish Horside and Cordovan are much smoother and lighter, actually the Spanish HH is very close to my TM Italian HH

I missed out on the TM HH strops, which I regret.

With shell cordovan, the draw can sometimes seem almost too light.  You used the word "glassy" and I think that's a good choice.

Yes I love the TM HH, Tony and me had been chatting and I told him i wanted a different strop and he came back to me many, many weeks later and said he had found some Italian HH in his shop that he used to make what he called 'Grandpa Strops" with, the leather is not as pretty and the handles have an antique finish to them to make it appear quite old and used so i purchased two of them with an extra piece of leather, I gave one to my son and other to me witha spare leather topper. My son ended up not liking his so i sold it off, stupid on my part as now that it's broke in it's really nice.

Here is a pic of it right after getting:

[Image: 8S9NcIS.jpg]

[Image: vjk3eiQ.jpg]

6 1,256
 08-15-2017, 04:34 PM
User Info
Just a quick update, I have moved from the Kangaroo to Italian HH, the Roo althought very nice just has way to much draw for my preference  so am testing the HH for the next 10-14 days.

I honestly wanted to like the Roo as I don't have a Roo strop but depending on the razor used it's almost magnetic, i know strop draw is very subjective and what I consider medium heavy another user might consider light medium but if a strop is nor comfortable fore the end user and you end up stropping incorrectly it's not going you do your razor or strop any good, Alsatair from Westhome advised that the Italian HH is supposed to have a heavier draw but he backed it with veg tanned HH to add some rigidness to it and still remain flexible but stated doing so may have taken away some of the draw.

So after testing this one I will move on to his cordovan

6 1,256