08-01-2017, 08:16 PM
User Info
(08-01-2017, 03:06 PM)asiliski Wrote: i don't know why people use propylene glycol in soaps.  it also goes by the name antifreeze.  check autozone the next time you are there.  Fragrance oils are really hit or miss i think.  I don't like using them, but some scents you really can't get with essential oils.  I have never used a soap with lanolin.  What is it used for and why do you guys not like it?

Ethylene glycol is the main ingredient in antifreeze and is poisonous when ingested and has a Hazard rating of 2/1/0 on the NFPA Hazard Diamond https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun...ene_glycol

Propylene gycol is a huemectant, and is used in the Food industry, which includes antifreeze systems preserving food, when leakage is possible, Pharmaceuticals and inhalators, Fog machines, cosmetics and as an e-cig base liquid, it has a Hazard rating of 0/1/0 on the NFPA Hazard Diamond. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/tox...?toxid=240

1 181
 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM
User Info
(08-01-2017, 08:40 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Propylene glycol, because it indicates that the product in question isn't really a shaving soap.

I'd say that about SLS/ Sodium Laurel Sulfate, I see SLS used in lots of commercial hand & bath soaps, which makes them more of a detergent.
I switched to a 4 ingredient, Traditional Greek Olive Oil soap 7 years ago and haven't looked back, found it on-line.

1 181
 08-02-2017, 02:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don't like menthol in my shaving cream, but I love it in my aftershave splash.  I'm not a fan of peppermint or spearmint in either my shaving cream or my aftershave splash.

7 934
 08-02-2017, 07:14 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I'm a bit skeptical of identifying single ingredients to stay away from other than simple personal preferences like menthol or fragrances.

For example, I've observed the negative comments about SLS and similar compounds. Recently I tried Antica Barbiera Colla shampoos (alghe, or seaweed, and almond) and have to say that they are the best shampoos that I've tried and my scalp likes them very much. And they should be good at the price point typical of ABC products. They contain SLS and lather very little.

There are other negative comments about the properties of coconut oil, for example 'it's drying' or other lather properties. True, a pure coconut oil soap will leave you with nothing on your skin, but none of the Italian creams like AdP or ABC have been said to be drying, nor has Castle Forbes.

So I believe that there is more to it than a simple 'it contains X, therefore it's bad'.

But it is an interesting thread.

Cheers, Steve

7 540
 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 07:14 AM)Steve56 Wrote: I'm a bit skeptical of identifying single ingredients to stay away from other than simple personal preferences like menthol or fragrances.

For example, I've observed the negative comments about SLS and similar compounds. Recently I tried Antica Barbiera Colla shampoos (alghe, or seaweed, and almond) and have to say that they are the best shampoos that I've tried and my scalp likes them very much. And they should be good at the price point typical of ABC products. They contain SLS and lather very little.

There are other negative comments about the properties of coconut oil, for example 'it's drying' or other lather properties. True, a pure coconut oil soap will leave you with nothing on your skin, but none of the Italian creams like AdP or ABC have been said to be drying, nor has Castle Forbes.

So I believe that there is more to it than a simple 'it contains X, therefore it's bad'.  

But it is an interesting thread.

Cheers, Steve
While I agree with you in general, there are clearly exceptions.  In this thread, for example, there was one person who can't use a soap with lanolin in it, regardless of the amount.  

In my case, I can't use soaps or shampoos that have SLS in them.  Period.  I had horrible dandruff, diagnosed as "seborrhea" by multiple dermatologists, and requiring treatment with prescription shampoos.  In reality it was just a reaction to SLS.  I have been using MW shampoo bars for the past 5 years or so, and my dandruff problem disappeared within about two weeks of starting and has not returned.  So, for me, SLS is an absolute no-go.  

But overall, I agree with your assessment.

2 1,554
 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
Too much glycerin in aftershaves leaves me with a sticky face. Not a fan of too much coconut oil in my soaps, either. The lather explodes and looks great, but always feels like it doesn't really protect my face like tallow does.

7 80
 08-02-2017, 09:40 AM
User Info
Menthol.

1 297
 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Skin sensitivities isn't an issue with me so fragrance oils, lanolin ( i want that actually) etc. aren't a problem. Neither are coloring agents (again, I kinda like a wee bit of color now and then). There are ingredients and certain sequences of ingredients that I wont buy in soaps or creams for reasons of lather quality but i dont keep that info in my head and I'm not where I have access to that list at the moment but I  know many here can attest to my statement.

7 2,360
 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM
User Info
Cinnamon

3 173
 08-03-2017, 06:36 AM
User Info
Ghost Pepper

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 88
 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM
User Info
Cinammon oil, Menthol and now based upon reading this thread, Propylene Glycol. 

Anyway too much unrecognizable and chemical sounding ingredients makes me take a second look. This is why I appreciate Saponificio Varesino and their way of being upfront plus their explanation of their ingredients list.

11 1,170
 08-21-2017, 05:18 PM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 06:36 AM)jaxstraww Wrote: Ghost Pepper

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

Ghost pepper?  I never thought to put that into a soap!

0 173
 09-26-2017, 05:46 PM
User Info
(08-01-2017, 08:29 PM)TommyGuns59 Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 08:40 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Propylene glycol, because it indicates that the product in question isn't really a shaving soap.

I'd say that about SLS/ Sodium Laurel Sulfate, I see SLS used in lots of commercial hand & bath soaps, which makes them more of a detergent.
I switched to a 4 ingredient, Traditional Greek Olive Oil soap 7 years ago and haven't looked back, found it on-line.

What bar soap do you use?

0 173
 09-28-2017, 08:14 AM
User Info
None unless they smell bad.

0 171
 09-28-2017, 11:50 AM
User Info
I'm trying to avoid soaps that contain parabens, paraffin, petrolatum, propylene glycol, sls.

0 16
 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM
User Info
all of these types of ingredients seem useless for me.  I prefer less ingredients.

0 173
 10-05-2017, 10:32 PM
User Info
Triethanolamine is found in some soaps/creams.
It's not good for you but yet it's bunged in to cosmetics, soaps, etc.
Look at 'Captains Choice, Bay Rum Cream' for example (yep, I bought some, but then I read the ingredients list)...

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauric Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Fragrance (Essential Oil/Natural Fragrance Blend), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Triethanolamine, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Hydroxide.

Really? All that to make a shaving cream? And notice the 'Triethanolamine' in there.
That product is not recommended for extended use.
May be OK if you have a variety of soaps/creams to use in rotation, but not what you would want to use on a daily basis.
Never mind, I have Haslinger to fall back on.
Cella (which I also bought) contains 'Tetrasodium EDTA'. Another product that is not too smart to use...contains a preservative made from Formaldehyde.
This wet shaving can be bad for your health by the look of it.
I guess it all comes down to the actual amount of the bad stuff in the soap/cream, and how your body reacts to it.
It's probably safe for most of us to use, and just ignore the ingredients list, but if you are not a healthy individual this may be something you don't need in your daily intake.

0 10
 10-06-2017, 07:36 AM
User Info
I think tetrasodium EDTA is probably OK.  As far as I can tell, it's main sin is that it increases absorption of other ingredients in the formulation.  So I guess if it also contained parabens, etc., it would be bad.  

But a soap with otherwise good ingredients that adds tetrasodium EDTA to it doesn't really alarm me much.  Just my opinion.

2 1,554
 10-12-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent, used to sequester and decrease the reactivity of metal ions that may be present in a product.  in short, it is a water softener/lather booster.  citric acid, sodium lactate, and tussah silk all do the same thing but are a bit more 'natural'

0 173
 10-12-2017, 07:24 AM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
(10-12-2017, 06:51 AM)asiliski Wrote: EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent, used to sequester and decrease the reactivity of metal ions that may be present in a product.  in short, it is a water softener/lather booster.  citric acid, sodium lactate, and tussah silk all do the same thing but are a bit more 'natural'

Spot on, and there is an ingredients which seems to be safe, some companies are starting to use it, but it has a long name Smile 
Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate

0 27