08-01-2017, 09:45 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Let's face it -we all have a bit of an addictive personality trait or, we would not be here. I recently pulled the trigger on a Green Egg Ceramic Grill and that, in turn, sparked a new acquisition disorder. Cooking Implements. As the mailman keeps bringing me new goodies, a light bulb went off in my head. Certainly I cannot be alone with this disorder. It is time to fess up. What new cooking tools have you received this month? Since this is a new thread, you can cheat and go back a month or two.

46 18,610
 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
As stated...I picked this up in late June. It was the beginning of a slippery slope.

[Image: Gx7QLSq.jpg]

46 18,610
 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM
User Info
I'm in.  Been upgrading everything in the kitchen lately.  New arrival a few weeks back was new JA Henckels cutlery.  Love it!

Still considering a BGE, but new truck accessories come first!  Maybe later this fall.

0 177
 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-01-2017, 10:17 AM)Red One Wrote: I'm in.  Been upgrading everything in the kitchen lately.  New arrival a few weeks back was new JA Henckels cutlery.  Love it!

Still considering a BGE, but new truck accessories come first!  Maybe later this fall.

Nice! We could definitely use some new cutlery as well.

46 18,610
 08-01-2017, 10:27 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I would have ruled this thread 12 years ago.  My cook book collection makes all of my shaving gear look like a small travel kit by comparison.  I don't buy much cooking gear anymore because I have a lot.

My latest acquisitions are an 8 inch Mauviel M'Heritage Frying Pan, it's copper clad with a stainless steel interior and a kick ash basket for my BGE.

8 1,446
 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I just picked up a few dry rubs and a couple of cast iron skillets to use on the BGE.

[Image: pBN1ZRm.jpg]

46 18,610
 08-01-2017, 12:32 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I'm a sucker for cooking and kitchen gadgets. This is a Cinder cooker, I use it quite a bit and it works great for my needs.
[Image: roYztng.jpg]

11 659
 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-02-2017, 03:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 12:32 PM)doc47 Wrote: I'm a sucker for cooking and kitchen gadgets. This is a Cinder cooker, I use it quite a bit and it works great for my needs.
[Image: roYztng.jpg]

Nice Doc. How does a cinder cooker work?

46 18,610
 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Mail Call. My Bison air lighter arrived. I can now get my charcoal going in about a minute. Biggrin 

[Image: JChRYaC.jpg][Image: vvBwE7F.jpg]

46 18,610
 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(08-02-2017, 03:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 03:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 12:32 PM)doc47 Wrote: I'm a sucker for cooking and kitchen gadgets. This is a Cinder cooker, I use it quite a bit and it works great for my needs.

Nice Doc. How does a cinder cooker work?

It is induction cook where the cooking temperatures can be more precise. Throw a steak, burger (even frozen patties) set the doneness level (rare, med rare, med, etc.) You monitor the cooking remotely on a phone app and it lets you know when done. The great thing is if you're not ready to eat, the cooker maintains the temperature so no further cooking occurs. When ready to eat, set the device to sear and in 30-45 seconds you have a steak perfectly cooked. I've cooked bacon, burgers, steaks, chops and chicken with it and have been pleased. I like its convenience and for me that is its big selling point (plus grilling in snow storms hasn't yet proven effective for me).

11 659
 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:14 PM)doc47 Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 03:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Nice Doc. How does a cinder cooker work?

It is induction cook where the cooking temperatures can be more precise. Throw a steak, burger (even frozen patties) set the doneness level (rare, med rare, med, etc.) You monitor the cooking remotely on a phone app and it lets you know when done. The great thing is if you're not ready to eat, the cooker maintains the temperature so no further cooking occurs. When ready to eat, set the device to sear and in 30-45 seconds you have a steak perfectly cooked. I've cooked bacon, burgers, steaks, chops and chicken with it and have been pleased. I like its convenience and for me that is its big selling point (plus grilling in snow storms hasn't yet proven effective for me).

Ah...I think I did see one of these on the cooking channel awhile back. It sounds like an ingenious device.

46 18,610
 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:16 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 04:14 PM)doc47 Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 03:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Nice Doc. How does a cinder cooker work?

Ah...I think I did see one of these on the cooking channel awhile back. It sounds like an ingenious device.
Phil, you should go on line and watch the promo video it explains a lot better than I can.

11 659
 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
User Info
Did someone say something about cast iron.

This is a modern casting where the interior is machined (stone ground?) to a smooth finish.  It makes the pan lighter than modern offerings while still retraining heat. 

Took a season very well.  I used FLAK SEED oil without added vitamins/antioxidants; the refrigerated kind (there's a scientific reason for this if you Google it).

My favorite pan to use when I have time.

[Image: f7yPdTB.jpg]

18 655
 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM
User Info
OMG, I have to quit looking at this thread or my CIAD is going to explode!

0 177
 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:20 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Did someone say something about cast iron.

This is a modern casting where the interior is machined (stone ground?) to a smooth finish.  It makes the pan lighter than modern offerings while still retraining heat. 

Took a season very well.  I used FLAK SEED oil without added vitamins/antioxidants; the refrigerated kind (there's a scientific reason for this if you Google it).

That looks great Spencer. About how much lighter is it compared to similar size standard cast iron?

46 18,610
 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:50 PM)Red One Wrote: OMG, I have to quit looking at this thread or my CIAD is going to explode!

Biggrin

46 18,610
 08-02-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:52 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 04:20 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Did someone say something about cast iron.

That looks great Spencer. About how much lighter is it compared to similar size standard cast iron?

Since the are individually ground, there is variation. Standard is 4.5lb.

The 'big' guys don't list weight, but a #8 is about 10 inches at the top and 8.75 inches at the bottom. If amazon is to be believed a lodge about 5.7lb...

18 655
 08-02-2017, 08:26 PM
User Info
I did much the same thing to my CI pans decades ago with a smallish handheld grinder and a flexible head that accepts wet or dry paper. Did it for friends who showed up also. It just takes a few minutes to smooth things out.

Most of my CI pans are in mothballs today since steel works so much better. It conducts heat better, is lighter in the smaller sizes, and is much easier to keep seasoned. It also doesn't require my hand with the grinder.

Now the dutch oven, that's still CI.

32 6,470
 08-02-2017, 09:44 PM
User Info
This is a great thread! Keep it going! It almost makes me want to begin another disorder, but my wallet is tell me "No!".

31 739
 08-03-2017, 06:16 AM
User Info
Phil, cooking gear needn't be expensive. Forschner Victorinox consistently win the knife tests at ATK and for good reason. They are excellent knives at a reasonable price and have great steel. Our steel pans also won the test at ATK and are 1/2 the price of the also rans. Lots of times things are purchased to keep up to or make the Joneses envious, or to prove to others that one is a good cook by the acquisition of expensive or recognizable name brands. IMO that's a waste of $. One would be much better off in learning techniques to actually BE a great cook rather than just appearing to be a great cook through the ownership of expensive stuff.

I don't get involved in any of that. I just congratulate the owner and move on. If owning a $300 butter dish makes him/her a better cook, whether it does or not, OK. To me the food is what does the speaking and not the gear that made it. Having written that, sometimes specialized gear is called for to employ a technique or produce a dish. For instance, the ceramic cooker or a Sous Vide machine. Too, sometimes less expensive gear is just garbage. Our recent experience with our oven is a case in point. I think I posted about that a few years ago. But lots of times less expensive gear is actually better than the expensive stuff. Just take a walk through a cooking store and look at things with a critical eye. Much of it is intended to catch the cook and not actually do anything better. A lot of it is marketing and nothing more. "Buy this line of cookware and you too can cook like Chef so and so.". Of course it's BS but it sells at lot of gear. That's one reason I buy stuff from a food service supply store and spend little time in cooking stores.

32 6,470