08-03-2017, 06:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-03-2017, 06:16 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Phil, cooking gear needn't be expensive. Forschner Victorinox consistently win the knife tests at ATK and for good reason. They are excellent knives at a reasonable price and have great steel. Our steel pans also won the test at ATK and are 1/2 the price of the also rans. Lots of times things are purchased to keep up to or make the Joneses envious, or to prove to others that one is a good cook by the acquisition of expensive or recognizable name brands. IMO that's a waste of $. One would be much better off in learning techniques to actually BE a great cook rather than just appearing to be a great cook through the ownership of expensive stuff.

I don't get involved in any of that. I just congratulate the owner and move on. If owning a $300 butter dish makes him/her a better cook, whether it does or not, OK. To me the food is what does the speaking and not the gear that made it. Having written that, sometimes specialized gear is called for to employ a technique or produce a dish. For instance, the ceramic cooker or a Sous Vide machine. Too, sometimes less expensive gear is just garbage. Our recent experience with our oven is a case in point. I think I posted about that a few years ago. But lots of times less expensive gear is actually better than the expensive stuff. Just take a walk through a cooking store and look at things with a critical eye. Much of it is intended to catch the cook and not actually do anything better. A lot of it is marketing and nothing more. "Buy this line of cookware and you too can cook like Chef so and so.". Of course it's BS but it sells at lot of gear. That's one reason I buy stuff from a food service supply store and spend little time in cooking stores.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll check them out.

46 18,089
 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM
User Info
Also look into a knife sharpener. I have the Chef's Choice Trizor XV and I love the thing. For years I thought I knew how to sharpen a knife with a stone until I converted our knives over to the 15° angle and maintained them with the XV. My knives are always like razors now.

32 6,445
 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 07:37 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Also look into a knife sharpener. I have the Chef's Choice Trizor XV and I love the thing. For years I thought I knew how to sharpen a knife with a stone until I converted our knives over to the 15° angle and maintained them with the XV. My knives are always like razors now.

Damn it Brian. You have all the cool recommendations!

18 642
 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM
User Info
Thanks.

It took me years to come to the conclusion that life is just too short to tolerate substandard stuff. Save up if I have to, but buy good stuff once and have it forever (or for many years). Good gear makes it so much easier to get jobs completed with much less aggravation too. Of course if I'm only going to use something once and I don't care about longevity I'll buy junk with the idea that I'm probably going to dispose of it.

32 6,445
 08-03-2017, 02:13 PM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 09:11 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thanks.

It took me years to come to the conclusion that life is just too short to tolerate substandard stuff. Save up if I have to, but buy good stuff once and have it forever (or for many years). Good gear makes it so much easier to get jobs completed with much less aggravation too. Of course if I'm only going to use something once and I don't care about longevity I'll buy junk with the idea that I'm probably going to dispose of it.

+1 to this. 

My friends always look at me funny when I say I got something that's remotely 'overpriced' but it always turns out that I keep mine for longer that everyone else.

18 642
 08-03-2017, 02:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-03-2017, 07:37 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Also look into a knife sharpener. I have the Chef's Choice Trizor XV and I love the thing. For years I thought I knew how to sharpen a knife with a stone until I converted our knives over to the 15° angle and maintained them with the XV. My knives are always like razors now.

Thank you Brian! Will do!

46 18,089
 08-03-2017, 02:35 PM
User Info
A couple of weeks ago I got a pot similar to this. 

[Image: Y6PodcO.jpg]

I am very satisfied with it. It is heavy though.

8 1,064
 08-04-2017, 01:17 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I am going to try pizza for the first time on the green egg tonight so, I picked up a pizza paddle.

[Image: h2dVNfz.jpg]

46 18,089
 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Nice score Phil.  I have a wooden pizza peel and I wish I would have gotten a metal peel.  The wood is deteriorating at the edge and it's not as easy to clean as metal.

8 1,289
 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM
User Info
Sully, not all is well in dogpatch. Metal sticks more and is harder to use than wood. Phil, be sure you have plenty of semolina or cornmeal between the peel and the dough.

32 6,445
 08-04-2017, 02:22 PM
User Info
Phil, let's see a picture of that pizza!

48 5,727
 08-04-2017, 03:04 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-04-2017, 01:42 PM)Sully Wrote: Nice score Phil.  I have a wooden pizza peel and I wish I would have gotten a metal peel.  The wood is deteriorating at the edge and it's not as easy to clean as metal.
Thank you Shawn. They only had metal paddles so, it made my choice easy. Tongue
(08-04-2017, 01:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Sully, not all is well in dogpatch. Metal sticks more and is harder to use than wood. Phil, be sure you have plenty of semolina or cornmeal between the peel and the dough.
Thank you for the tip Brian. I have plenty of cornmeal and will definitely use it. Should I also use cornmeal on the pizza stone?
(08-04-2017, 02:22 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Phil, let's see a picture of that pizza!

Absolutely. I'll post pictures after the cook.

46 18,089
 08-04-2017, 06:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-04-2017, 02:22 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Phil, let's see a picture of that pizza!

Here you go.

[Image: A7KuYSw.jpg][Image: iHjujAc.jpg]

46 18,089
 08-04-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
Did you add a little smoke for flavor? The first time I had a pizza like that I was amazed!

26 986
 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-04-2017, 07:34 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Did you add a little smoke for flavor? The first time I had a pizza like that I was amazed!

I did. I added a few chunks of pecan wood. I am very pleased with the results...just like a wood fired pizza.

46 18,089
 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info
It's a little late for the answer. I never add any to the stone. What comes off of the peel is fine. If I do multiple pizzas I wipe the stone off of the burnt (I use) semolina from the first one. But I also use  pizza screens for the 2nd and so on multiple pizzas.

32 6,445
 08-04-2017, 07:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-04-2017, 07:52 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's a little late for the answer. I never add any to the stone. What comes off of the peel is fine. If I do multiple pizzas I wipe the stone off of the burnt (I use) semolina from the first one. But I also use  pizza screens for the 2nd and so on multiple pizzas.

Thanks Brian. I am going to try semolina next time. I did two pizzas and had a bit of trouble with the first one. I did use cornmeal on the paddle but apparently, I should have used more. The 2nd pizza was smooth as silk.

46 18,089
 08-04-2017, 10:08 PM
User Info
I find that semolina "polenta grind" is a bit more tolerant of heat and burning (you don't want flour if that's available). What I find comes in a vac' packed brick and when open is somewhat like Quaker cornmeal in texture, maybe a hair finer. Sorry, I don't have a brand name. Once I open it it goes into a jar and the packaging is trashed and forgotten.

Or just don't use it at all and use pizza screens. They're found at a food service supplier. They mostly sell to restaurants and such, but ours allows the public in. The yellow pages is your friend here. Just don't push the pizza dough into the screen or you'll never remove the pizza for slicing. Stretch it from underneath and let it settle onto the screen.

BTW, the best pizza dough recipe I have yet found is the ATK recipe. They say to use the dough within 3 days or some such, but a refrigerator that doesn't have inquiring eyes exploring every hour can actually reach cold temps and the dough is good for at least 10 days. That's what I've found with the refrigerator in the shop that hovers near 32°F . It's the best pizza dough you will ever sink a tooth into and the dough is a huge part of the flavor you want. I get rave reviews when we have a pizza party. I've tried Italian flour, but the best i've found so far is King Arthur. I prefer their bread flour but the AP flour also works fine. Also, never use a rolling pin. Instead take the round of dough and using the knuckles make an 8" round. Then stretch it. If it pulls back, let it relax, and that takes time. After it's the right size and rough shape it can go onto the peel or screen. Final shape can be stretched on those. Don't push down if using a screen. The screen doesn't allow the dough to pull back easily. I like pizza screens a lot. Cook it right on the screen and remove to a pizza tray for cutting and serving after cooked. It can't be removed before being cooked, the screen just won't allow it.

32 6,445
 08-05-2017, 02:33 AM
User Info
(08-04-2017, 06:48 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Here you go.

[Image: A7KuYSw.jpg][Image: iHjujAc.jpg]

Wow!  Looks great Phil!

48 5,727
 08-05-2017, 03:50 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Looks delicious Phil.

8 1,289